Tilt steering

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Lou's Comet

Tilt steering

Post by Lou's Comet »

Has anyone used a Ididit tilt steering column in their Comet? If so what length did you use?
Thanks for all and any advice!

Lou

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Tilt steering

Post by A/FX »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:47 pm
Has anyone used a Ididit tilt steering column in their Comet? If so what length did you use?
Thanks for all and any advice!

Lou
The Ididit column is based on a GM column, the distance between the steering wheel mounting and the end of the “Bell” is fairly long. This makes the steering wheel protrude into the passenger area more than a stock column. It also looks out of place in my opinion.
I installed a ‘67 Cougar tilt column in my Comet, it looks almost exactly like the factory ‘64 column, it is compact and uses the directional lever as the tilt lever and has no provision for a key.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Ididit is near my house. I have been there many times. They make a Comet specific column with ford steering wheel splines. My Dad just ordered one for his 65, I will let you know how it fits soon. They gave out deals at there on site car show a few weeks ago.
https://www.ididit.com/i-25048533-1965- ... =category:
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

I called them and ordered the Comet specific column. He assured me that my stock comet steering wheel will work. It is on the shelf with the first coat of primer waiting for color.
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

DesertRat wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:35 pm
I called them and ordered the Comet specific column. He assured me that my stock comet steering wheel will work. It is on the shelf with the first coat of primer waiting for color.
Cool, you may get yours before my Dad gets his.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thanks guys!

I ended up putting my old box and column back in the car and taking measurements. Came up with 29.5" I then called Ididit and asked the length on the Comet one and they told me it was 29.25".

I ended up ordering a 28" universal column ($240 less). Figured I could use the money saved for the steering wheel and adaptor. And being a little shorter gives me the opportunity to mount it a little closer to dash if need be.

Thanks for the help!!

Lou

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:54 am
Thanks guys!

I ended up putting my old box and column back in the car and taking measurements. Came up with 29.5" I then called Ididit and asked the length on the Comet one and they told me it was 29.25".

I ended up ordering a 28" universal column ($240 less). Figured I could use the money saved for the steering wheel and adaptor. And being a little shorter gives me the opportunity to mount it a little closer to dash if need be.

Thanks for the help!!

Lou
Hope that works out, but the wheel adapter is going to use up most of that extra space. Also, does the universal columns have the correct turnsignal/horn wiring?
Larry

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:03 am
Hope that works out, but the wheel adapter is going to use up most of that extra space. Also, does the universal columns have the correct turnsignal/horn wiring?
Yea that was what I was thinking too. But when you do the math the wheel adapter with aftermarket wheel will actually give me more extra space.

My original Comet steering wheel has a 5 5/8" dish. The new steering wheel has a 1 3/4" dish plus the adapter is 2 1/2", so the new setup total is 4 1/4" so I should gain another 1 3/8". Which surprised me a little. And the gain will be at the steering wheel end.

As far as the wiring I am re-wiring the whole car so not worried about the ends.

Lou

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:15 am

Yea that was what I was thinking too. But when you do the math the wheel adapter with aftermarket wheel will actually give me more extra space.

My original Comet steering wheel has a 5 5/8" dish. The new steering wheel has a 1 3/4" dish plus the adapter is 2 1/2", so the new setup total is 4 1/4" so I should gain another 1 3/8". Which surprised me a little. And the gain will be at the steering wheel end.

As far as the wiring I am re-wiring the whole car so not worried about the ends.

Lou
Sounds like you got it, just checking in case you did not consider those factors.
Larry

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

AAyyyy how bout a sneak peak at the new steering wheel!! :D
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:30 pm

Sounds like you got it, just checking in case you did not consider those factors.
Checking is good! Thanks Boss
poboyjo65 wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:04 pm
AAyyyy how bout a sneak peak at the new steering wheel!! :D
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/GTX-38-4245

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Good lookin wheel!
Johno

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

A very nice wheel :D
Tom
tomb's 65

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thanks guys, steering wheel was delivered yesterday. Got to love Summit! Really a nice piece, real happy with it!

Lou