Headlight and Horn Relays

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
comethead

Headlight and Horn Relays

Post by comethead »

I took my son out for a long drive last weekend in the Comet. Stayed out longer than we should have and ended up driving on a desert highway at night. Without the city lights lighting up the road I realized how dismal my headlights are.
Cometchero Ron used to always say you could get brighter lights by running relays https://www.cometcentral.com/forum/view ... =9&t=14692 so I think that’s what I’m gonna do.
Found this kit to make it easier https://www.npdlink.com/product/headlig ... tronix-llc.
I should be able to run sealed beam halogen headlights with that harness and get them to shine bright.

I’m also going to get a horn relay harness while I’m screwing around with wiring https://www.npdlink.com/product/relay-k ... 195993/452

Any ideas or better (or cheaper) kits out there?

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Jims65cyclone

Re: Headlight and Horn Relays

Post by Jims65cyclone »

comethead

Post by comethead »

Thanks Jim!

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

So just for my understanding, what would happen if you ran those headlights without that harness? it looks like those bulbs on the new lights would plug right into the old headlight plugs on the cars harness.
1964 Mercury Comet 404 with 347 stroker

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Could possible burn up the existing wires or sockets. Would be bad if something caught on fire. The new lamps draw more current then the existing ones.
tom
tomb's 65

Samppafin

Post by Samppafin »

Hi,

There will be big risk for burning if you use excisting wires with H4 bulbs. Those need more current (AMP) and it means heat as well so those wires need to upgrade to thicker ones. I did upgrade the head light system last summer for my Comet 64 and those are much brighter now. You just need 2.5mm2 wires, two 12V relays and two fuses and H4 sockets for 4 lights and some connectors and heat-shrink tube. I can add also drawing for wiring and connection if you need but every time I am adding it is said that file is too large?

Sami
Mercury Comet Caliente 289 V8 - 1964

comethead

Post by comethead »

smithhe wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:12 am
So just for my understanding, what would happen if you ran those headlights without that harness? it looks like those bulbs on the new lights would plug right into the old headlight plugs on the cars harness.
I’ve also read that nothing happens. They’re not any brighter than the sealed beam incandescent bulbs because they’re just not getting the power they need to shine bright. But I’m no electrician.

Joe

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Samppafin wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:30 am
Hi,

There will be big risk for burning if you use excisting wires with H4 bulbs. Those need more current (AMP) and it means heat as well so those wires need to upgrade to thicker ones. I did upgrade the head light system last summer for my Comet 64 and those are much brighter now. You just need 2.5mm2 wires, two 12V relays and two fuses and H4 sockets for 4 lights and some connectors and heat-shrink tube. I can add also drawing for wiring and connection if you need but every time I am adding it is said that file is too large?
I'd be interested in your drawing, Sami. If you can convert it to .jpg file, you can post it following John's instructions:
https://www.cometcentral.com/forum/view ... =1&t=16011

Jim

Samppafin

Post by Samppafin »

Hi,

Here is wiring diagram of head light upgrade of my car. Hopefully it helps...

Sami

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Thanks, Sami. I understand the 2.5mm2 wire is equivalent to 14AWG, but what do PU and MU stand for? :?

Jim

Samppafin

Post by Samppafin »

Hi Jim,

I bet you can not understand those...its finnish 😆. They are only colors, PU (punainen) is RED in english and MU (musta) is BLACK in english. Please ask if there is more unclear in my hand made diagram.

I connected 12V voltage of head lights from start solenoid + connectors (2 red wires on left in pic) but it is also possible to connect directly to battery + connectors:

I did assembly common fuse box for high and low head lights with 2 fuse + 2 spare near battery. You can also seen ground connectors, 2 black wires behind battery:

I bought Mahle's two 12V relays combined in same body, for example https://m.motonet.fi/fi/tuote/481861/Ka ... -12V-2x40A
I did assembly it just under the regulator:

This is not the most beautiful assembly style because of thick and visible red wires but I tried to use more old drillings with components as well as ground connections. Maybe you can use only black wires for more beautiful style 😉.

Hopefully those pics helps you?

Sami

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Thanks, Sami. I thought they were probably colors, but thought I'd ask. Thanks for the info.

Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

The nice thing about the harness is it is cheap and uses youe existing headlight wiring ahead of the relay so it is plug and play in that sense the bulbs I used are all pinned the same Hi beam & lowbeam with just the appropriate connector wired up to use stock plugs you might have to break or bend a blade on the headlight I did not want to do that :roll: just plug a new headlight in if I ever needed too (all the lights are pinned out as high beams the harness was designed for halogen lighting that does run really hot but I put the LED bulbs in but they have fans built in so who knows. I figured over build in this case to save headache latter, mine are really bright now but have not had it out on the road at night yet :? I do know they are way brighter than the old sealed beams and stock wiring l will find the link back to mythread I that (I go go into over detailing what I the components I used :D I think it is under Bodyshop, wiring ideas for your car around page 10 or so.

See Ya,
Mike & good luck
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058