Man, that's a rare find 8)

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

comethead

Re: New ‘64 Cyclone owner

Post by comethead »

Cool car!
Inevitably there’s always someone that chimes in (usually with the wrong info) about the Hipo option in the Early Comets and the unproven Canadian Hipo Falcon thing :lol:
I remember years ago there was a very passionate fellow here that just about broke the forum proving/disproving some of the Comet Hipo theories. any of you old timers remember that?

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

comethead wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:34 am
I remember years ago there was a very passionate fellow here that just about broke the forum proving/disproving some of the Comet Hipo theories. any of you old timers remember that?
There was a poster claiming one a couple years ago I remember. It had a wacky DSO code and could have been a very rare exception but I don't remember a build sheet or window sticker to prove authenticity.

The Hi-Po 'Fairlane V8' debuted in middle of '63, IIRC. I reckon someone with enough stroke could get one built or purchase one of the '64 durability or rally cars after testing? IDK.

Joe II

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

There are a couple of videos on “boob tube” that owners or interviewers claim their ‘64 Comet (Cyclone) are HiPo cars. The problem is they read some article that claims the cars were real and all of a sudden it is gospel. Makes me wonder how many of them were even around in ‘64 and how many of them knew what was really available. I admit that I was just under the driving age back then but I did grow up around my father’s family Lincoln/Mercury dealership so I remember quite a bit of what was happening. I remember at least two HiPo ‘65 Cyclones leaving the dealership, one was immediately crashed and totaled. (It burned also) Too bad the factory documentation wasn’t better back in the ‘60’s, it would stop quite a bit of controversy today.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

comethead

Post by comethead »

Joe Travers wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:43 pm
comethead wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:34 am
There was a poster claiming one a couple years ago I remember. It had a wacky DSO code and could have been a very rare exception but I don't remember a build sheet or window sticker to prove authenticity.

The Hi-Po 'Fairlane V8' debuted in middle of '63, IIRC. I reckon someone with enough stroke could get one built or purchase one of the '64 durability or rally cars after testing? IDK.

Joe II
Hey Joe I think that’s the key….a build sheet or window sticker. Anything else just isn’t enough.
I remember reading an article on the African Safari 64s. After the race they were completely thrashed and were stored in a warehouse somewhere in Africa never to be seen again. The ones that surfaced in the US with their beautiful paint jobs were slapped together by Mercury after the event to tour the US.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed