Asking your advice on simple build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
sixtyfourcaliente

Asking your advice on simple build

Post by sixtyfourcaliente »

NEED YOUR INPUT ON THIS PROJECT:
1964 Comet Claiente Convertible

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! (additional upgrades, advice on install, parts contacts) THANKS!!!

PART ONE - Motor
2121 Performer intake manifold
Demon Junior 525 CFM
Mallory electronic ignition, high output coil
Gen to Alt conversion (130 AMP)
Aluminum high output water pump
Possible aluminum pully conversion
Aluminum Valve covers, oil breather, air filter

PART TWO - Suspension
Front coils
Rear leaf springs
Front sway bars
Rear sway bars
Upgraded bushings
Idler Arm (Do these really help sterring slop?)
Coil perches (very squeaky right now)
Looks like my main steering hydraulic unit is leaking... near the transmission. (looks like a stabilizer shock, but is part of the power steering system) Any leads on parts for this unit?

THANKS!

4-2vcyclone
Comet Central Member

Post by 4-2vcyclone »

Unless your car is sitting too low, I wouldnt replace the springs, but rather invest in some high quality adjustable shocks. Koni or Bilstein makes them for the 65 mustange which are the same for the rear, and will work on the front with upper shock mount conversions available from Delta Bay Mustang in CA. As far as tie rod end go, anything you do will help eliminate slop, of course the ultimate is to replace everything including the steering box, however, this will be about $1000 for all high end components.

sixtyfourcaliente

I have heard of the etire steering changed to the rack and pinion aftermarket option.... has anyone done this? Is it worth the 1500 bucks???

dgpmerc

Post by dgpmerc »

To get suspension parts, you can go with a 65 mustang rebuild kit. This will give you upper and lower a-arms, bushings for the struts, spring perches, etc for about $280. You can also get a handling package from the same supplier. I got front and rear sway bars plus 4 kyb gas-adjust shocks for $239. I used Laurel Mt Mustang. As for the motor, sounds like a good start for a very mild motor. You might want to upgrade the cam with the matching Edelbrock performer.

As far as the leaking power steering unit, I've got the same problem with mine. I plan on ditching it and just going to manual steering. Ford power steering is so over boosted and poorly engineered that it really is more trouble than its worth.

sixtyfourcaliente

What does this manual conversion involve? I have heard the same issues with the power steering units. I have alos heard this tightens up the steering as well.

THANKS!

dgpmerc

Post by dgpmerc »

Check with the mustang vendors. Its basically just a solid piece that replaces the PS ram. I believe the cost is just over $100. It won't tighten the steering at all, it just gets rid of the PS. I think if your steering is really sloppy, your probably looking at tie rod ends, maybe a center link and a steering box. It won't be cheap, but then again with the exception of parts that interchange with the early mustangs nothing on our cars is cheap. You'll get used to it...

sixtyfourcaliente

Sounds simple enough... so I assume I can ace the power steering pump as well. This would be a great weight savings and would also decrease drag.

I looked at Cal Mustang and found these kits for the front suspension.

http://store.cal-mustang.com/cm_able/sh ... 19&CM_SA=0

http://store.cal-mustang.com/cm_able/sh ... 19&CM_SA=0

I assume the latter of the two is what I am needing... Thanks for all the tips!

dgpmerc

Post by dgpmerc »

Be careful ordering the Mustang steering kit and trying to put it on your comet. If I'm not mistaken the tie-rod ends are different and won't work on your car. Hopefully someone who knows for sure will see this thread and give you the correct answer. Try calling the Mustang parts vendor and see if they know for sure.

sixtyfourcaliente

Thanks for the tip... I'll talk with them later this week to see what they say.

sixtyfourcaliente

How difficult is it to replace the cam and lifters? I've been looking for a good manual to do so, but have come up empty. I don't want to remove the motor. I understand that removing the radiator and all will allow enough room to pull the cam.

Thanks.

dgpmerc

Post by dgpmerc »

Well, think about it. To pull the cam, everything must come off the front of the motor to get the timing cover off. You have to pull out the lifters so that means removing the intake, either pulling the heads to get the pushrods out or removing each rocker arm. Pull the distributor. Once you've got those tasks done you should be able to slide the cam out. Be careful not to knick the cam bearings as you slide the old one out and the new one in. I might have forgotten something but even with just the steps I've included its not a super simple job.

sixtyfourcaliente

Well, the good news is I plan on replacing the water pump, intake, distributor, valve covers and timing gears anyway, so I'd be into it pretty deep. As for the pushrods go, yes this adds to the delema. In fact.... I don't weant to spend the money, but it would be a good time to go with stainless steel valve seats for the unleaded conversion. Yikes... what a can of worms. Thanks for the tips!