64 dash guage replacement?

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
CosmicComets

64 dash guage replacement?

Post by CosmicComets »

Installing a new quick-wire wiring kit, figure now would be the time to replace the guages. Has anybody done this? Serched this sight and couldn't find the info I need. It looks like most aftermarket guages are either 2 1/16" or 2 5/8". The smaller ones are too small, but has anybody used the 2 5/8? Will be replacing fuel, voltage, oil, and temp guages, keeping the mechanical speedo. Thanks for any info! Cary
65 Cyclone 460W, C4, trans brake, CalTracs
64 Cyclone (son's) 408W 8 stack EFI 6speed, Winters qc rear
64 Cyclone (son's)347, 4speed, mini tubbed 9"
1965 Caliente, 289, 4 speed, buckets, 51k miles
1969 428 CJ coupe (son's)
1965 Cyclone, tube chassis, 514bbf, glide w/brake

WARNING: all of my vehicles are armed with anti-thrift devices

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: 64 dash guage replacement?

Post by A/FX »

CosmicComets wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:29 am
Installing a new quick-wire wiring kit, figure now would be the time to replace the guages. Has anybody done this? Serched this sight and couldn't find the info I need. It looks like most aftermarket guages are either 2 1/16" or 2 5/8". The smaller ones are too small, but has anybody used the 2 5/8? Will be replacing fuel, voltage, oil, and temp guages, keeping the mechanical speedo. Thanks for any info! Cary
Hello Cary,
I installed Auto Meter gauges in my Cyclone, mechanical oil and temp. They fit without much modification and look almost stock. All the lighting is now LED, and the wiring is on a quick disconnect.
Jim

‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

grgrasscutter

Post by grgrasscutter »

Cary,
When you say quick wire are you referring to https://kwikwire.com/ ? If so, did you go with the 14 or 20 circuit harness? I am looking to upgrade and am thinking need 20 if I go with electric choke and fan. Jim those gauges look great.

Griff
64 Caliente
289 4 speed

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

Looks great Jim! Did you use the 2 1/16" guages and put the whole guage inside the pods? Looks like a double ring around the guages.

Griff, yes, it's a Kwikwire kit, I believe for this are just using a 12 circuit, going to be an old school, low tech street machine. We did go with a 20 kit on another 64, but lots of bells and whistles...updated sound, 8 stack efi, high pressure fuel system, electric fan, extra lighting, cutouts, etc

Take care! Cary

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

CosmicComets wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:11 pm
Looks great Jim! Did you use the 2 1/16" guages and put the whole guage inside the pods? Looks like a double ring around the guages.

Griff, yes, it's a Kwikwire kit, I believe for this are just using a 12 circuit, going to be an old school, low tech street machine. We did go with a 20 kit on another 64, but lots of bells and whistles...updated sound, 8 stack efi, high pressure fuel system, electric fan, extra lighting, cutouts, etc

Take care! Cary
Cary,
The gauges are Auto Meter 2” they are installed from the back so what you are seeing is the gauge bezel and the factory Comet gauge trim. I cut the large factory lens so it only covers the speedometer. The tach uses the factory Cyclone cup with an aluminum trim ring that I turned up on my lathe. Upgrading the wiring is a smart move, when I removed the harness from my car I found quite a few wires with broken insulation (age and heat). I now have a 22 circuit panel and run everything with a major draw through relays.
Jim

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

CosmicComets wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:11 pm

Take care! Cary
Cary,
The gauges are Auto Meter 2” they are installed from the back so what you are seeing is the gauge bezel and the factory Comet gauge trim. I cut the large factory lens so it only covers the speedometer. The tach uses the factory Cyclone cup with an aluminum trim ring that I turned up on my lathe. Upgrading the wiring is a smart move, when I removed the harness from my car I found quite a few wires with broken insulation (age and heat). I now have a 22 circuit panel and run everything with a major draw through relays.
Jim

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

Thanks again, Jim, I think that's the route we will go. We are good as far as the tach go, we can choose from the original 64 cyclone tach or several vintage SW nad Sun tachs. Happy Hollidays! Cary