“Glory Days” Drag Racing Event

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
A/FX
Comet Central Member

“Glory Days” Drag Racing Event

Post by A/FX »

Today I attended the Glory Days event at the Byron Drag Strip in Byron Illinois. The event is for Pre 1966 vehicles and seems to cater to the gasser crowd. I saw two Comets, a ‘64 Caliente (it had the trim removed, it was not a Cyclone) and a ‘65 Caliente. Both were drag cars, not street cars. Both of them were “nose bleed” suspended, the rear ends were at least 8” higher than my Comet. If I remember correctly they both ran in the 10’s.
Jim

‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

minion

Re: “Glory Days” Drag Racing Event

Post by minion »

Excellent!..... I wish I would have know about that. I'm just a little over an hour from Byron.
Will be there 9/21 for drag week. My goal is to do drag week with Minion.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

I love the track Gassers, not into street freak wannabes. They're keeping the Comets in the limelight & that's a good thing.
I see your point on the suspensions. Could use 7 or 8 inch slicks in the stock fender wells & run Super Stock class.
Top running car in SEGA S/S last few years is a '65 Caliente w/ 333 small-block.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

The Glory Days event was morphed from the defunct Meltdown Drags held annually at Byron. I attended the Meltdown a couple of times and it was huge, good swap meet and a great cross section of vintage drag cars. I guess maybe that is what I expected when I went to Byron this year. I have found that events change and you cannot duplicate an experience, so when you are at an event and enjoying it cherish the time because it may never be the same next time.
Tomorrow is the Pebble Beach Concours, an event that every car enthusiast should experience at least once. I obviously won’t be there this time but hopefully in the near future I will be able to attend again.
Jim

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

When my Cyclone was a drag car it was kind of in between, not low but not a mile high. Here is a picture from 2006 at Norwalk dragway in Ohio. As you can see in my signature picture it is lower now as a street car.

1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

A/FX wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:39 pm

Tomorrow is the Pebble Beach Concours, an event that every car enthusiast should experience at least once. I obviously won’t be there this time but hopefully in the near future I will be able to attend again.
Jim
I will take you Woodward and then you can show me the best parts of pebble beach. :P
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:50 pm
A/FX wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:39 pm

Jim
I will take you Woodward and then you can show me the best parts of pebble beach. :P
Woodward is on my list. I’m not sure why I have not experienced it yet, I have been to the autorama a couple of times and shown one of my cars at the Concours of America. Michigan is one state I visited at least once a year for a long time, I once had reserved seats at the Michigan 400, then we would head the Baldwin/White Cloud area to ride dirt bikes.
The Monterey car week is overwhelming, between the shows, seminars, auctions, vintage races, and the Concours a person needs a week to recuperate.
Jim

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

I must came across this video from the event. It has quite a few FoMoCo cars and of course a lot of brand X but I found it enjoyable. The red/white “55 Ford was running a cammer, not sure what the “Tigger” Comet had for power.
Some of the et’s were down there, this is a 1/4 track.
Jim
https://youtu.be/LFvln3f6vD4

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

My favorite car is the '64 Comet. Looks pretty period correct to me. The '65, not so much.
Bummer they didn't catch it & the time for the Cammer Fairlane :(
A match race w/ that stinky pea green "57 Poncho would have been cool.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi