Shelby drop

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Racersonly

Shelby drop

Post by Racersonly »

As I understand it, it drops the inner upper arm 1” and can improve the handling in early Mustangs. I also understand that the 65 Comet shares the same arm and can be changed the same way, with the same template as a guide. Have any of you tried this? Thoughts?
Jack Bartelt
1965 Comet Caliente Convertible

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: Shelby drop

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

I did it on my 65. I redid the front suspension at the same time so hard to say how much it helped.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

It increases available camber in the front suspension keeping more of the tire surface in contact with the road. The amount of drop varies with the equipment between 1" and 1 3/8" depending on the aftermarket equipment used. Be sure to use a provided template guide when drilling the new pilot holes. The location is critical that the drop be straight down, without a template guide provided it would be easy to do damage to your suspension. I will be doing it on my car when the new equipment comes.
The camber solution can be provided with offset upper a arms and adjustable strut rods as well without doing the drop. The drop won't change your stance enough to notice if that is your goal.
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

The goal of the drop as I see it is to increase camber gain in bump.
Unless you are driving your car to traction limits in a corner you probably won't notice the change.
Anything you can do to increase positive castor will help your car run true down the highway but power steering will be necessary by about 4°pos for normal arms.
Fred
Last edited by SASSY on Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

The template I used also moved the new holes back 1/8" to improve camber.
tom
tomb's 65

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

tomb22 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:23 pm
The template I used also moved the new holes back 1/8" to improve camber.
tom
Yes it moves the upper ball joint toward the back of the car a little bit.

luc3ch

Post by luc3ch »

I also did the down 1 inch and back 1/8 inch. Can't tell if it helped anything, but then I did it with a full suspension rebuild. So it was so bad beforehand it's hard to compare.
1964 Comet Caliente, 302, upgraded to Toploader, front disk brakes ready for 2021 season after the snow melts!

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

SASSY wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:14 pm
Anything you can do to increase negative castor will help your car run true down the highway
You mean increase the positive caster, don't you Fred? :? Increasing the amount of positive caster will increase steering effort and straight line tracking, as well as improve high speed stability and cornering effectiveness. The Shelby Drop moves the upper control arm back 1/8", increasing positive caster, and drops it 1", gaining more negative camber which improves cornering by keeping the tire more vertical in the turns, keeping more rubber in contact with the pavement.

Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:09 pm
SASSY wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:14 pm
Anything you can do to increase negative castor will help your car run true down the highway
You mean increase the positive caster, don't you Fred? :? Increasing the amount of positive caster will increase steering effort and straight line tracking, as well as improve high speed stability and cornering effectiveness. The Shelby Drop moves the upper control arm back 1/8", increasing positive caster, and drops it 1", gaining more negative camber which improves cornering by keeping the tire more vertical in the turns, keeping more rubber in contact with the pavement.

Jim
Thanks Jim I will correct my post!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I dont think you gain any caster with the shelby drop. the way the tower leans back & the angle of the UCA holes,,the 1/8 back is to just so the holes drop straight down in relation to the LCA vs straight down from the holes ,,,but it keeps you from loosing any +caster.
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Agreed.
Fred

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

You gain +caster two ways. One can move the upper ball joint 3 degrees to the back of the car (IE Global West upper A-arms) or you can put in an adjustable strut rod and pull the lower arm forward. Or a combination of both. The stock shims accomplish this on a stock setup.
The same is true for Mopar. On my A-Body Barracuda it is accomplished with offset upper a arm bushings. The front bushing is installed to move the front of the arm away from the frame and the rear bushing is installed to move the rear of the arm toward the frame moving the upper ball joint toward the rear of the car. It made a world of difference on my 67 notch Mopar.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Fred, I can't remember, was it you who repositioned the upper ball joints in the control arm in order to increase positive caster? Seems I remember someone on here made that modification. :?

Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I modded the uppers for more negative camber.
I pulled the lower forward for more postive :D
castor but it removed the ability to achieve static negative camber adjustment on the upper shims.
Clear as mud?
Fred

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

:)
Jim you & I talked about the ball joint move in pm's. I said I would do it if I ever tore back in to it. Lots of good tips like that on the opentracker site.
:)
they talk about moving for camber & caster, & they had another one to move the BJoint dome for even more. also moving the spr perch out 1'' if I ever go back in. all the little things add up

link :arrow: https://opentrackerracing.com/innovations/
Johno