'64 Caliente @ Mecum

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Joe Travers

'64 Caliente @ Mecum

Post by Joe Travers »

Here's a pretty wild "64 Caliente going up on the block Saturday before the Stroppe A/FX Cyclone.
Stroker SBF w/ forced induction. Not my bag but interesting nonetheless.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/TJ0622-50802 ... -caliente/

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: '64 Caliente @ Mecum

Post by A/FX »

Joe Travers wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:35 pm
Here's a pretty wild "64 Caliente going up on the block Saturday before the Stroppe A/FX Cyclone.
Stroker SBF w/ forced induction. Not my bag but interesting nonetheless.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/TJ0622-50802 ... -caliente/

Joe
I agree, it’s just to much of everything. I guess my preference is more on the subtle side. It looks as if it has run through an auction in the past, one of the photos shows it in an area with other cars waiting to cross the block. Mecum is known for running unsold vehicles though another one of their many venues. (“The bid goes on”)
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Love the side shot! Looks like its going 100mph!
Colour is great with the red arrow.
I would change the wheels but the worst is the intercooler!
I too think I've seen it before because that intercooler is a real "eye catcher".
I realize the space between the grill and rad is limited but there is room for about a 3inch deep intercooler with a few bracket mods.
Trunk hinges really caught my eye too.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Pleasantly surprised @ the number of Comets hitting the auctions lately.
Again, hoping the increased exposure will spur production for much needed parts for our cars.

Speaking of, street freak today- https://www.mecum.com/lots/TJ0622-50781 ... et-gasser/
No sale @ $24K. Love the driveline & wheels but wide-white piecrusts on a '65? Nope.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Joe Travers wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:37 pm
Pleasantly surprised @ the number of Comets hitting the auctions lately.
Again, hoping the increased exposure will spur production for much needed parts for our cars.

Speaking of, street freak today- https://www.mecum.com/lots/TJ0622-50781 ... et-gasser/
No sale @ $24K. Love the driveline & wheels but wide-white piecrusts on a '65? Nope.

Joe
It fits the street freak description. White walls?? Not for me. I also noticed that the front tires looked like implement tires.
Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

A/FX wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:47 pm
I also noticed that the front tires looked like implement tires.
Yes, Massey-Ferguson.
Ehhhh........not my bag. I can dig a Whipple blower.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Joe Travers wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:45 pm
A/FX wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:47 pm
I also noticed that the front tires looked like implement tires.
Yes, Massey-Ferguson.
Ehhhh........not my bag. I can dig a Whipple blower.

Joe
Massy Ferguson... it must “plow” through the corners with those tires!

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

A/FX wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:23 pm
Hah!!! :lol:

All jokes aside, these cars can be very dangerous. I've seen more than one flip.....

Checking in tomorrow, the Stroppe car should be up by Noon.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

SASSY wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:11 pm
Love the side shot! Looks like its going 100mph!
Colour is great with the red arrow.
I would change the wheels but the worst is the intercooler!
I too think I've seen it before because that intercooler is a real "eye catcher".
I realize the space between the grill and rad is limited but there is room for about a 3inch deep intercooler with a few bracket mods.
Trunk hinges really caught my eye too.
Got to agree, not only does it look fast, I bet it is!
I Like the car. If the inner cooler was tucked out of sight and it had chrome bumpers I think it would look a lot better tho. But cool car!
Noticed the trunk hinges too.

Thinking it will do well.

Here is a link with more info/pictures of the car from 2016, didn't have the aluminum small block then. Or hole in hood. Gives more info on the build tho.

https://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=169 ... try=us#ask

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

A/FX wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:46 am

I agree, it’s just to much of everything. I guess my preference is more on the subtle side. It looks as if it has run through an auction in the past, one of the photos shows it in an area with other cars waiting to cross the block. Mecum is known for running unsold vehicles though another one of their many venues. (“The bid goes on”)
Jim
The picture with the Comet sitting with other cars waiting to cross the block is actually a walk around video, from this auction. They take those once the car is at the auction. The other vehicles in the video are also being auctioned this week and today at Mecum.

Here is a link to the green and white ford truck sitting beside the Comet. It also runs through the auction today.
https://www.mecum.com/lots/TJ0622-50803 ... 00-pickup/

If you look you can see the Comet sitting beside it.

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Joe Travers wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:50 pm
A/FX wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:23 pm
Hah!!! :lol:

All jokes aside, these cars can be very dangerous. I've seen more than one flip.....

Checking in tomorrow, the Stroppe car should be up by Noon.

Joe
I agree!! Straight axle cars done right can get scary. One done that is,,, let's say lacking build knowledge,
is as you say "very dangerous" I think the blue one that went on BAT was done right. This one ehhh,, maybe not.

Lou

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:17 am
A/FX wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:46 am

Jim
The picture with the Comet sitting with other cars waiting to cross the block is actually a walk around video, from this auction. They take those once the car is at the auction. The other vehicles in the video are also being auctioned this week and today at Mecum.

Here is a link to the green and white ford truck sitting beside the Comet. It also runs through the auction today.
https://www.mecum.com/lots/TJ0622-50803 ... 00-pickup/

If you look you can see the Comet sitting beside it.

Lou
So they update the website photos during an event? Hard to believe they would take the time or effort to do that. Also, has anyone else ever noticed that many of the vehicles offered at their auctions have the same building in the background? I know it is not the Mecum HQ, because I am familiar with that building. The building that seems to be in quite a few backgrounds is a brick office type building. I have noticed this for a few years for dozens of cars.
Jim

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

A/FX wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:34 am

So they update the website photos during an event? Hard to believe they would take the time or effort to do that. Also, has anyone else ever noticed that many of the vehicles offered at their auctions have the same building in the background? I know it is not the Mecum HQ, because I am familiar with that building. The building that seems to be in quite a few backgrounds is a brick office type building. I have noticed this for a few years for dozens of cars.
Jim
Yea they update their website during events. The people doing the videos are all over the place when the auction is running. Talked to one guy doing a video of a car in line for that day, he said they will get the video up on the site before the car runs. It is for the online bidders. They put a lot of effort into what they do.

But the video of the Comet is from this/current auction.

Never noticed the brick building. Notice a lot of vehicles that have the same background listed over the years, but they have been all from the same person/collection, so they use the same background. Some people list 20+ vehicles for some of the auctions.

But will look.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:22 am
I agree!! Straight axle cars done right can get scary. One done that is,,, let's say lacking build knowledge,
is as you say "very dangerous" I think the blue one that went on BAT was done right. This one ehhh,, maybe not.
Don Nicholson was quoted as saying he built Eliminator I out of necessity. When he altered his '65 car and installed a straight axle, he could barely handle it down a straight stretch of pavement. Granted, these cars aren't nitro-injected Cammers but neither are the owners Don Nicholson.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

The Caliente did not make reserve, bid to 37k.
The FX Comet sold for 285k
Jim