Sedan Rear Window Trim

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
sanderjs

Re: Sedan Rear Window Trim

Post by sanderjs »

Oddly enough they are checked but I don't get emails, nothing in junk mail either.
Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:51 am
Click on your profile, click on board preferences, click on edit notification options. Then click on the email box next to any option you would like to get an email for.
1965 404

sanderjs

Post by sanderjs »

ok so I cut away the rubber seal on the inside to see if the clip came inside, I couldn't feel anything at first so I figured I would check. Nothing visible on the inside of the car.
The rear window is the same brand as all the other glass in the car for what that is worth.

I also dug around the clip and it looks like there are round posts attached to the window frame, likely for some clips like. I am thinking it is more like view CC and the first set of clips you posted, says it comes with 15 on the ebay ad! There appear to be eight of the posts attached along for the bottom trim alone so 15 clips would make sense. There are two styles and I will just order both, at $12 a set, can't hurt.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114836977739?f ... 1422084734

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324232130703?f ... %3A2047675
1965 404

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Did you look from inside the trunk for nuts holding the clips on ? the manual says to open the trunk lid & remove lower moulding retainer nuts & washers.

(that view CC is for mustang body type 65 ,your 65 404 is body type 54 or 62 depending on the number of doors)
Johno

sanderjs

Post by sanderjs »

Thank you again for the fast response! I appreciate the help!

I had climbed inside the trunk but looked in the wrong place, looking again there are indeed sheet metal screws going down into the window area that do hold clips. I did not have to remove any panels, perhaps long gone? I cut away the outer seal to reveal the screw head.

Screw, this is about 3/8 long sheet metal screw I accidentally snapped it directly inline with the screw

Screw head with rubber cut away, and clip remnants below

Going by these links from Dennis Carpenter alone the 1965 Comet sedan is neither the 54 or 62 body type, they sell a separate seal for it alone? I don't know though.

Type 54 or 62
https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/cars/w ... indow-seal

1965 Comet Sedan
https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/cars/w ... 965-commet
1965 404

sanderjs

Post by sanderjs »

Despite what I just said the door tag does say 54B

poboyjo65 wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:21 pm
Did you look from inside the trunk for nuts holding the clips on ? the manual says to open the trunk lid & remove lower moulding retainer nuts & washers.

(that view CC is for mustang body type 65 ,your 65 404 is body type 54 or 62 depending on the number of doors)
1965 404

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Hey glad you found them! :D
54B would still be a 54 type body ,the B would be for bench seat. it'd be a 4dr bench seat 404 according to mercstuff ;
https://www.mercurystuff.com/1965-comet ... ation.html

& since you have the trim I'd say that first dennis carpenter link showing the 3 lower trim pieces (identical to the shopmanual pics) would be the seal you need .

& since parts of your clips are broke off & missing ,& you really dont know what it should look like I would not rule out the other clip I posted earlier;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/142629409695?f ... SwwRlbeJ0w
It seems it might hang out over the rubber ,which may be broke off & gone from yours.
Johno

sanderjs

Post by sanderjs »

Yes this is all very complex, why did they have to use so many different parts lol. It seems like some of the 1965 comet parts are just custom one offs, like the radio for instance!

I actually only have two pieces of trip for the bottom.

So I can measure the base/90degree lip in the bottom of of the clip after I cut more rubber away and I measured right around 0.6 with lining up the calipers. Makes me think it is these clips more because there is no wrap around inside under the seal if that makes sense?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114836977739

Here are some pictures of the trim. I already ordered the 1965 only rear window seal that doesn't say if it is for the 54 body style so it may be too late, worst case I will ask Dennis to swap it with the other one.

1965 404

sanderjs

Post by sanderjs »

I was able to pry the remains of another clip out from the side trim that is currently installed! Maybe the other picture from the inside with the cutaway trim is too dark but there is no part of a clip that warps around on the inside? I actually have that manual and didn't even think to look in there. Last time I was in the manual looking for a wiring diagram I was disappointed !

Here is what is left of the clip. On the last set of pictures with just the screw head visible it is also hard to tell but the clip bottom is not rusted and seems to end after a 1/8" or so bend.

1965 404

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Well after seeing your trim is 2 piece & doesn't look like the 3 pc trim in the manual you probably ordered the right seal. probably be trial & error on the clips, unless you find someone who has been there & done that recent enough to know where to get them. :roll:
Johno

sanderjs

Post by sanderjs »

I will post back once I get the seal for future reference, it is odd that it doesn't match the manual?

Thank you again for the help poboy and everyone
1965 404

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

sanderjs wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:23 pm
I will post back once I get the seal for future reference, it is odd that it doesn't match the manual?
I'm getting flashbacks after your last pictures. Looks like the short center molding popped off @ some time in the past, allowing the outer moldings to pop off as well. Do you have it? Outer moldings tuck under the center molding just like the hardtops. Helps keep water out and cinch everything down.

Cross-reference the manual and look for the center molding clip while you have the seal out. Finding that short piece of center molding may be a bear. If you had a master parts list, you could cross-reference it to other models using the number in the manual.

Wish I could help but I cut ties on that project shortly after that field trip.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

sanderjs

Post by sanderjs »

Joe,

I mine doesn't seem to have the center piece, the two bottom pieces lock together and the are the right length to span the gap. From what I can see there are two "center" clips about 3 inches apart which would make sense for having two pieces of trim meet in the center. If you look closely the bottom seem matches the top seem.

Trim just sitting on the rubber but the length is right!

Joe Travers wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:50 pm
Looks like the short center molding popped off @ some time in the past, allowing the outer moldings to pop off as well. Do you have it?
Joe
1965 404

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

As mentioned, my memories are a bit fuzzy on this one. Trying to recall.
Double-check for a rusted out clip or screw hole in the center where that gap is in the molding lip.
Like John mentioned, hopefully someone w/ more recent experience will chime in.

Good luck! :)

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

sanderjs wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:23 pm
doesn't surprise me anymore .Odd is typical on these cars. :roll: After looking at some pics online I think the rear window area changed from 64 to 65 on the sedans ,or could have been in the middle of the year. not sure if the window itself is different or just the body around it. but I think what happened was the 65 manual people didnt get the memo about the roof change,so it shows the 64 type rear window,which is different with a wider c pillar & bottom of the widow area different.
the 65 manual itself try's to cover too many models ,comet ,falcon,fairlane & mustang. if they were for one car only & still as thick as it is it would probably cover more of the cars parts.

early falcons even had two types of rear windows,think one was called a formal roof? never paid much attention to it to know about it.
Johno

sanderjs

Post by sanderjs »

Indeed!

[/quote]
doesn't surprise me anymore .Odd is typical on these cars.
[/quote]
1965 404