Headlight Retainer Clips

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Jims65cyclone

Headlight Retainer Clips

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Does anyone have a source for the metal clips that hold the headlight retainer rings in place on a 65?

Jim

poboyjo65

Re: Headlight Retainer Clips

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jim I think you're chasing a unicorn. that clip is spot welded on to the bucket & breaks easily. Compounding the problem is each bucket is different so you have to find the right bucket if you search for one or else the bulb wont be clocked right.

If it just happens to be the high left side ,& you feel like blowing a hunurd on it here is a nos;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Mercury-C ... wI6Yq3zbXw

otherwise you're gonna have to get creative,tig it on or fab something to tig ,glue, screw,rivet on or whatever. careful with the rings too,they are one year only also
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Re: Headlight Retainer Clips

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I was afraid of that. :evil: I searched all my supply links, and found nothing. Also, checked some manuals and found that all Comets prior to 65 used rings with three keyholes that slipped over screws for fastening. Same for Falcons and Mustangs. I guess Mercury used the clips for one year, then decided that was a dumb idea. :roll: I got tired of looking at my car with its top right eyeball hanging out, so I drilled a small hole in the headlight bucket and inserted a small sheetmetal screw through the rectangular hole in the ring that the clip is supposed to hook into and screwed it in place. Not exactly Concourse, but it's behind the bezel and doesn't show. A 15 minute headlight swap turned into a half-day ordeal, but I can see in the dark again. :roll: Thanks anyway, John.

Jim