Doug's 65 Cyclone build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: Doug's 65 Cyclone build

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

65Matt wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:23 pm
Hey Doug where did you get that hood with the scoops set back? I’ve never seen one like that, that looks good!

Matt
That hood was a late 65 optional factory hood. Not very common and hard to find. Similar to the factory 66 Cyclone hood. There was a guy in Louisville reproducing them about 10 years ago, but I haven't seen him around for a while.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Comatt

Post by Comatt »

Man I would love to find one. I know macs sells the repop cyclone hood but I think that one looks way better!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

DesertRat wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:25 pm
65Matt wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:23 pm
Hey Doug where did you get that hood with the scoops set back? I’ve never seen one like that, that looks good!

Matt
That's Jim's car, I would like to know that too.
DM
Jim's hood is one of the originals which have brought some big bucks 2500-3500 is the last range I saw them & they dont pop up very often. I bought one of the repops which have the functional snorkel bottom on them.I got it from Louisville Ky like Boss mentioned. Name of the guy is Glen Kerns, Kern's auto parts. He may be out of them,,, though I'm not sure. he does have a facebook page.

OH BTW, there is a guy making hoods ,he use to make the afx copies for Crites, like the one Mac's sells. he said he would make one like mine when he gets one to pull a mold from.
Johno

Comatt

Post by Comatt »

Thanks for the info!

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I answered Comatt's PM before I saw this post. Since the discussion was about my hood, I'll copy it here for the sake of continuity.

The hood is an original 65 Cyclone fiberglass hood that Merc made as a prototype for the 66 Cyclone steel hoods. There were only about 600 of them made. It's non-functional, i.e. the "openings" aren't really open, they're just blacked out. Comethead is the only other one on the forum that I know of with an original. Several, including poboyjo65, have a Crites fiberglass reproduction which is functional with a plenum underneath that can be cut for the air filter to fit into for ram induction. My car came with a stock steel hood, but the PO included the proto hood, which he was "saving since it was so rare". :roll: I figured that was like Aunt Lou putting plastic seat covers on the livingroom sofa to keep them clean, so I swapped them out.

Jim

comethead

Post by comethead »

Joe Travers wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:33 am
comethead wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:04 am
Hey Joe the shifter tunnel cover is the same for T10 and Toploader. Shifters are different though.

Thanks Joe! Yeah, know the rods are different but is the mounting plate different?
IOW, can the T-10 Hurst be bolted to the Toploader, change rods to work?

Joe II
Funny you should ask :lol: I bought a Toploader that had a T10 Hurst shifter installed on it with modified rods. I didnt realize it was for a T10 until I did a little research. It would get stuck in neutral and second gear. Never shifted right. When I found out what it was it all made sense. Ripped it off and installed the right one and never had a problem again.
The T10 Hurst mount plate puts the shifter body at a different angle than the Toploader mount plate. Also the shifter box arms are different. I found that all these differences in angles make it unusable for the wrong application.
Funny thing I bought a new Toploader Hurst for $550 and I sold the used T10 shifter for $450. Win! :D

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

comethead

Post by comethead »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:08 pm
I answered Comatt's PM before I saw this post. Since the discussion was about my hood, I'll copy it here for the sake of continuity.

The hood is an original 65 Cyclone fiberglass hood that Merc made as a prototype for the 66 Cyclone steel hoods. There were only about 600 of them made. It's non-functional, i.e. the "openings" aren't really open, they're just blacked out. Comethead is the only other one on the forum that I know of with an original. Several, including poboyjo65, have a Crites fiberglass reproduction which is functional with a plenum underneath that can be cut for the air filter to fit into for ram induction. My car came with a stock steel hood, but the PO included the proto hood, which he was "saving since it was so rare". :roll: I figured that was like Aunt Lou putting plastic seat covers on the livingroom sofa to keep them clean, so I swapped them out.

Jim
The original prototype hood looks much cooler than the AFX hood IMHO 8) And Jim yours looks badass in red!
Roy Pool said he and his fellow racers would trash those original glass hoods when they found them…just had no use for them in the late 60s and 70s. Oh man :x

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

comethead wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:03 am
Funny you should ask :lol:
Dang, Joe! Looks like I asked the right person :lol:

Joe II

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

comethead

Post by comethead »

Joe Travers wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:47 am
comethead wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:03 am
Funny you should ask :lol:
Dang, Joe! Looks like I asked the right person :lol:

Joe II
Yeah man! One tends to remember those types of automotive trauma :lol:
I recall being stuck in heavy traffic once with the old shifter. It must’ve gotten stuck in gear 20 times. Dude behind me probably thought I was a bonehead. Boy was I pissed off! :x

Joe

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Trying to keep progress going on my car build. All the glass and glass trim was unsuitable for use so I began the resto glass project. The end goal is to blow all the side glass apart, polish the glass and all the trim and reinstall the glass in new seating before taking to tint. I am working with a local glass shop who has done work on all my other builds and he gets it.
I had to cut the nut off with a chisel lest I do permanent damage to an irreplaceable item.
I can tell you how the wing windows come apart now:-) Side note, I have all the new Steele rubber on the shelf for this project already.
The brightwork ready for my 3 step air polishing routine.
Some of the brightwork polished and painted ready for glass and new bedding.
Imagefree image upload api
When the glass is all reassembled into the new bedding in the frames It goes to my tint guy for tint install then stored until needed.
While I was at it I ordered new front and back glass for the car. The back glass will go to tint with the rest of it and I will leave the windshield as is.
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Looks good Doug.

That is a lot of work pulling the glass out of the frames and re-bedding it. Hoping I don't have to go that far. Do you know what thickness the bedding/setting tape is just in case I have to do mine.

Glad to see you are making progress!

Thanks
Lou

JCBond

Post by JCBond »

When you have the original glass out what do you do with it? Do you just clean it up best you can or is there some other process that repairs the pitting and stuff? Just asking because your glass looks really nice and new.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Nice work.
I can appreciate the time and effort involved with removing, replacing, repairing, polishing, and reinstalling all the glass. I went through the same process for my Cyclone, I had all the non stainless parts rechromed and all the stainless professionally polished before I installed new glass all the way around, including power window operators.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

JCBond wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:04 pm
When you have the original glass out what do you do with it? Do you just clean it up best you can or is there some other process that repairs the pitting and stuff? Just asking because your glass looks really nice and new.
I tried to polish my existing glass but after hours of using a small buffing wheel and glass polishing compound I decided to just go with new glass. I installed a light green tint very similar to what the factory offered in their “Sun X” tint.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

JCBond

Post by JCBond »

Thanks! Where did you get the new glass?