One Bad Comet and One Bad Driver

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
pdc427

One Bad Comet and One Bad Driver

Post by pdc427 »

Cool Video. Probably old news to 64/65er's but thought I'd post it anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNsYKF8 ... Q&index=91

Joe Travers

Re: One Bad Comet and One Bad Driver

Post by Joe Travers »

Thanks for posting this. I saw it last year and have been looking for it ever since to show an older friend.
78 years old and still kicking butt! :D

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

pdc427

Post by pdc427 »

Joe,

You're welcome. A must see for anyone that thinks they might be over the hill. Some of the best power shifting that I've ever seen. It's an art that too few know anything about these days.

Would like to see more details on the car. Drives it to the track on street tires with mufflers.....changes to race tires, removes the mufflers....races it turning 9s and then puts it all back together and drives it home.

From a 68 (on Tuesday) youngster,

Phil

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Yes, seen him run in 2012 when I was out to Mission to meet up with Roy Pool(another "over thd hill wheelstander" now passed) and Brian G?!
Phil, you never mentioned he comes from the Island, on and off the ferries and through the Vancouver zoo! Probably almost 2 hrs from the ferry to the track.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

pdc427

Post by pdc427 »

Fred,
That makes it even more amazing. In the interview they talk about getting on the ferry but not knowing the area that well I didn't realize the whole significance of it and of his driving distance.
That is one nice car. It would look a better with a Cyclone grill hoop though. I have a spare that maybe I can sell him. LOL :lol:
Phil

pdc427

Post by pdc427 »

pdc427 wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:31 pm
Joe,

You're welcome. A must see for anyone that thinks they might be over the hill. Some of the best power shifting that I've ever seen. It's an art that too few know anything about these days.

Would like to see more details on the car. Drives it to the track on street tires with mufflers.....changes to race tires, removes the mufflers....races it turning 9s and then puts it all back together and drives it home.

From a 68 (on Tuesday) youngster,

Phil
Thinking out loud. Watching that guy shift makes me think that NHRA should have a door slammer class for manual transmissions only. H-pattern shifters only. No clutch-less transmissions, No inline shifters and definitely no Automatics, Lencos, Libertys or anything similar. The art of power shifting would be reborn and in my not so humble opinion would make things more interesting. Back in the day, knowing how to handle the clutch and knowing how to shift was part of the competition. Just my two cents worth.

Maybe the class already exists and I don't know about it. I haven't read a rule book in a long time.
Phil

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

pdc427 wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:03 pm
Thinking out loud. Watching that guy shift makes me think that NHRA should have a door slammer class for manual transmissions only. H-pattern shifters only. No clutch-less transmissions, No inline shifters and definitely no Automatics, Lencos, Libertys or anything similar. The art of power shifting would be reborn and in my not so humble opinion would make things more interesting. Back in the day, knowing how to handle the clutch and knowing how to shift was part of the competition. Just my two cents worth.

Maybe the class already exists and I don't know about it. I haven't read a rule book in a long time.
Yes, the Gasser sanctioning bodies are picking up the slack and stealing attention from the once immortalized NHRA.
People want to see racing as it once was; gear banging, wheel standing, squirrely cars built in small garages by rugged individuals.
Hollywood swinging doesn't cut it with the real crowd. 8)

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

pdc427

Post by pdc427 »

Joe Travers wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:47 pm
pdc427 wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:03 pm

Yes, the Gasser sanctioning bodies are picking up the slack and stealing attention from the once immortalized NHRA.
People want to see racing as it once was; gear banging, wheel standing, squirrely cars built in small garages by rugged individuals.
Hollywood swinging doesn't cut it with the real crowd. 8)

Joe
NHRA is missing the boat. Not the first time and surely not the last. Sometimes the customer is actually right.
Phil