Shelby drop

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
tomb22

Re: Shelby drop

Post by tomb22 »

So how much positive caster do you guys shoot for? Right now I have 4.125 degrees and .125 degrees negative camber. The car drives like a dream so I'm quite happy with it, but I'm going to be redoing the front suspension and will have to realign it. I'm going to a coil over shock and I want to raise the front 1"
tom
tomb's 65

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:55 pm
:)
Jim you & I talked about the ball joint move in pm's. I said I would do it if I ever tore back in to it. Lots of good tips like that on the opentracker site.
THAT'S where I remember it from! :oops: No wonder I couldn't find it in the threads. I'll go back through our PM's.
Disclaimer: Just celebrated another birthday. More brain cells lost. :roll:

Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:18 am
Disclaimer: Just celebrated another birthday. More brain cells lost
Do you have any idea on how many are left?

I really don't need any my wife pretty much reminds me of everything I have or have not done :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

lavron wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:26 am
Jims65cyclone wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:18 am
Disclaimer: Just celebrated another birthday. More brain cells lost
Do you have any idea on how many are left?

I really don't need any my wife pretty much reminds me of everything I have or have not done :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Ya but she wouldn't remember what type or size fasteners hold the gas tank in,,, I don't think. LOL
Priorities!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

tomb22 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:53 pm
So how much positive caster do you guys shoot for? Right now I have 4.125 degrees and .125 degrees negative camber. The car drives like a dream so I'm quite happy with it, but I'm going to be redoing the front suspension and will have to realign it. I'm going to a coil over shock and I want to raise the front 1"
tom
all you can get Tom! 4 I wish I could have got 4!!
Johno

power band

Post by power band »

I like this chart for 'modern settings'
> but the 'high performance setting sound severe at @ -2.5 camber = /--\ and 9 degree caster !

I run up to @ - .5 degree Camber and @ 3 to 4 degrees Caster with manual steering.

The '61 setup:

Image .Image

have fun

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Do you think there is a problem with having the shim stacks more than 9/16" which I have and I know I have more than 1/32" difference between them. I used a breaker bar to tighten the 3/4" bolts up. The one problem I had was the grease fitting on the side of the upper a arm began to hit the shock tower so I drilled a hole thru the shock tower to alleviate that.
tom
tomb's 65

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I did a far amount of PMs with a guy on the old TFFN who ran a strong beauty built 63 Falcon hardtop in time attack. Pretty sure he said his car was happiest at 7-9° positive on track.
Im somewhere 7-8° never wrote it down,, forget. The EPS is now useful and the castor returns it to center.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Tom, although your shim stack is probably ok, have you considered adjustable strut rods?
I sloted the front hole on the lower Aarm mount to allow the lower to go further forward. Once happy with the position I tacked a washer over the hole and locked down the nut.
Some pics to study.
https://cometcentral.com/photos/album/eCCU

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

SASSY wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:17 pm
Tom, although your shim stack is probably ok, have you considered adjustable strut rods?
I sloted the front hole on the lower Aarm mount to allow the lower to go further forward. Once happy with the position I tacked a washer over the hole and locked down the nut.

When I aligned the car I was looking for 4 degrees caster and I achieved it so I was satisfied and to me it drives really well. I know I don't have much clearance with the front wheels in front to the fender, but I could always get a smaller diameter tire. I went back and read your post on your steering and saw what you have done and accomplished. Very impressive. I'll see where I'm at with my new coil overs and maybe I'll have to go down some of the roads you did.
tom
tomb's 65