1964 Caliente got wrecked today

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
luc3ch

1964 Caliente got wrecked today

Post by luc3ch »

My son and I were enjoying a nice drive here in Royal Oak, Michigan. We were crossing an intersection just a block from my house, we had the green light. A lady ran her red light and we could not stop in time. Rammed pretty hard.
We were not hurt besides a couple of bruises. She admitted fault, a witness said she was at fault, police officer wrote her up at fault.
It will take a few days to get my insurance claim together and see what they want to do.

I will have a few questions for you guys as to whether she can be repaired and if it's worth it.

If not, I will be looking to y'all for help in sourcing my next 64 Caliente. I don't think I can bear to change brands or model year. I have too much into this one. I will upload pics some other time. Too busy crying in my beer right now.
1964 Comet Caliente, 302, upgraded to Toploader, front disk brakes ready for 2021 season after the snow melts!

poboyjo65

Re: 1964 Caliente got wrecked today

Post by poboyjo65 »

Bummer! glad you're ok though. if it is totaled. JL Duncan has a pretty nice 64 cali for sale down in Georgia. keep us posted!
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

That is a bummer! Glad you're OK. This is a pic of J.L.'s 64 that I took at PF 3 weeks ago. Don't recall what he's asking, but you can probably contact him through the forum.

Here's his profile page to PM him.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1817

Jim

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

I was in Royal Oak area three weeks ago Sunday and almost got into an accident while driving my 66 Mustang. Guy switched lanes and I had to hit the brakes and switch lanes to miss him. Luckily traffic was not super heavy so I could get out of the way. It was on Woodward near 12 mile. Post some pics, I have some parts for a 64 here if it is fixable.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

luc3ch

Post by luc3ch »

Thanks guys. I will post photos. I will definitely be interested in parts if you have them.

Yeah, traffic here around Woodward and the mile roads is crazy these days. I live about a mile and a half from the intersection you're talking about. Drove through it today as a matter of fact.

Big question: what should I check as far as body dimensions, measurements between subframe, or whatever, to decide if she's a fixer or part her out?

I put a lot of good parts in her over the last few years.
1964 Comet Caliente, 302, upgraded to Toploader, front disk brakes ready for 2021 season after the snow melts!

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Truely is a bummer, glad everyone is ok. Post pics, these guys here will help out as much as possible if it’s fixable, which I hope it is…

Red lights in our area seems like it’s only suggestion, gotta keep your head on a swivel and most of the time wait a second or two before moving out.
Motor Safe,
Lee

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Hate to hear the news, at least you guys weren't hurt. Found a '64 Caliente last year that had a head-on and it looked like a widow maker.
I love the butterscotch color of the car Jim posted. Very unique.

Good luck w/ your endeavor, whatever it may be! It'll all work out in time. :wink:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

luc3ch

Post by luc3ch »

Thanks y'all, short update:
@Sassy I have the Comet shop manual so I book marked that page 17-006. Really good detail.

I cleaned out the garage today. Insurance company is getting it towed back to my place and I will start measuring out the frame points.
One of the officers of the local chapter of Ford & Mercury Restorers Club of America runs a body shop and will check out my photos as soon as I send him some.
I am optimistic, I think I can put her back on the road and maybe for the next few months I will live with some banged out panels and start sourcing the replacement fenders and hood on my own time.
What really stinks, besides the whole situation, is that I planned to keep the car in patina instead of a full repaint. But the replacement panels are going to need fresh paint so I guess I'll be doing a full paint job. Too bad.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Where are you located? I have a ‘64 hood that I would donate to your rebuild if you are interested. I am near Milwaukee Wisconsin.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

A/FX wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:02 pm
Where are you located? I have a ‘64 hood that I would donate to your rebuild if you are interested. I am near Milwaukee Wisconsin.
Jim
He's near Detroit, lives right by the famous Woodward cruise area.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

luc3ch

Post by luc3ch »

Jim, that's awesome. Thanks. I might take you up on that but there's got to be something in it for you.
Don't know if you're a bourbon drinker. Motor City Gas distillery is right up the road from my place. I could send you something from them.
I'll let you know what's up after I asses the damages.
Chris

luc3ch

Post by luc3ch »

Making progress slowly. Waiting for the first insurance assessment report to see what they offer me.
Once I have an idea what I'm working with, ill starting talking about sourcing parts.
So far it looks like no frame damage or anything behind the front axle / shock tower zone.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

luc3ch wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:08 pm
Making progress slowly. Waiting for the first insurance assessment report to see what they offer me.
Once I have an idea what I'm working with, ill starting talking about sourcing parts.
So far it looks like no frame damage or anything behind the front axle / shock tower zone.
That sounds like good news.
Larry

luc3ch

Post by luc3ch »

Update 6 months later:
I have a fair insurance settlement.
The car is salvageable and tear down is complete.
I got a donor chassis from down south with mostly good panels and parts.

What’s missing: the hood on the donor car turned out to have hidden rust and bondo. So I still need a good hood without filler or rust.

Anyone have a good 64-65 hood within a 6 hour drive of Detroit?
I can also arrange to pay shipping, but that is of course $$ and risky for damage.

A/FX, I think you said you had a hood. Any chance you’re willing to ship it and what you want for it?

Take care, hope everybody is healthy and ready for 2023 cruise season.