Car wouldn’t start today

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Comatt

Car wouldn’t start today

Post by Comatt »

Tried starting up the car after being stored for a couple months and it just cranked and cranked. Put a little gas in the carb and got a couple sputters out of it then nothing again. Doesn’t seem to be getting fuel. Would the fuel pump have gone bad just from sitting or could I have another problem? Gummed up carb? Any help is appreciated guys. Thanks

Matt

poboyjo65

Re: Car wouldn’t start today

Post by poboyjo65 »

Might try prime it again. sometimes you just gotta get the gas drawn back up to the fuel pump if the line has emptied out. with a manual fuel pump it takes a bit to get it back to the pump sometimes. I have to prime an old truck with a 302 2-3 times if it sits too long. if you just got a sputter try just a little more gas each time. I use a rattle paint can top bout 2/3rds full & usually get a couple shots out of it . Sometimes it takes 3-4 shots before it will run on its own.
Johno

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 2:23 pm
Might try prime it again. sometimes you just gotta get the gas drawn back up to the fuel pump if the line has emptied out. with a manual fuel pump it takes a bit to get it back to the pump sometimes. I have to prime an old truck with a 302 2-3 times if it sits too long. if you just got a sputter try just a little more gas each time. I use a rattle paint can top bout 2/3rds full & usually get a couple shots out of it . Sometimes it takes 3-4 shots before it will run on its own.
I think Johno nailed it here, this happens to my cyclone after sitting for and extended period. It seems to suck all the fuel out of the lines back into the tank. Once the line is primed it should be fine.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

It only gets worse when you let it sit in the winter and try to fire it up :(
Ethanol works great w/ EEC, FI & electric fuel pumps. Terrible for carbs & mechanical pumps.
You have to wash down the piston rings to get it fired up. Solution= drive that thing! :D

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi