Carpet

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Lou's Comet

Carpet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Really haven't put much thought into carpet until recently. But I am going to need to order carpet soon.

My question is molded, or, cut and sewn? Opinions? Pros? Cons?

I am going with buckets, will have 4 speed but shifter, but will not be in stock location. So I was going to order for 2 Dr hardtop, bucket seats and auto. This way I can cut for shifter where need be. Also I will not have the shifter hump.

Also in the rear floor my frame connectors come up thru the floor so I will need to cut/modify that also.

As always any thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated !

Thanks in advance

Lou

Groover

Re: Carpet

Post by Groover »

Lou,

We went cut and sewn because I felt like some of our body work was "custom" and i was concerned that a molded carpet wouldn't conform. Since I've not done a molded I can't speak to whether it would have worked or not, but I know the cut and sewn did work and I am not at all disappointed. I also felt like the cut and sewn looked "older school" as well which was a benefit.

I'm not sure either will work with the rear frame connectors coming up through the floor, unless you cut a channel and get an extra piece to cover that. If you try to run the carpet up and over the connector, it seems you'll not meet the side?

So in short, I am of no help, but I liked our cut and sewn :?
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Hey Lou, these people seem to be pretty good, they will send samples as well.
https://www.stockinteriors.com/
Motor Safe,
Lee

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Caveman49 wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:27 pm
Hey Lou, these people seem to be pretty good, they will send samples as well.
https://www.stockinteriors.com/
A formed carpet will work fine for the front but in your application it will not fit the rear too good. Probably the best way for you to go is to purchase a formed set and some extra roll carpet so you can slot the formed and fit the roll carpet to the subframe connectors.
Most carpet suppliers will only sell limited amounts of roll carpet, When I bought the carpet for my Cyclone every supplier limited the purchase to 5yds. I was just able to to do the interior of the car using the 5yds, but I do not have a back seat.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Decided to go with the cut and sewn. Read Grover's post and realized that not only do I have the frame connectors coming thru the floor in rear, that I also fabricated a lot of the floor front and back. And tho I tried to keep the original shape, it could be off enough to create problems with doing formed carpet.

Thanks Guy's!!

power band

Post by power band »

Molded or Cut & Sewn may be easiest for original cars. I've found on modified or roll bar setups, using readily available "Boat Carpet" is easily cut and formed and is inexpensive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/354317364439?h ... R-CBgpCHYQ

have fun

Image. Image .

hav efun

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

power band wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:40 am
Molded or Cut & Sewn may be easiest for original cars. I've found on modified or roll bar setups, using readily available "Boat Carpet" is easily cut and formed and is inexpensive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/354317364439?h ... R-CBgpCHYQ

have fun

Image. Image .

hav efun
That is what I often use in modded cars. Put it in my off road beast bronco. It was easy to work with.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:50 am
Also in the rear floor my frame connectors come up thru the floor so I will need to cut/modify that also.
Lou
Lou my frame connectors are copied from yours, I had thought about doing like Fred mentioned way back ,& using something (cant remember what he used),but I thought maybe thick styrofoam to fill in up to top of SFC's so the carpet would lay flat,but I never got around to it. just threw the old carpet back in over them. with my seats mounted back 3'' farther than stock I never see the rear floor unless I fold the seat forward. so far Groover is the only one to ride back there for a short ride at PF.lol I may not ever change it.
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:12 pm

............I had thought about doing like Fred mentioned way back ,& using something (cant remember what he used),but I thought maybe thick styrofoam to fill in up to top of SFC's so the carpet would lay flat........
I was thinking of making it flat,,,, I have some 4" thick styrofoam that I could use. But afraid it would squeak? Did Fred mention what he used in your thread? Was also thinking of slicing the carpet and cover the connectors with vinyl or leather. Don't think it will be that noticeable.

I also agree with Groover and think the cut and sewn looks old school.

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Might not squeak if you shot it with rubberized undercoating,or something ,a thick coating ,if it didnt have a reaction to the spray. but it would be light weight. lots of ideas have popped up since back then this was brought up years ago. foam rubber & spray foam was a couple more , but it would need a coating also to keep from acting like a sponge & hold moisture if it got wet, like a lot of the stuff that came to mind.
Fred said that on your thread, somewhere on the first few pages,,,I saw it as I was looking back thru it a few days ago.
Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Your idea of wrapping the connectors with vinyl or leather is a good idea, you could also paint them to match the carpet. I good upholstery guy could hem the edges of the carpet with vinyl or leather where it meets the connectors. When we did my Cyclone we trimmed out the shifter tunnel so that it is removable without disturbing the carpet, makes servicing the shifter much easier. We also trimmed the edges of the carpet and heel pads on the floor mats with leftover leather from covering the dash and steering wheel.
Styrofoam is not a good option, no matter what you do it will squeak, and most glues will attack it. I am also not a fan of using wood in an automotive interior, I prefer using steel.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

If you cut the rear carpet won't that make it 3 pcs? with little skinny pcs on the outsides?
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

A/FX wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:57 pm
Your idea of wrapping the connectors with vinyl or leather is a good idea, you could also paint them to match the carpet. I good upholstery guy could hem the edges of the carpet with vinyl or leather where it meets the connectors. When we did my Cyclone we trimmed out the shifter tunnel so that it is removable without disturbing the carpet, makes servicing the shifter much easier. We also trimmed the edges of the carpet and heel pads on the floor mats with leftover leather from covering the dash and steering wheel.
Styrofoam is not a good option, no matter what you do it will squeak, and most glues will attack it. I am also not a fan of using wood in an automotive interior, I prefer using steel.
Jim
Yea, wrapping the connectors has been the plan till now. Using wood is not a option. Steel may be a option, steel would actually be the right way. Was thinking of making a false floor out of steel and glueing it in with 8115. Maybe like 16 gauge with a bead or two rolled in it.

First I may try wrapping styrofoam with a sound deadener like Dynamat. I have a few different kinds and have some Dynaliner on the way.
poboyjo65 wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:18 am
If you cut the rear carpet won't that make it 3 pcs? with little skinny pcs on the outsides?
Yea but I could glue the skinny pcs down or use two sided tape. But I would really like it to stay one piece.

Lou

Groover

Post by Groover »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Lou's Comet wrote:
Lou
so far Groover is the only one to ride back there for a short ride at PF.lol I may not ever change it.
I do feel honored, but I was recalling that the carpet seemed a little out of sorts (now that you mention it ;)
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Groover wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:07 am
poboyjo65 wrote:
Lou's Comet wrote:
Lou
so far Groover is the only one to ride back there for a short ride at PF.lol I may not ever change it.
I do feel honored, but I was recalling that the carpet seemed a little out of sorts (now that you mention it ;)
I'm surprised with your knees folded back to your armpits that your feet ever got to the carpet! :) I think there's about 3 inches between front & back seats.
Johno