Post by Racersonly »

Is there such a thing?
Jack Bartelt
1965 Comet Caliente Convertible

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Aftermarket adjustable steering column for auto trans

Post by A/FX »

Aftermarket tilt steering columns are available from numerous manufacturers for use in the hot rod market. Installing one in your Comet is not simple, your car has a solid shaft from the steering wheel to the steering box, there is no rag coupling. Also the aftermarket columns are based on a GM column so they have two levers ( signal and tilt) and are very long from the bell to the wheel mounting. (Extremely ugly)
If you are able to some fabrication it is possible to install a Ford tilt column in the Comet.
You have to change the steering box to a newer box from a Mustang ,Cougar, etc. use a column from a Montego or Torino that did not have a floor shift. (Late ‘60’s Lincoln will work also) you may have to shorten the column so it does not stock into the drivers area too much. The wiring will also need to be modified, and it is possible that you will need to change the pitman arm.
For my Cyclone I used a ‘68 Cougar steering box and a ‘68 Cougar tilt away steering column.
I had to shorten the column to fit the Comet, I also used a universal joint instead of a rag coupler so I had to change the spline on the end of the column. It took some machining, welding, and fabrication but the column works good and it is almost undetectable from stock. I also adapted the factory Cyclone steering wheel to fit the Cougar column.
Jim
Last edited by A/FX on Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Racersonly

Post by Racersonly »

Thanks again, Jim.
Jack Bartelt
1965 Comet Caliente Convertible

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

A/FX wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:11 pm
. use a column from a Montego or Torino that did not have a floor shift.
did you mean with a floor shift?

looks great!! :D
Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:00 pm
A/FX wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:11 pm
. use a column from a Montego or Torino that did not have a floor shift.
did you mean with a floor shift?

looks great!! :D
I believe he wanted a tilt column with a column mounted sift lever for an automatic, so the donor car should not have a floor mounted shifter.
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Oh dumb me. :roll: Thought you meant yours was.

Also thought you had a cute little red knob shifter, was wondering how you reached it. didnt see the big one at first. :roll: gonna go wash my glasses now.
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

No, dummy. That's a joystick! :lol:

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jim that column looks skinnier than most tilt wheels,I like that, is it the same size as the stock column? (talking about the collar & part next to the wheel)
Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:36 pm
Jim that column looks skinnier than most tilt wheels,I like that, is it the same size as the stock column? (talking about the collar & part next to the wheel)
Yes,
The head of the column is close to the same size as the original column although it is slightly larger in diameter and length.
This column was a tilt/tilt away column which I have heard is quite rare, (so I cut it up anyway!) I deactivated the tilt away feature, it also had a four way flasher knob and wiring which I deleted. I disassembled the column and took a few inches off it’s length, at the same time I changed the lower spline to a conventional Borgeson spline. I also had to fabricate a lower bushing to hold the steering shaft centered in the mast jacket. The steering wheel was modified where it meets the head of the column housing. The turn signal lever also actuates the tilt feature so the whole set up is almost undetectable. (Just the way I like it)
Jim

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:49 pm
Oh dumb me. :roll: Thought you meant yours was.

Also thought you had a cute little red knob shifter, was wondering how you reached it. didnt see the big one at first. :roll: gonna go wash my glasses now.
Johno,
The red knob is the reverse loc out for the Hurst shifter. Of all the things that are different about this car that is the one item that receives the most questions. I just tell people that the “R” on the red knob is for “Race”, you just pull the knob when you want to race!!!!
Some of them actually believe me!
Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

A/FX wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:40 pm
I just tell people that the “R” on the red knob is for “Race”, you just pull the knob when you want to race!!!!
Some of them actually believe me!
Digital Shelby GT crowd :P

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

Maybe a year ago I exchanged email with the folks at IDITIT... (sales@ididit.com). They said they would be willing to make me a custom steering column - if I sent them exact measurements they could make whatever I wanted.

My specific inquiry was for a column that had A/T shifter on the column... that would allow me to use my original '65 steering wheel... support tilt... and allow me to use the Borgeson power steering conversion.

They claimed they could make such a beast for me...

I have yet to follow-up with IDITIT because I am still trying to land a hack detailed by a fellow named Matt Veasey on a 1963 Falcon - shortening the stock A/T column for use with the Boregeson unit (see his youtube video series here: Part 1, Part 2). I am close to making it work on my '65 Comet but have run into some problems Mr. Veasey seems to have either not encountered or was less concerned with (whereas I am rather picky... ;-)). I haven't given up yet... if I fail then the next step will be to send specifications to IDIDIT... or perhaps give up on the Boregeson unit entirely and use stock P/S.
Thanks,
kevin
1965 Caliente Convertible
5H25A525287 (76DM6204L5416)

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

The issue I have with an Ididit column is that the area under the steering wheel is long and has two levers. (Based on a GM tilt column) They are used extensively in hot rods and always look out of place. The long housing places the steering wheel too close to the driver especially when using a deep spoke wheel like used in a Comet.
The video showed how the guy added a section on the steering shaft with splines to match the Borgeson splines, I am also not to keen on how the section was welded to the shaft. Steering and brakes are two of the most critical components on a car, welding on a steering shaft is critical and should be done correctly. When I change a steering shaft I sleeve the shaft with seamless tubing, I tig weld the circumference of each end then drill holes through the tubing and penetrating slightly into the shaft, these holes are then tig weld creating a “plug” weld. This method was actually used on some Ford manufactured tilt columns and is very strong.
I believe you could use a late ‘60’s Lincoln tilt steering column, these have a column shift, no key, no four way flasher, just a directional lever that doubles as a tilt lever and small collar under the steering wheel. This column could be easily modified to fit a Comet with a Borgeson box, and would look very similar to the Cougar column I have in my Cyclone except with a column shift lever.
This is just my opinion, and how I would do it if the car was mine.
Jim