Wiper problems

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Comatt

Wiper problems

Post by Comatt »

Hey guys, I was wondering if there’s an easy way to get the wiper switch out on the 65s without taking the dash apart? Last year I was having issues with my wipers just starting up on there own and not shutting off this year they don’t work at all 🙁 I’m thinking it’s most likely the switch or maybe someone has another idea of how I can diagnose the issue? Thanks guys

Matt

poboyjo65

Re: Wiper problems

Post by poboyjo65 »

knob has a set screw,allen head,then a special tool to get the switch out. you could make a tool out of a piece of pipe. I have got them unscrewed with needle nose pliers.
sounds like last year you had a problem with the park wire,or circuit or could be that part of the switch. I would have a look at the motor to see if wire connector might have come off. same for the switch, you might feel for it. Is it a single speed or intermittent switch?
Johno

Comatt

Post by Comatt »

Johno, I believe it doesn’t have an intermittent setting just hi and low. Thanks for the info

Matt

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

AFAIK you either got the single speed wiper>single knob with on & off or intermittent which has off in the center & intermittent to the left & on to the right. (But the intermittent part was a lemon & most dont work by now) knob has another little knob on it like this;

so if you have 3 positions,& have the little knob like in the pic it is most likely a non working intermittent set up that probably goes the same speed in the left position as the right with off in the center.

unless someone has changed something.

regardless which you have first thing I would check is the wire connector to the wiper motor, which is a 3 wire. arrow on the right is the ground, check that & the other end of it,,,it should be screwed to the brake pedal support may have other grounds on it too & could have been taken off or got loose.;
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Sounds like the Off position of the switch may be corroded w/ oxidation and not breaking circuit intermittently.
I'd make the ground and voltage test first as John describes to rule out the motor to make sure.

If you have to pull the switch, try disassembling it carefully and clean the contacts w/ DeOxit. It cuts oxidation and lubricates contacts in switches and potentiometers. Great stuff, use it for amplifier maintenance & repair. Aftermarket switches aren't made as well as the originals.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Comatt

Post by Comatt »

Man in your pictures it looks like you have much better access to the motors then I do. I have be upside down and perform gymnast moves to get my arms up in there. My seat also doesn’t seem to move backward which doesn’t help. Does the cowl pop off somehow so I can get access from outside the car? Thanks guys

Matt

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Cowl does not come off, his car does not have the heater and defrost vent tubes which really opens things up under there.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 4:52 pm
Cowl does not come off
oh yea?
bout 387 spot welds for the top ,,,,& more than that for the bottom but it does come off! :roll: But yea like Boss says that pic is during the floor work I did & most of the stuff was out of the way

This guy shows what each wire does,this is just like your motor;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4kBH2x54c4

& here's one for a later 2 speed motor, (like I am converting to)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFEqzdLHXp0

I have to take the seats out to do much under there.
Johno

Comatt

Post by Comatt »

Looking at my switch today I actually do have the intermittent switch with the button in the center. I never even knew that it turned! Can those switches be repaired or does anyone know where I can find a good one? Thanks

Matt

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Comatt wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 6:54 pm
Can those switches be repaired or does anyone know where I can find a good one? Thanks
Matt
in short, no. The whole system is junk .you're better off just getting the wiring fixed.

If you want delayed wipers there is a popular upgrade using mid 70's ford truck motor ,switch & delay module .Which as a bonus has a 2 speed motor(which has a faster high speed) with intermittent
here's a link
https://online.fliphtml5.com/wtdj/qtqr/#p=2
I'm in the middle of doing this upgrade to my 65 comet but with lots of other work too,but I have the wiring figured out to keep the comet's foot pump swiping action. I like being able to just toe tap a swipe of the window if needed.
Johno

Comatt

Post by Comatt »

I really don’t mind about the intermittent settings because I really don’t drive the car in the rain often I just wanted to get them working if possible. Thanks for the info guys

Matt