Minion progress

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
minion

Minion progress

Post by minion »

Greetings all.......build is going slow to say the least. Ten years ago I'd of been out here at 2am. In the middle of wiring now, battery to trunk with start and main solenoids. Bent up some tin and made channels along pass sill rail to run all the cables thru for protection. She looks like a gasser with no powertrain!
Attachments
Merc.jpg
Merc.jpg (76.89 KiB) Viewed 1617 times
Merc2.jpg
Merc2.jpg (107.85 KiB) Viewed 1617 times
Minion elec3.jpg
Minion elec3.jpg (94.65 KiB) Viewed 1617 times
Minion elec2.jpg
Minion elec2.jpg (92.69 KiB) Viewed 1617 times
Minion elec.jpg
Minion elec.jpg (117.03 KiB) Viewed 1617 times

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: Minion progress

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Looks great, keep it up!
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

What he ^ said. Looks like someone’s got welding skills. Wish I could weld like that, instead of booger welding 😀
Motor Safe,
Lee

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Caveman49 wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:17 am
What he ^ said. Looks like someone’s got welding skills. Wish I could weld like that, instead of booger welding 😀
What they said!! Lol
Progress is progress, if you dont stop you'll finish.
Dig the wiring board in trunk,,, you sell and install??
Would need to be in the off season at my location,,!
Off season!!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

minion

Post by minion »

The welds are beautiful......I didn't do it, friend of the family who grew up with and now works for my son did it. I can stick things together but I'd like my gal to ride in it :) Still hitting the wiring. Got a surprise today.....my efi fuel tank finally showed, only ordered it March 17th.
Here is a pic of my instrument cluster.....refitted it with SW gauges.
Attachments
dash.jpg
dash.jpg (107.98 KiB) Viewed 1547 times

minion

Post by minion »

back of dash wired..........I'm using the American Auto Wire M22 kit. I'm impressed so far,
Attachments
dash2.jpg
dash2.jpg (112.18 KiB) Viewed 1535 times

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Looking good Min! :D what is the extra solenoid for? I see the S & M on them.
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

The wiring idea is pretty cool 8) I would like to eventually re-wire my car, as well.
The dinky fuse box on the headlamp switch doesn't cut it, esp. when the bezels aren't available :roll:
A few of my circuits have been re-routed already but I would like to tidy it up a bit.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

minion

Post by minion »

Thanks.....starter and main fuse box feed. Will be 1 20a constant hot circuit running to the front tho to keep the fuel inj memory alive and supply power to the ign to kick main on with key.

From the trunk forward I used quality 7wire trailer cable for switching the solenoids and carrying the previously mentioned constant, also gives me 3 unused 14ga circuit under dash to trunk should I ever need em. No doubt overkill but 1/0 from trunk to starter and 2 4ga's for main feed and alt.

Kicking around putting a main cutoff switch under the hood. That way if I'm under the hood with it running I can kill it if I have to. Also make a theft deterrent.

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Damn, not only someone with welding skills, there’s wiring skills too 👍. Re-wiring these older cars is probably something we all should consider, I know I’ve a mess under the dash in our 66, so far no issues, and sorta hoping it stays that way.

Nice work on your car!
Motor Safe,
Lee

minion

Post by minion »

:D I'll take credit for the wiring but those necklace welds were made by a friend Tyne!!
This panel is going on the firewall behind the dash, by removing the factory heater and using a Vintage Air I gained lots of space for ign and fuse box.
Bent up a plate to mount ign at an angle so I can change settings without standing on my head. Easy access is the name of my game, I'm not near as bendy as I usta be :|
Attachments
dash interior.jpg
dash interior.jpg (119.52 KiB) Viewed 1464 times

minion

Post by minion »

well making some progress all be it slow.....the under dash panel is working out so far, still need to cover inside firewall with dynamat or equivalent before final install. Moved the ign and headlight switch up to radio opening (which was hacked out to din size) and made alum plugs to fill original holes, also moving wiper switch to an easily reached location.
Also putting in an American Powertrain HydraMax clutch release bearing set up....I think I've got the geometry figured out for a nice straight push on the master.

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
dash fillers.jpg
dash fillers.jpg (71.79 KiB) Viewed 1243 times
dash key switch.jpg
dash key switch.jpg (89.49 KiB) Viewed 1243 times
underdash.jpg
underdash.jpg (94.41 KiB) Viewed 1243 times

minion

Post by minion »

Getting somewhere anyhow.......gonna work my way forward
Attachments
trunk2.jpg
trunk2.jpg (81.49 KiB) Viewed 982 times
trunk3.jpg
trunk3.jpg (85.64 KiB) Viewed 982 times
trunk.jpg
trunk.jpg (88.67 KiB) Viewed 982 times

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Curious, what is the plan in the trunk? A panel above the tank to protect the wiring and hoses to the pump or just not use it much? I like what you are doing it is going to be a very cool Comet.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

minion

Post by minion »

I'm thinking in the lines of a masonite floor with standoffs under to clear it all with a carpet cover. Mostly lawn chairs is the only thing ever in there. My plan, if it all works like I hope, is to do one of the drag weeks or the power tour, then there will be lots in there.