65 Cyclone updates

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Johnnydarkgt350

65 Cyclone updates

Post by Johnnydarkgt350 »

After purchasing my engine smoked :shock: took the heads off, voila. Dished pistons that the rings had been bent installing. A performance cam and intake with low low compression pistons as well. A disaster for performance. While getting corrections and upgrades on the original 289 Acode. I checked my chassis, original sheet metal California car but not looking like the day it was built at the Los Angeles plant DSO 52 . I restored a Shelby GT350H to concours so at 71 years old it was time to do this Cyclone right. Horseshoe Rustorations in Oregon is a hi performance ford shop and is within a month of finishing. I’d love to share my ups and downs and why I took a close to stock look . Pictures I will try to load ( says my files are too big ? Any ideas ? Thanks Jim

SASSY

Re: 65 Cyclone updates

Post by SASSY »

Welcome Jim!!
We would certainly like to see your car!!!
You will need to use a photo host site and link your pics to your posts.
There is a totorial in the lounge. Yes bit of a pain but it helps keep this forum advertising and cost free. Thanks for your understanding
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Welcome, Jim!

Bummer about the faux A code engine. Hertz Shelby sounds cool but glad you rescued the Cyclone.
Sold my last Mustang back when I bought my Cyclone back in late '80s. Wish I would have kept the Comet now but that's an afterthought. It was my last old FoMoCo until purchased my current car two years ago. The old Hemmings phone book days weren't kind to me.

Post when you can.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Here is a link to the picture posting thread.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2448

Can't wait to see it, I am also a vintage Shelby owner. I have owned 1967 GT500 #2100 since 1987, 428 dual quad 4 speed car.
Attachments
gt500.jpg
gt500.jpg (96.98 KiB) Viewed 992 times
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

The link that Boss posted refers to the hosting site Photobucket. Most have stopped using it since they decided to start extorting a high price for its use. A site that is used by many of us now is Postimage. It's free, and Poboyjo65 wrote up some good instructions on how to use it at this link: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16011
It can automatically resize your pics to work on the forum. Give it a shot.

Jim

You are right, but it gives an outline on how to do it. Just need a different host.

Johnnydarkgt350

Post by Johnnydarkgt350 »

Thanks, sure I’d s great community here. After I took the engine to a Spokane engine shop . Fortunately Kyle the manager is a friend. It was quiet a buzz in the shop with an original September 9th 1965 , 6 bolt 289 there to get everything done on it . It should put out about what a B/FX 289 did like Doug Nash at the 65 Pomona winternationals when done. Back at the car we found it’s original red oxide, white body break off points and the semi gloss black in the aprons , Engine compartment core support inside aprons as well. If any of you that can post pictures could help me shortcut this without me going through this great learning experience on how to post pictures by sending me your texting number I can text to all these pictures and maybe you could help me put them on your posting to show everybody?? Jim Wahl 208 6594552