65 2 speed intermittent wipers switch.

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Longroofcomet

65 2 speed intermittent wipers switch.

Post by Longroofcomet »

So I was in need of a headlight and wiper switch for my 65, and found a couple locally for $25 for both.

This wiper switch, I think is a 2 speed with Vacuum delay, I'm not sure. Part number is C5GB-17A553-D. Fellow thought it came out of a 64 cyclone but that part number suggests a 65.

There's 9 total contacts, 2 vacuum ports, a circuit breaker (I think) and it has a larger knob and a smaller knob in the larger knob. From what little info I can find on this switch there needs to be a governer box that I don't have, but I'm not sure.

I don't know what my 65 had in it for wipers as someone swiped the whole wiring harness and wiper motor before I got to it. All I know is it has the foot pedal washer setup. Think it's worth the trouble to gather the rest of the parts for the intermittent wipers?
PXL_20210208_021905845.jpg
PXL_20210208_021905845.jpg (197.39 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
PXL_20210208_021913502.jpg
PXL_20210208_021913502.jpg (210.22 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
PXL_20210208_021924866.jpg
PXL_20210208_021924866.jpg (185.85 KiB) Viewed 1070 times

Joe Travers

Re: 65 2 speed intermittent wipers switch.

Post by Joe Travers »

Pretty rare and really convenient option. Can't say I've ever seen one, myself.
If it were me? I'd grab the shop manual and hunt for parts if you aren't in a hurry. JMO
Lots of folks get perturbed about hunting but I think it's the fun part of owning a Comet. :wink:

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

They were junk. I had a nos one & a guy pointed out to me that it was cracked after I had sold it just by looking at my pics. the black plastic around the shaft in the back is or was pretty much cracked from early on. He said some of the later switches had brass around that shaft but he had abandoned it all. if you want the intermittent wipers it is a common upgrade for falcon & comets ,stangs to get the module & switch from a 73-79 ford truck with intermittent wipers.
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:22 am
They were junk. I had a nos one & a guy pointed out to me that it was cracked after I had sold it just by looking at my pics. the black plastic around the shaft in the back is or was pretty much cracked from early on.
Was it Bakelite?
I remember the original distributor caps got brittle and cracked from heat under the hood.
Control knobs cracked too from heat down here in the Summer.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Probably. not certain but most likely. I think they were probably over compressing it during the manufacturing process too.

I forgot to mention I have the vacuum governor that goes out on the firewall on a shelf. but it's a lost cause trying to make this system work.
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:08 am
I forgot to mention I have the vacuum governor that goes out on the firewall on a shelf. but it's a lost cause trying to make this system work.
I'm wondering if a repop is out there that is more durable than the Bakelite? For the cost, I'm sure the Ford truck conversion would be much more affordable and practical. Would be cool factor to have a factory setup that actually worked well if it doesn't break the bank. JMO

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

If you haven't seen it here is a link to the video I made upgrading my '64 wipers from single speed into two speed with intermittent, I guess it depends on how much of a purist you are, you cannot tell I did this upgrade from he dash or switch except the knob operates a little different to set the delay speed and it can be pushed to work the windshield washer/squirter, it all went together suprisingly easy and it is all Ford parts.

Intermittant Wiper Modification on my '64 Comet

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Thanks for the tutorial, Mike! :D
I'm not a purist but would like to keep the control knob (appearance) original. I'm running one speed motor as well but this looks like a cool upgrade. If I can use the stock chrome knob, I'm happy. Also looking at a possible manual choke conversion, if I can find a cable with same threaded end to mount the stock knob that's screwed in as a block-off. My car came with automatic choke originally but the block-off would appear original.

Thanks again!

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Joe Travers wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:34 am
I'm not a purist but would like to keep the control knob (appearance) original.
I used my original knob, the shaft is the same at least for a '64, you would have to get one of the truck switches and see if your knob fits it, I am betting it will fit.

The only difference is it sticks out a tiny bit more because of the washer switch has to be able to be pushed in, none of it is noticeable to me and you know I am OCD on the Comet appearance :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

lavron wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:49 am
none of it is noticeable to me and you know I am OCD on the Comet appearance :roll:
You aren't the Lone Ranger :P I'm a little OCD about it myself :D
Why I'm digging that funky looking control knob that Longroof has in his pics. I like quirky gadgets.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Joe Travers wrote:
Also looking at a possible manual choke conversion
Missed that one, I had one mounted under the dash like the fresh air vent knob (which you could use one of those knobs) I did not have an open spot in the dash to use one, right now it looks like I will go with the electric chokes because they seem to be working well, I was going to do manual chokes again but decided to wire up the electric ones and see how well it worked and I think it worke ok plus the carbs going on the engine have an anti-diesel solenoid that I hope the two can share a circuit ( the solenoids are active when the motor is running and when they have no power they close shutting off the fuel to the carb idle circuit, I think, I haven't messed with one yet to see exactly how it works )

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

lavron wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:30 pm
Joe Travers wrote:
Also looking at a possible manual choke conversion
Missed that one, I had one mounted under the dash like the fresh air vent knob (which you could use one of those knobs) I did not have an open spot in the dash to use on
One last post on the subject, don't want to get too far off the wiper thing. The '63 has an open spot in the dash, just like the older Ford cars. The 260 car came with automatic choke. The hole in the dash is plugged with a dummy knob which is identical to the others. The knob is held into place with a fine thread screw from the back side of the dash. If I can find a cable with any knob with the same thread, I can swap knobs and it's a done deal. Cables are cheap, may have to go through a few to find the right one. I'll post on the '63 board if I find the right one.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Longroofcomet

Post by Longroofcomet »

Well thanks all for the replies. I've been doing more research and it seems like all the parts are hard to find, and it doesn't sound like it's worth the effort to me. I really only wanted the switch bezel and retaining nut anyway.

I might use this switch without the wash and intermittent function, since I have the foot pedal washer, and play with wiring this switch just as a 2 speed wiper switch. I already have this switch, so might as well right?
I've been contemplating in my head 3D printing different electrical connectors, might give it a try for a connector for this wiper switch

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Longroofcomet wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:28 pm
I've been contemplating in my head 3D printing different electrical connectors, might give it a try for a connector for this wiper switch
That sounds cool as heck! Please post pics of your work, if you decide to run with it.
I did a lot of 3D drafting years ago but never got the opportunity to use the 3D printer. My son has built a few things like old-school game controllers.

Thanks!

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop