64 Caliente on BAT

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

64 Caliente on BAT

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: 64 Caliente on BAT

Post by A/FX »

Not a bad example, it will be interesting to see where the bids go. It’s not to often that a Comet makes an appearance on BAT. I’m watching it.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Very nice example that will sell for a good price, I'm betting.
Everybody wants automatic transmission :?

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Reads like a well thought out cruiser.
I like the 331, the auto should be nice to the 8" and the gears are fun yet still decent for a hr drive to a shoe shine on the highway, I would like that car. Love the colour combo too.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

SASSY wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:18 am
Reads like a well thought out cruiser.
I like the 331, the auto should be nice to the 8" and the gears are fun yet still decent for a hr drive to a shoe shine on the highway, I would like that car. Love the colour combo too.
I agree, Fred. It's not cammed-up too high, looking @ the dyno sheet. Not hooked up as well to break stuff.
Good torque for lots of fun.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

I just checked on the status of the auction, four days to go and the current bid is $11,000.
I also noticed two items that seemed to jump out at me by looking at the pictures, the first item is the lack of satin black paint surrounding the taillamp/ fuel door area, the second was the incorrect top on the center console. The fuel door has satin black on the top and lower edge so this car must have had the satin black surround. The console lid might be from a Falcon maybe. I’m not being critical, just pointing out a couple of items.
Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

A/FX wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:40 pm
the second was the incorrect top on the center console.,,,,,,The console lid might be from a Falcon maybe. I’m not being critical, just pointing out a couple of items.
I was waiting for your comment on this. At first I did a double-take but the data plate did confirm a bucket car, which in itself is rather rare. The seats did look like Cyclone buckets but the console top didn't.

Some of the latest auctions have been pretty unpredictable. A few guys going at it then that guy that really wants it steps in and shuts everyone down. The Bronco market is super crazy, in that respect. Saw a '79 beach truck go for $20K over concourse price last week.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

The Falcon console top is reproduced and the Comet one is not, although Fred said that Canadian Comets had a Falcon top on the console. This one has a Los Angles DSO so it is not Canadian. So I am guessing the console top was shot and they bought a new Falcon top. It is a factory bucket seat car.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:57 am
The Falcon console top is reproduced and the Comet one is not, although Fred said that Canadian Comets had a Falcon top on the console.
I would like to own a Mercury pickup. I think they're pretty hip.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Joe Travers wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:25 am

I would like to own a Mercury pickup. I think they're pretty hip.

Joe
I have had my eye out for one, I think they made them till the late 60's in Canada. I was in Canada last weekend but when I checked local marketplace nothing available.... Thought maybe I would look at one since I was there anyway.
Larry

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Joe Travers wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:11 am
A/FX wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:40 pm
the second was the incorrect top on the center console.,,,,,,The console lid might be from a Falcon maybe. I’m not being critical, just pointing out a couple of items.
I was waiting for your comment on this. At first I did a double-take but the data plate did confirm a bucket car, which in itself is rather rare. The seats did look like Cyclone buckets but the console top didn't.

Some of the latest auctions have been pretty unpredictable. A few guys going at it then that guy that really wants it steps in and shuts everyone down. The Bronco market is super crazy, in that respect. Saw a '79 beach truck go for $20K over concourse price last week.

Joe
Most of the interior looks to be Caliente, either factory or reproduction. Someone has installed a Mustang brake pedal trim which looks nice but the Locar accelerator pedal is not something I would have. The steering wheel is OK but I have seen a wood wheel disintegrate into splinters during an accident. The radio looks factory but the big (ugly) speakers must be hooked up to a hidden radio. (Not sure if a stock radio would push those speakers)
The white/red paint scheme is timeless, the ‘64 Comet carries it well.
It’s at $11,500 a moment ago.
Jim

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

Are the interior door handles positioned like that in 64's? Seems awkward at the 11 o'clock position and up into the window area a little bit.
Will be interesting to see how this does. Seller has done a good job of presentation on BaT.

Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

JimsHot66 wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:57 pm
Are the interior door handles positioned like that in 64's? Seems awkward at the 11 o'clock position and up into the window area a little bit.
They were positioned in the 3 o'clock position from the factory.
I imagine they were repositioned when the doors were restored.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Joe Travers wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:04 pm
JimsHot66 wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:57 pm
They were positioned in the 3 o'clock position from the factory.
I imagine they were repositioned when the doors were restored.

Joe
Good catch. I missed the strange position of the interior door handles. Mine are almost level, facing forward.
Jim

darryl27529

Post by darryl27529 »

It makes a good template for putting mine back together. I downloaded some pics to help once I get through painting.
ImageImage