MY 64 gasser

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
vicegrip

Re: MY 64 gasser

Post by vicegrip »

Hey,there's a guy on fordfe.com doing a 65 gasser,goes by Tommy-T.He is running a FE but the thread is pretty informative on gasser type builds.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

no excuses wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:20 pm
picked up a C6 core transomission and a driveline safety hoop at the PIR swap meet.
PIR? Where is that at?
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

no excuses

Post by no excuses »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:36 pm
no excuses wrote:
picked up a C6 core transomission and a driveline safety hoop at the PIR swap meet.
PIR? Where is that at?
Portland International Raceway, Held at the same time as swap meet at the Portland expo center

no excuses

Post by no excuses »

vicegrip wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:21 am
Hey,there's a guy on fordfe.com doing a 65 gasser,goes by Tommy-T.He is running a FE but the thread is pretty informative on gasser type builds.
Thanks, it was very fun read. Hope he gets it finished and up and running soon.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

no excuses wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:39 pm
Boss/Cyclone wrote:
no excuses wrote:
PIR? Where is that at?
Portland International Raceway, Held at the same time as swap meet at the Portland expo center
Wondered because the large Ford only swap meet was yesterday in Columbus, Ohio
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

no excuses

Post by no excuses »

been a while since I have posted, work, fishing and life get in the way. Body has a little cancer that I will cut out and replace.

no excuses

Post by no excuses »

ended up cutting out the factory front frame rails. Went with some 2"x4"x.1875", overkill but will make for some solid motor and front end mounts. They are the same height and width in the car as the factory frame rails. I tied them into the 2"x3" rails that were already in place in the cabin compartment.

mocked in place

welded in place

no excuses

Post by no excuses »

in for a penny, in for a pound lol. Ended up getting carried away with the saws and the nest thing you know I had cut the whole back end out of the car. I am going to tub it so I can run the tire I want.
Ran a cross member from side to side so I can tie everything the cabin framework and the back half frame work together.

ran a piece of 1/8"x2" flat bar across the back and welded it to the back of the car. I then welded a piece of 1"x3" to that all the way to the inner fenders. Give me a little more to weld into and when I sheetmetal back into it it will give me something to tie into.

some more of the 2"x4" tubing for the back half. I will add a picture later but the frame rails are the same height as the trunk floor that is left to make it easier to add sheetmetal flooring.

another view of the crossmember, here you can see how it is tied into the side of the car. That is 1/4"x4" welded to the inner sides.

Last edited by no excuses on Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

no excuses

Post by no excuses »

tires and wheels mocked into place. 28/10.50/15 on 15x10 wheels. I have a couple of inches on each side so I could go bigger if I wanted too.

How I hope it ends up sitting when I am done lol.

no excuses

Post by no excuses »

checking to see if the axle is straight with the rear end jig. It was not to bad. A little heating/shrinking and hoping to pull it back into place.

WMS to WMS was 55", I need to shorten it to 47" to make it work with my rims. Measure 10x and hopefully only cut once. One side down and will remove the bearing housing and cut the other.

Both sides shortened and back brace, oil drain and fill plugs welded in place

takes a long time to weld, I would weld about 3/4" to a inch weld in four different spots and then wait for it to cool. Try not to get to much heat in the axle and pull it out of straightness. Even with that I still had to heat and shrink the axle tubes some to get them back to being straight.

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Man you’re right, lots of welding. Looks like you’ve got it pretty well covered in the direction you want to go. Great work, and pics.
Motor Safe,
Lee

no excuses

Post by no excuses »

tacked the rear spring sliders in place, calvert said they should compress 2"-3" when they have weight on them. I compressed them with some pipe clamps and tacked them on place with the pinhole sitting about 2/3 to the rear. you can also see the 1x3" sq tube that I welded to the .125"x2" flat bar that I welded to the back of the car. I had to slice the frame rails down to 3" where they meet the 1x3 so the frame rails would not hang down.
not sure how I am going to rehang the rear bumper yet lol.

saSSoman8810

Post by saSSoman8810 »

I am building a 65 Comet Gasser and just discovered your build. My car is strikingly similar to yours. I am using a 311 inch sbf for power. i had a line on a built c-4 for a good price however the guy had to sell it before I could drive down to get it.
So I originally wanted a c-6 because of there inherent strength. Now that my c-4 is gone maybe it was a sign that a c-6 is in order.
What steering box are you going to use ? I am thinking Vega so I can mount it in front of the axle and that will eliminate the steering box clearance issues by using a stock box.
I like the way you used tubing to tie everything together. I am using leaf springs and sliders. I will be using composite leaf springs that I bought from an member.

StPro

Post by StPro »

FYI the cowl is available as a replacement part.
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

Rootsy

Post by Rootsy »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:32 pm
no excuses wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:39 pm
Boss/Cyclone wrote:

PIR? Where is that at?
Wondered because the large Ford only swap meet was yesterday in Columbus, Ohio
Do you know the dates for ‘24 by chance?
1964 Cyclone - 2 Dr / HT - A work in progress...