How do I drain the lube from the rear end?

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Racersonly

How do I drain the lube from the rear end?

Post by Racersonly »

I’d like to replace the rear end lube in my 65. It doesn’t have a drain plug. I’m not real savy on these things. I have no idea what kind of rear end it is, but, it is an open rear end. I’ve tried to suck it out through the filler plug with a big syringe but the thick lube wasn’t co operating. Someone suggested that I might need to drop the drive shaft, pull the axles and remove the cover. Any ideas?
Jack Bartelt
1965 Comet Caliente Convertible

Lou's Comet

Re: How do I drain the lube from the rear end?

Post by Lou's Comet »

Depends on the type rear end you have, 7.5" or a 8"/9". Do you have 4 bolt wheels or 5 bolt wheels?

Does the the rear have a cover with bolts on the back? Or does it have a smooth back with a center section that bolts in from the front.
If it has a cover on the back(7.5) you can just remove that to drain. If it has a center section that bolts in from the front (8" or 9") then you will need to remove driveshaft, pull axles, and then remove center section.

Lou

Racersonly

Post by Racersonly »

Thanks Lou. It looks like I’ll need to drop the driveshaft and pull the axles.
Jack Bartelt
1965 Comet Caliente Convertible

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

If you pull the axles etc would be a great time to get a bung welded into the housing.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

About 3 or4 yrs ago,,me and son drilled a small hole in bottom of houseing on my 66 f100 and let the grease run out in a pan until the next night,,then run a tap and threaded it for a fine thread plug,,,used carb cleaner to clean real good,,used plug for an allen wrench,,,put a wee bit of red lock tight on threads ,,installed and added rear end grease,,,,,good to go !! I am the 2nd owner of this trk,,the rear end had no leaks of anykind,,so I did not want to break a seal no where....that grease that came out must have been factory installed,,never seen grease as black and have such a smell.....have done samething to others thru out the years,,,on race cars we'll weld a bung for a larger hole,,we have changed gears at the track,,,so we need to drain grease much quicker then on that truck....pop
pop/glenda