Hello everyone!

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
betafactor

Hello everyone!

Post by betafactor »

New to the forum, just wanted to introduce myself and (probably more importantly to you all) my car.

When I was 15 my dad asked me if I wanted a used car, or to find something old that we could fix up and bring back to life as a project; needless to say I chose the later. One night out to dinner in Imperial Beach, CA we stumbled across this 65 Mercury Comet 202, inline six with "three on the tree" sitting in the parking lot with a FOR SALE sign...$800. After putting in a quick call, we came to find out it was being sold by the grand-daughter of the original owner who had just inherited it after her grandmother's passing and was looking to get some quick cash. There wasn't a spot of rust on it and in decent enough shape for us to drive it home about an hour and a half away.

Over the years we picked away at it and it was my daily driver all throughout my college years. As time went by, things slowly needed repair, and moves kept me from allowing my dad to help get things up to par, unfortunately I let the car sit, only taking it out here and there to keep it running. well I'm 40 now and in a place where it's due for some TLC. I'm getting it back into shape and thought I may need to turn to your wisdom at times to ask advice. So here I am, hopefully you'll be seeing me around a bit. I'm sure I'll have questions for you guys and hopefully not make myself look too stupid in the meantime. I'll post some more pictures soon, I can dig out some old shots of our build back in the day.

Thanks in advance!
Nick

65 Comet 202 Sedan 5.0 EFI AOD

poboyjo65

Re: Hello everyone!

Post by poboyjo65 »

Wow is that the original paint? :shock: Looks like you & dad did a lot ,,,v8 & 5 lug ! looks great Welcome on! :D
Johno

betafactor

Post by betafactor »

Thanks! oh no, not original paint, it was originally a cream-ish color with bench seat, interior was brown-ish. not too much original at this point besides the dash. hah.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Nice 202!
Bought one (200, three-speed) from an original owner back around '90. Good econobox.
The EFI roller conversion is sharp. 8)

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

betafactor

Post by betafactor »

Thanks Joe! appreciate it, the build went real smoothly and I'll have it back up to par in no time!

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Great looking Comet! Love the color, looks similar to my color.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

betafactor

Post by betafactor »

Thank you sir! it's actually Indigo Blue from late 90s Chevys....don't kill me. haha. the color just really struck me. appreciate it.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

I have no idea what color mine is. I bought it painted that way in 1994. It matches up pretty close in an early 80's color Ford used on Crown Victorias. That is what I used to paint the hood.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Very nice :D Looks to have had some suspension changes also?
Tom
tomb's 65

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! :D The only stupid question is the one not asked, but from the looks of your car, you've already figured out a lot of the answers. 8)

Jim

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Sigh, not another vertical headlighter to muck up the place...! Kidding!! :mrgreen: Welcome on!

Sweet ride and the paint looks fantastic, interior also. I've often wondered if the '94-'95 'Stang upper intake would clear - now I know!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Welcome!VERY CLEAN!! It appears you will be a good source for those of us that have left carbs on the shelf.
To start, late model Mustang wheels? What did you do to make them fit so nice? Usually not a fan of negative offset but hou have pulled it off very nice.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

betafactor

Post by betafactor »

tomb22 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:07 pm
Very nice :D Looks to have had some suspension changes also?
Tom
yes, you are correct, but nothing crazy. we bypassed the rear spring leaf extension bracket and cut a coil on the front end which has the 77 Granada power disc brake conversion.

betafactor

Post by betafactor »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:21 pm
Welcome aboard! :D The only stupid question is the one not asked, but from the looks of your car, you've already figured out a lot of the answers. 8)

Jim
with the help of my dad, yes. but I'm on my own now and will likely be needing some guidance. appreciate your help, thanks!

betafactor

Post by betafactor »

Rocket989 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:14 pm
Sigh, not another vertical headlighter to muck up the place...! Kidding!! :mrgreen: Welcome on!

Sweet ride and the paint looks fantastic, interior also. I've often wondered if the '94-'95 'Stang upper intake would clear - now I know!
"Vertical Headlighter". HAH! hey it was born that way alright, don't hold it against her. that's funny. the paint photographs well, but is definitely showing it's age these days. to quote the movie "Clueless", it's a total Monet....pretty from afar, but far from pretty. hah. The engine and interior are both out of a 92 Thunderbird. just had to do a small amount of notching In the diagonal brace arms. the front and rear interior was a clean swap, couldn't believe the back seat fit perfectly with no adjustment required.