Fuel Tank Install

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
rmertz3282

Fuel Tank Install

Post by rmertz3282 »

When I removed my tank I noticed what appeared to be some type of bedding compound. Almost like plumbers putty between the tank flange and the trunk floor. Does anyone know what this might be? I assume it needs something in between these two surfaces. The "bedding compound" was not adhered and was removed quite easily. I was thinking about using 3M strip caulk going back in. Thoughts?
Randy
1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Fuel Tank Install

Post by A/FX »

rmertz3282 wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:18 pm
When I removed my tank I noticed what appeared to be some type of bedding compound. Almost like plumbers putty between the tank flange and the trunk floor. Does anyone know what this might be? I assume it needs something in between these two surfaces. The "bedding compound" was not adhered and was removed quite easily. I was thinking about using 3M strip caulk going back in. Thoughts?
The 3m strip caulk will work just fine. I believe the only reason any type of sealer was used was to prevent moisture from entering the trunk area.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

I used the 3m strips on our 66 tank install, worked just fine.

Damn Jim, that’s one bad a*s looking comet you have 👍
Motor Safe,
Lee

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Damn Jim, that’s one bad a*s looking comet you have 👍
[/quote]

Thank You! I always appreciate positive compliments on my vehicles.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

A/FX wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:30 pm
rmertz3282 wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:18 pm
The 3m strip caulk will work just fine. I believe the only reason any type of sealer was used was to prevent moisture from entering the trunk area.
Jim
Jim, for me it was fumes. I pulled the tank at some point and cleaned up the surfaces. Upon replacing the tank I never used any "bedding". It took several members input to help me realize the problem. Dont remember what I used for bedding.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about