Doug's 65 Cyclone build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
DesertRat

Re: Doug's 65 Cyclone build

Post by DesertRat »

I had the color custom mixed for application with my paint gun. I prepped with Sem vinyl prep and applied two coats of color followed with two coats of satin clear topcoat also applied with my paint gun. The color I chose was tough to work with, I put it on my paint shaker just before painting, it liked to separate. After redoing some small parts I dialed the system in and got everything to work.
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Here are a couple random photos. I Dynamatted the front firewall and floor back to the rear firewall solid.
Below is a generic showing how I am blocking the lines to the tape to crisp up the lines. Big difference if one does it.
Next I paint the dash the finish interior color and mask it off for the duration.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Great work Doug!!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Looks great Doug, really nice work!

I remember blocking mine, not the smallest qtr panels. A lot of work.

Lou

iglooman

Post by iglooman »

Thats is one awesome beast!

And deserves what you are giving it.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Nice work, Doug!

Hope the desert sun isn't beating you up too much. :(

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Joe Travers wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:50 am
Nice work, Doug!

Hope the desert sun isn't beating you up too much. :(

Joe
I start at 7:00 AM and work until it is to hot to continue, about 90 degrees. I have a little spot primer to paint after 400 wet.dry on the glaze then it is ready for final block with 400. Then sealer and color. I am changing the color of the dash so I will paint it finish color and mask it off before color. I still have to run the doors, fenders, hood and trunk through third blocking and final primer before finish blocking, sealer and color. I am grateful to be retired to build this car :D

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

DesertRat wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:20 am
I start at 7:00 AM and work until it is to hot to continue, about 90 degrees. I have a little spot primer to paint after 400 wet.dry on the glaze then it is ready for final block with 400. Then sealer and color. I am changing the color of the dash so I will paint it finish color and mask it off before color. I still have to run the doors, fenders, hood and trunk through third blocking and final primer before finish blocking, sealer and color. I am grateful to be retired to build this car :D
Yeah, if I get anything done it is before 90 deg. hits around Noon. Took a spin this morning while it was bearable.
Can't wait for the first paint pics! 8)

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

I changed the color of my interior hard surfaces from red to gray. Photo 1 is dash in primer.
The next two photos are the dash with finish color, single stage paint.
Moving on to final blocking on the panels-the car on the rotisserie is ready for final blocking and sealer.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Looks good, can't wait to see it all come together.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

I am getting close to panel painting the color, the final blocking primer is on the unibody and doors. I installed the doors today to gap and match the lines at the rear of the doors. I will tune it a little more tomorrow with fresh eyes then roll it out and start working the lines and gap. Nothing but flat panels and body lines on this car. A real test of perseverance for the "owner built" crowd.
Imagehost image online

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Looks Great Doug!

Can't wait to see it in color. What did you use for the firewall behind the rear seat?

And Happy Birthday!

Lou

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:09 am
Looks Great Doug!

Can't wait to see it in color. What did you use for the firewall behind the rear seat?

And Happy Birthday!

Lou
Lou: I used 16Ga or 18Ga steel for this one. On the blue one on my signature I used aluminum. I like the steel better though, I made a cardboard template and transferred it to the steel for the pattern.

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Here are some photos of my car. I am assembling it to gap the panels and match the body lines. It is suspended from the suspension points now but I will lift it on my rotisserie and roll it out to the priming and blocking. Has anyone had to change their hood hinges because they wont keep alignment?
I has to install the hood latch because widening the core support for the larger radiator I lost a couple of mounting points.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

I had the same issue when fitting the hood on mine, every time I had the gaps set they would change once the hood was open then closed. I tried to tighten up the factory hinges but I was not satisfied with that route. I ordered a reproduction set of early Mustang hinges ( not the cheap ones, go for the quality set) the problem was solved immediately. The hood opened better, and it closed with the gap not changing, and there was no side to side movement of the hood.
Well worth the investment.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”