Doug's 65 Cyclone build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Jims65cyclone

Re: Doug's 65 Cyclone build

Post by Jims65cyclone »

DesertRat wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:34 pm
One of the biggest things I have found to be beneficial is building a spreadsheet on everything I buy for the car.
My brother from another mother!! :lol: I have several.

Jim
Last edited by Jims65cyclone on Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

My rear firewall project. I made a template from cardboard and transferred it to 16 GA steel plate.
I painted the cutout plate with a coat of epoxy primer and a coat of single stage with a brush, I didn't want to clean the gun for a small job.
Here is the installed plate ready for seam sealer.
This brings me to the "down to bare metal" stage. I am taking the outside original paint off and with my DA I am sanding it down to bare metal.
I think I know a place that will dip the doors, fenders, hood and trunk lids so I don't have to sand that old paint off. I will talk to them Monday.
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Hey Doug looks good.
That panel may rattle either by itself or against the seat springs. ,,,,Been there when I drag raced mine with a rear firewall similiar to yours.
Just a thought.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Thanks Fred: I did an aluminum one in the blue 404. This one I will seam seal all around and contact cement some closed cell foam to it for sound deadener. It will never see a track so it is just for safety and comfort. It is amazing how tight it makes the interior of the car, I like it.
Douglas----------------

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Don't ever lock your keys in the trunk. :roll: :lol:

Jim

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

It's 95 to 105 degrees by noon here every day dammit. I'm sanding my car down to bare metal so it's start by 7:00 AM and quit by noon.
So far it has been all DA and 60 grit but I have some abrasive wheels coming from Eastwood.
I was going to dip the doors and other parts but decided against it. It will be all hand prep-------------
Hoping to have the body on primer next weekend but we'll see------------------
DR

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Looking good, Doug. Yes, in the house by Noon here as well.
How is the humidity?

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

In the process of sanding the car to bare metal I find the drivers door has an old repair that doesn't meet specs. I would like to buy a left side Comet 2D HT door or a new door skin. I have given a cursory look and haven't found anything. Can anyone help with this?
Douglas---------------will a 1964Comet door work?

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

DesertRat wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:41 pm
In the process of sanding the car to bare metal I find the drivers door has an old repair that doesn't meet specs. I would like to buy a left side Comet 2D HT door or a new door skin. I have given a cursory look and haven't found anything. Can anyone help with this?
Pretty sure a 1964 Comet door will work. Actually think 64-65 comets and Falcons share the same doors, given the same models. Hardtop to hardtop, sedan to sedan.

Lou

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

DesertRat wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:41 pm
A

‘64 & ‘65 Comets and Falcons of the same body style share the same doors, although the trim mounting holes may differ.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Thanks for the information guys. I will dig deeper for a new door. I think I can buy a 65 falcon 2D hardtop door from one of the usual suspects.
Douglas

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

DesertRat wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:05 am
I think I can buy a 65 falcon 2D hardtop door from one of the usual suspects.
As Jim mentioned, the Falcon has a wide side molding covering the center body line, unlike the Cyclone. Going to have to plug those trim mounting holes with welds and do a bit of grinding. Might be a bit tough getting some copper backing behind the skin. Check out Comethead Joe's track Falcon. You can see the mounting holes above and below the trim line.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea 64 & 65 falcon have trim holes in the cove as well as 64 caliente.65 caliente has a set of trim holes at the bottom & top of door for rocker & beltline moulding. so 64 & 65 cyclone is you best donor with no trim holes to fill.
Johno

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

I have been working on my Comet as often as I can. Here are some photos of my quest to get the car down to bare metal and sealed with epoxy primer and sandable primer. The first photo is the car ready for wipe down and epoxy primer.
The second photo is me painting in my driveway hoping the wind doesn't come up.
The third photo is the car sunday after spraying the epoxy primer.
The fourth photo is this morning after getting about 100 ounces of high build sandable primer on the car.
I am using Eastwood abrasive discs to strip the paint off all the body parts and start from bare metal. It is a grueling nasty dirty dangerous job but it is the only way I can see to get the car where I want it.
Douglas-------------

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Lookin' good! With all this going on in front of your house, I'm surprised some neighborhood child entrepreneur hasn't set up a lemonade stand, some folding chairs and started charging admission to watch. :lol: :lol:

Jim