another new guy!!

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
barbee6043

another new guy!!

Post by barbee6043 »

I got my 64 202 car bought and home to SE TEXAS 77301 other day. Wife will have to do the pics! I admit I am old (75) and woreout Mopar guy since the 80s and have had them all, hemis to slants. Way back in the mid 90s I saw a 64 Comet sitting in a pasture and have wanted to build one since! Still have a couple of Mopars and 1 AMC. It needs floor pans ( easy for me), and the gas tank has a few epoxy patches and a small hole. Non running six,was col.auto. My plan. Get the usual 18 ga mild sheet and bend my pans, front seat MIA so I will use SmittyBilt jeep CJ5 repop buckets, sorta of a SS thing, bud has some 289 cores, and probably trans, he has some 65 Fairlane bone cars, but I guess the rear is a litle too wide?? rebuild front suspension with 65 parts, drums are fine with me, sand down the surface rust and epoxy prime for now. I do my body/paint but it i hard for this old guy now! Can't pay it done if I wanted too!
That ram air hood sets off these cars IMO. I am tight but nature and by need. I know they are repoped and oem can be found BUT..$$$$$.... I have fabbed my own Early Mopar B body hemi and max wedge scoops out of 20 ga. made from oem specs. I like the fact that those scoops lets in cool air and HOT air out. Since I am NO racer that plus the eye candy was my motive. I can envision me making the ram air set up less the duct work to carb obviously. I rather find another hood, rough and cheap for this exercise! I would love to have the measurements if anyone has the time and a correct hood to measure!! The .L and W of opening and the height and length of top of hood part plus a pic to give the idea of slope to sides. LIke said, NO under hood duct work!!!!
Thanks for having me here!!!!

Caveman49

Re: another new guy!!

Post by Caveman49 »

You’re doing good, I’m 73, takes me a bit to get started, but when the motivation hits, I have at it as much as possible 😁

Sounds like you got a plan, you have an envisioning tool, lol, sounds like that master craftsman Ian (I believe is his name) has a “custom garage” show on tv.

Pics would be great to follow your build. Believe me, there are some really skilled individuals on this site, they’re very helpful, at least have been for me.

Enjoy the build!
Motor Safe,
Lee

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

barbee6043 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:01 pm
bud has some 289 cores, and probably trans, he has some 65 Fairlane bone cars, but I guess the rear is a litle too wide??
Take a tape measure to that Fairlane differential. I'm betting it fits. Probably have to remount the spring pads, not sure on that one.
I pulled a '66 Fairlane GT 9" that was actually an inch shorter than a '68 Mustang 8" years ago.
'65 Fairlane is shorter, IIRC.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

barbee6043

Post by barbee6043 »

I wonder what front suspension parts from the 65 Fairlane boners will work on my 64 Comet. I need the 4 bolt stuff gone!

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Sorry but Fairlane front suspension is all different.
As has been stated go 65 Comet/Falcon. other than the Centrelink it's all 65 Mustang. I know $$ but you will be doing it again if you use something else.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Minion had the whole front shebang here last year but he's up North-
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17047
Maybe ya'll can work something out, if he still has it.

Checked the rear track width, 56" for both cars. Hope it fits.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Joe Travers wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:25 pm

Joe
looks like 65 steering linkages !! :D maybe spindles too?
Johno

barbee6043

Post by barbee6043 »

SASSY wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:14 pm
Sorry but Fairlane front suspension is all different.
As has been stated go 65 Comet/Falcon. other than the Centrelink it's all 65 Mustang. I know $$ but you will be doing it again if you use something else.
Fred
Any parts that I might could use off my bud's 65 Fairlanes would help, like battery tray ? underhood V8 engine wiring? I assume all these Ford cars will interchange with Mopar 5 on 4 1/2 wheels ?? Center register same?? I guess 64 bumper are one year only???? My learning curve is steep!!! Thanks for the info!!!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:43 pm
Joe Travers wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:25 pm

Joe
looks like 65 steering linkages !! :D maybe spindles too?
I downloaded this pic of minions so I could zoom in for a better look, it IS 65 v8 manual steering parts. I'm pretty sure the spindles are 65 too,but if their part number starts with a C5 then they are 65. Maybe Fred (sassy) can tell for sure.but you would need both spindles & linkages from a 65 & It would improve your 64's steering. if he is giving them away it'd be worth paying the freight of a pallet. Fastenal is said to be a cheap way to ship.
Johno

barbee6043

Post by barbee6043 »

I have tried messaging him but no response. It would be a great deal and I don't mind paying for parts and shipping!!

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

He hasnt been signed in since oct /22. Try sending him an email. Click his user name a click send email.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

barbee6043

Post by barbee6043 »

I have found a Texas bone yard with probably all the used parts needed, Good guy I have bought Mopar stuff from before just a days ride away!! Should I just buy new upper/lower arms from Rock at about $115 oer side? I know what the work is changing out Mopar stuff? NOT fun! I assume the v8 spindles mount to the 64 six cyl. arms???? Need new coil springs/shocks. Looks like new loaded arms/springs/shock are the way to go???? Thanks!!

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

barbee6043 wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:41 am
I have found a Texas bone yard with probably all the used parts needed, Good guy I have bought Mopar stuff from before just a days ride away!!
Drop me a PM if you spot a '63 in the yard. I'm 3 hrs. from you, don't know what direction you're headed.
Thanks!

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

barbee6043

Post by barbee6043 »

Headed North 5 hours I will see IF he has a 63. Might be a couple weeks before we make the trip. Send me a direct message so I don't lose your handle!