Doug's 65 Cyclone build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Joe Travers

Re: Doug's 65 Cyclone build

Post by Joe Travers »

Man, that's going to be a great car when you get it finished!
Are you cutting the towers just to gain header clearance or changing mills?

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Joe Travers wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:42 pm
Man, that's going to be a great car when you get it finished!
Are you cutting the towers just to gain header clearance or changing mills?

JT
The PO had cut the outer shock supports of the towers with a torch to get a set of Doug's long tube headers on the car so they were damaged anyway. I don't think the headers were for the car but I haven't checked the numbers yet-been busy with demolition and repair. Having just finished by 67 Barracuda with what seems like unlimited engine bay room by comparison I decided to gain room on this car and this led to the decision to cut the shock towers. Nothing to do with motor change but I want lots of underhood room on my cars. I will stay with a small block Windsor but haven't decided on the build specs yet. I'm considering a 351 W so more room will be an advantage. I have been told that Hooker #6102 are the only headers that will fit my car decently but I have a lot of runway before I have to make that decision.
DR------------out-------------
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

DesertRat wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:08 am
The PO had cut the outer shock supports of the towers with a torch to get a set of Doug's long tube headers on the car so they were damaged anyway. I don't think the headers were for the car but I haven't checked the numbers yet-been busy with demolition and repair.
I ran into a Cyclone many years ago that was torched the same way to fit a Boss 302 with headers. Pretty ratty job, didn't plate it back up and the engine bay was open to road grime. Yes, header choice is very limited and expensive for small block applications. Keep on keeping on! Nice work :)

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Joe Travers wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:54 am
DesertRat wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:08 am
The PO had cut the outer shock supports of the towers with a torch to get a set of Doug's long tube headers on the car so they were damaged anyway. I don't think the headers were for the car but I haven't checked the numbers yet-been busy with demolition and repair.
I ran into a Cyclone many years ago that was torched the same way to fit a Boss 302 with headers. Pretty ratty job, didn't plate it back up and the engine bay was open to road grime. Yes, header choice is very limited and expensive for small block applications. Keep on keeping on! Nice work :)

JT
Why would someone cut the engine compartment to fit a Boss?? I installed mine in 1972 using the same headers I have in the car today, no modifications needed except to convert to ‘65 style steering. Sounds like the guy thought with a torch instead of his brain.
It’s a tight fit but it can be done without cutting.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Sounds like the guy thought with a torch instead of his brain.

LOL. ,,,,
Oh ,,, ahh
Guilty :oops:
When I'm goin hard hackin sometimes I get carried away :roll:
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

A/FX wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:02 pm
Why would someone cut the engine compartment to fit a Boss??
IDK, Jim. It was a primer red '65.
May have been the same guy torched Doug's car. :lol:

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Joe Travers wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:21 pm
A/FX wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:02 pm
Why would someone cut the engine compartment to fit a Boss??
IDK, Jim. It was a primer red '65.
May have been the same guy torched Doug's car. :lol:

JT
The hack job for the headers is the tip of the iceberg. This car left the road at one time at a high rate of speed. I will be fixing a lot of damage. The 289 had 2 4V carburation and water in the oil. I hope it was leaking in at the intake but I'm not optimistic that the 289 is buildable. I know that the date code places the motor later than the car's build date. The T-10 seems ok and I will rebuild the transmission and differential. I'm pretty determined to make this car as nice as some of the cars I've seen on this site.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

DesertRat wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:01 pm
The 289 had 2 4V carburation and water in the oil. I hope it was leaking in at the intake but I'm not optimistic that the 289 is buildable. I know that the date code places the motor later than the car's build date. The T-10 seems ok and I will rebuild the transmission and differential. I'm pretty determined to make this car as nice as some of the cars I've seen on this site.
May just be a blown head gasket. Might not be a biggie. I'm keeping my eye on your build, waiting to see how the T-10 works out. I have the original T-10 in my '63. I need to learn a thing or two about that one. Keep on keeping on!

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Here are a few random photos of what I am having to deal with. Unloved and not respected this car has a new owner who put it in the car hospital to bring it back to new as-delivered glory. I think I got the car in the nick of time to save it. Left to it's own it would have been too far gone in another year.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

DesertRat wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:22 am
Here are a few random photos of what I am having to deal with. Unloved and not respected this car has a new owner who put it in the car hospital to bring it back to new as-delivered glory. I think I got the car in the nick of time to save it. Left to it's own it would have been too far gone in another year.
Too bad someone cut on it. Are you planning to make it like factory or modified? Someone out there must have a shock tower they removed when they installed a Mustang 2 suspension. If it was me I would have it dipped or blasted before repairs, it makes it so much easier to see cracks, plus welding clean material is so much better.
Good luck.
Jim

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Jim: The car has the original factory suspension. It never had M2 and I am not putting M2 in the car. On demolition I found that the car was virtually untouched except for some teenager quality chopping under the hood and interior.
Here in eastern Washington finding a place to dip it would mean travelling to Seattle I suppose. I was afraid to dip it-didn't think there would be enough to build afterword. Future photos will detail things further---------------DR-------------out.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

DesertRat wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:51 am
Jim: The car has the original factory suspension. It never had M2 and I am not putting M2 in the car.

What I was saying is that if you needed some donor shock towers or pieces someone might have the left over parts from when they cut their car to install the Mustang two system.
Most parts can be fabricated but the missing area above the engine mount would be difficult to fab.
Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I possibly could have some '64 towers if you are interested at all I can take pictures, let me know

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Thanks Mike: I am going to mock up my front suspension with the Shelby drop then I will cut the bulges out of the towers and plate them back with some 3/16" plate. I'm installing the tower reinforcement plates from the frame to the tower on the outside of the wheel well. I will maintain the structural integrity of the factory install but it will open up the engine bay width and make it easier to work under the hood. I appreciate the offer Mike. DR-----------Out-------
lavron wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:42 pm
I possibly could have some '64 towers if you are interested at all I can take pictures, let me know

See Ya,
Mike

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I couldn't see your pictures earlier but see them now, isn't the hole in the transmission hump correct? I believe from the factory they were a kinda rough cut but the fiberglass? 4-speed hump should cover it, possibly someone with a factory 4-speed can confirm.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058