4Lug Front Disc Brakes

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
joswald

4Lug Front Disc Brakes

Post by joswald »

Greetings everyone. I know this question has been asked before. I have a 1964 Comet six cylinder with drum brakes all around. I would like to convert to front disc brakes. I can not afford $1000 for a system. I want to keep the four lug wheels. Any input would be appreciated.

poboyjo65

Re: 4Lug Front Disc Brakes

Post by poboyjo65 »

all I have heard on here is scarebird. might google that.
Johno

power band

Post by power band »

I have a Scarebird 4 lug conversion on a '61 and well worth the upgrade. Uses readily available components on their adaptor plate on the spindle. To fit in Rotor, OEM hubs need to be cut down slightly or buy the Scarebird Hubs ready to go. Chevy Cavalier calipers, Nissan rotors and Caddy hoses. Disc/drum MC and disc/drum proportioning valve is recommended also.

Only 'caveat' is the early 13" and 14" wheels will not fit disc rotors. 4 Lug Ford from @ 1967 are all larger to fit discs. Maverick 4 lug and a few others as well will fit but not later Pinto or Fox 4lug cars.

https://scarebird.com/

Image . Image . Image

13 - 14" Falcon and- 14" Maverick wheels, early have 3 hubcap retainer nibs and later have 4

have fun

Image. Image

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

joswald wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:44 pm
Greetings everyone. I know this question has been asked before. I have a 1964 Comet six cylinder with drum brakes all around. I would like to convert to front disc brakes. I can not afford $1000 for a system. I want to keep the four lug wheels. Any input would be appreciated.
Youll end up paying probably 500+ muckin around with a bunch a oddball parts,,,,. If you save up a bit scrounge a bit youll spend maybe 7ish, vastly improved steering geometery, common available Mustang parts would be the result.
I did the Mustang KH brakes for about a G note Canadian,,, oh that includes 25-30% I have to pay exchange on the dollar.
I hope you reconsider,,,,
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about