poboyjo65

Re: ‘65 Cyclone on BAT

Post by poboyjo65 »

Joe Travers wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:12 pm
Hey, Jim! Access the secret number to your Swiss bank account :P
https://classics.autotrader.com/classic ... /101412151

JT

Joe you're probably gonna like this one best.

Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:51 pm
Joe you're probably gonna like this one best.

Nah, don't like ragtops, John :wink:

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

comethead

Post by comethead »

On the 65 Cyclone, is it me or is the shifter in the wrong location for a 4 speed? Seems to be in the middle of the hump.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

comethead wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:42 am
On the 65 Cyclone, is it me or is the shifter in the wrong location for a 4 speed? Seems to be in the middle of the hump.

Joe
Yes, the Hurst seems to be centered in the trans tunnel. The seller did not include detailed photos of the undercarriage to help determine why the shifter is in this location.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Joe Travers wrote:

JT
I'd take AFX's 64 over that muesum piece everyday!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Jim, did you look at the 64 pics in the link?
Couple things, 65 steering, have you ever seen a 64 Caliente radio block out with the woodgrain on the blockout?
Wonder if anybody that has done the upper control arm mod for the 427 street drives the car,, how does it handle?
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

SASSY wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:46 am
I'd take AFX's 64 over that muesum piece everyday!
I would too, Fred. :D
I love to drive 'em, not stare at 'em. :lol:

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

A/FX wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:42 am
Yes, the Hurst seems to be centered in the trans tunnel. The seller did not include detailed photos of the undercarriage to help determine why the shifter is in this location.
That is strange. The tunnel hump appears @ 0:14 on the video. :?:

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

SASSY wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:45 am
Jim, did you look at the 64 pics in the link?
Couple things, 65 steering, have you ever seen a 64 Caliente radio block out with the woodgrain on the blockout?
Wonder if anybody that has done the upper control arm mod for the 427 street drives the car,, how does it handle?
Fred
Fred,
all of the A/FX Comets were Caliente’sso the woodgrain was correct. Here is the Tom Coward car: https://www.hemmings.com/stories/articl ... -calliente
It shows the radio plate in the pictures. This is the car that was owned by Joel Kanois and raced under the Kanois Enterprises banner, I borrowed the hood from this car to make the mold for the hood that is on my Comet today.
I guess we have made this thread more about the ‘64 Comet race cars instead of the ‘65 Cyclone on BAT.
Jim

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Joe Travers wrote:

JT
Joe,
I have seen the ads for this car, the car looks fantastic, almost too nice. Makes me think that there is more going on with it. All early race cars were cut up in a weekly basis to keep up with the competition, this car shows no sign of these modifications. I know for a fact that the Tom Coward car looks almost as nice as this one but it has a new body. I know how cut up it was prior to the restoration, I saw it many times. Strange how with all the pictures of this car they do not show the disclaimer plate that should be mounted inside of the glove box. Every A/FX and I believe B/FX car had one. I saw it on the Tom Coward/Kanois car back in the ‘70’s. What is very cool about the McCoy Comet is all of the Fiberglas parts, the deck lid, doors, hood and front fenders are glass. Although the front fenders do not look like the original Plaza Glas items, the original style had the end cap and the fender as piece, no seem between them. This car and the” New” Coward car show them as separate parts. The Chrisman, Nicholson, and others I have seen have the one piece fenders.
Note the fenders and hood on this example: https://youtu.be/JXfcBNPb3Y4
Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

A/FX wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:18 pm
Although the front fenders do not look like the original Plaza Glas items, the original style had the end cap and the fender as piece, no seem between them. This car and the” New” Coward car show them as separate parts. The Chrisman, Nicholson, and others I have seen have the one piece fenders.
I agree, more likely a tribute car, just like the Mecum car you posted a few days ago. Build it and they will come :wink:
Not interested, just a friendly joke. :D

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Joe Travers wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:18 pm
A/FX wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:18 pm
Although the front fenders do not look like the original Plaza Glas items, the original style had the end cap and the fender as piece, no seem between them. This car and the” New” Coward car show them as separate parts. The Chrisman, Nicholson, and others I have seen have the one piece fenders.
I agree, more likely a tribute car, just like the Mecum car you posted a few days ago. Build it and they will come :wink:
Not interested, just a friendly joke. :D

JT
Actually I believe both of the cars I mentioned were real at one time, they have been “restored” with donor parts to make them like they were in ‘64. The last time I saw the Tom Coward car before it was “restored” there was nothing left of the original body worth saving except the roof. The 1/4 panels were very butchered, the inner fender panels-shock towers were gone, the firewall was all but non existent, and the whole floor pan had rotted away. Even some of the fiberglas parts were in sad condition. I remember it having a beam axle from an old Ford under the front, it was too wide so someone cut it half removed a section and butt welded it back together!! It had a seat from a school desk mounted with angle iron for the driver. The rear wheel openings almost touched the rear of the doors.(altered wheelbase)
I tried to buy it many times but it was not for sale, I settled for borrowing the hood and pulling a mold from it.
Jim

comethead

Post by comethead »

A/FX wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:42 am
comethead wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:42 am

Joe
I wonder if the car has a T5 and the seller doesn’t even realize it. He oughta try to shift into 5th gear....he might be pleasantly surprised.
I like the car but the main selling point of a Cyclone is it being a Cyclone. This one has enough Cyclone parts missing to make it a hard buy depending on the price.
Interior, console, tach, and rocker trim aren’t cheap.
Just an opinion. What the hell do I know...I have a Calinete! :D
Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed