Correct gas pedal

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
rmertz3282

Correct gas pedal

Post by rmertz3282 »

I am in the process of reassembling a long term project. Along the way I have misplaced my original gas pedal so i purchased a repop with a part # of B7A-9735. When I try to install this into the original mounting holes it appears that the angle of the pedal will not align with the pedal assembly. I did some research online and it looks like the correct pedal is C0DD-9735-A. Does anyone have any experience with this? Are these part numbers interchangeable?
Randy
1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible

comethead

Re: Correct gas pedal

Post by comethead »

I believe this is the correct pedal
https://www.falconparts.com/ford-falcon ... 70p352.htm

I tried another repop as well. It was a heavy rubber coated steel pedal and it didn’t fit right either.
The originals were light plastic.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

rmertz3282

Post by rmertz3282 »

Thanks Joe. I saw that one, it's also listed in the Autokrafters catalog. Based on the description in the catalog the C0DD-9735-A is the plastic pedal while the B7A-9735 rubber coated metal. They look similar. Quite confusing.
Randy

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

rmertz3282 wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:03 pm
...it looks like the correct pedal is C0DD-9735-A.
Simple answer: Yes, that is it (and the Falcon Parts link is the correct pedal... nevermind any of the following inanity).

Longer answer: The January 1967 Lincoln-Mercury Master Parts Catalog has two part numbers with the following relevant descriptions:
  • C0DD-9735-A: "Molded rubber"
  • C0DD-9735-B: "Elevated"
The Falcon MPC agrees - it has both part numbers with (substantially) the same descriptions. However that MPC indicates the -A "Molded rubber design" was shared with the Fairlane, whereas the -B "Elevated" pedal was exclusive to the Falcon. Meanwhile that C0 part number implies this pedal was used in cars as early as 1960... though the retainer Rod (see below) seems to have only appeared starting in 1963 (which I find a bit disorienting).

I don't know what "Elevated" is supposed to mean... however the original pedal on my 1965 car is not remotely what I would call molded rubber but rather hard plastic. And indeed Falcon Parts goes out of their way to describe their pedal as "PLASTIC." Thus I somewhat wonder whether technically the correct part number is -B (with -A being Hard Rubber and -B being Plastic). It is also possible they are the exact same part (same material be it rubber or plastic) except that -A was a kit that included the retainer Rod (again see below) whereas -B was the Pedal alone. Alternatively the Mercury MPC illustrations specify two accelerator linkage designs (Early 1965 and Late 1965) - it is possible these two pedals where one of the differences between Early (Rubber) and Late (Plastic)... though that theory is a bit suspect because typically the MPC part descriptions are careful to call out the date of the running change when there is a early vs late iteration (frequently a day in November 1965).

Related: I found the tricky part was not the pedal but what the MPC names "Rod (Accelerator Pedal to Shaft)." This is a small wire (IMHO "Rod" is kind of a generous adjective for what amounts to an 18 gauge wire..) that attaches to the upper back of the pedal (snapping into an otherwise curiously molded receiver) and loops over the accelerator shaft. This Rod keeps the pedal snugly attached to the shaft. Technically the pedal will work w/out this "Rod" but the pedal can feel kinda sloppy w/out the Rod.

The Rod is part C3AZ-9727-C. Yea, so apparently we are led to believe that cars as early as 1960 had a pedal with a molded receiver on the back... but that it wasn't until 1963 that Ford had a retainer to snap into that receiver? Something's goofy here...

I have not found reproductions of the Rod however I have seen them NOS on eBay occasionally - indeed a seller presently has a few of them on offer here for ~$15 each after shipping.
Thanks,
kevin
1965 Caliente Convertible
5H25A525287 (76DM6204L5416)

rmertz3282

Post by rmertz3282 »

Kevin,

Thank you for the information. I already purchased that retaining clip and your are right in saying it's more like wire than a rod. I also ended up buying a NOS C00D-9735-A pedal so I hope it has a different angle than the B7A-9735 I currently have.

By the way, your MPC information is already paying dividends. I received one of my catalogs on Friday last week and it's very helpful.
Randy

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

rmertz3282 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:54 pm
By the way, your MPC information is already paying dividends.
Glad to hear it! Funny - this is a classic example of why I recommend the Falcon MPC... and I am now slapping my forehead for having prematurely posted above...

Previously I failed to look at what the Falcon MPC says about 9727... and after a quick phone call to the folks at Falcon Parts I now believe the goofy wire I previously disparaged as a lackluster rod is, well, perhaps not a rod at all. In fact that ebay listing may have it correct as a "Accelerator Shaft Rod Retainer" - i.e. perhaps there is a both a rod and a retainer for that rod?

The Mercury MPC illustration shows only a single retainer/rod (for both early and late 1965):

Whereas the Falcon MPC illustration shows three components in total:

I speculate that the Falcon MPC is simultaneously illustrating two (perhaps three) alternative installations. The first is what Jeff @ Falcon Parts called a "standard pin" by which I think he means a standard Clevis Pin that I suspect is itself retained by a standard Cotter Pin (so the Clevis won't slide out of the holes on the pedal). The second is a less "standard" pin (see below). The retaining wire is either used with the later non-standard pin or, perhaps, is a stand alone "rod" of its own?

The Falcon MPC calls 9727 a "Rod - Accelerator to Pedal" and says the following:
  • B7A-9727-B: Use "with S/T" (Standard Transmission) - "Not used with C0DZ-9735-A, C1MZ-9735-A or C4SZ-9735-A pedal.
  • C3AZ-9727-C: "Retainer (accelerator shaft rod) - use with CoDZ-9735-A or C1MZ-9735-A moulded plastic design pedal."
Google digs up nothing on C1MZ-9735-A. However that part number decodes to 1961 Mercury and a search for "1961 Mercury Gas Pedal" yields pointers to B7A-9735! I am now remembering that ~18 months ago I was chasing this same problem (your original question). I was trying to order a new gas pedal for my car. Like you I found suppliers that said B7A-9735 was correct however I found, like you, it was a molded rubber design that does not work. At the time I did not find reproductions of C0DZ-9735-A (perhaps reproduction has become available only recently?). I resolved to use my original pedal and then started chasing the retaining wire (which was lost from my car). Ironically, when I received the wire and did a test fitting I thought "this seems like a really stupid design" and left it at that (I have not yet done my final installation)... only to now, just today, realize that the reason it seems so stupid might be because mine is missing a rod?

B7A-9727-B is a non-standard rod (available NOS on ebay here) that looks like this:

Visually that rod does not seem like it would work with the whacky retainer: I would have expected the rod to have hollow ends (where the retaining wire slides into?).

Yea so I am kind of stumped on this one. Is the Whacky Wire a retainer for a Rod or is it a Rod in and of itself? If it is a Rod then it seems there are THREE possible rod choices?!? I *think* what I will use the standard Clevis Pin (and forgo the wire altogether). That just seems like it would give a superior feel on the pedal? I may play around with the Clevis vs. Whacky Wire to see how different they feel (if any different at all).

For the folks out there that long ago assembled (stock) gas pedals what kind of rod/retainers did you use? I would love to see a picture if you are willing to climb under your dashes...
Thanks,
kevin

comethead

Post by comethead »

Good investigative work Kevin!
I’m an aircraft mechanic so I did what comes naturally to us- I used safety wire to attach the pedal to the rod :D

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

My pedal is a free-floater :P
What is this pedal attachment thingy of which you speak??? :lol:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

rmertz3282

Post by rmertz3282 »

Well I received my NOS CODD-9735-A pedal and I can confirm it is definitely different than the B7A-9735 pedal. The NOS pedal is in fact plastic and has about 5 degrees more angle towards the right.

The NOS pedal is on the right.

Now I just need to figure out how this retainer clip works.

Randy

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

rmertz3282 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:56 pm

Did you NOS pedal include a retainer clip? (If so does it look like this... and if not would you kindly post a pic?)

Thanks,
kevin

rmertz3282

Post by rmertz3282 »

kevinshi wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:14 pm
rmertz3282 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:56 pm

Did you NOS pedal include a retainer clip? (If so does it look like this... and if not would you kindly post a pic?)

It did not but I had already purchased the same clip you show pictured. I’ll send a picture when I’m back at the house as I figured out how it attaches. Pretty simple once you figure it out.
Randy

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

rmertz3282 wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:16 pm
I’ll send a picture when I’m back at the house as I figured out how it attaches. Pretty simple once you figure it out.
Thanks Mertz. I may order one for my pedal when I make my next larger order.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

rmertz3282

Post by rmertz3282 »

Here you go.

You start by kind of fish hooking the short side into the left hole then rotate it downward until long side engages into the right hole.

Randy