Starter alignment issues on 351c

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
GasserMac

Starter alignment issues on 351c

Post by GasserMac »

A while back I picked up a mounting starter bracket for a 351 Windsor in the hopes that it would work with my Cleveland. This was for test trial on a stand and not having to deal with the mass of the C6 until I dropped it in the car.
The bracket is for a Windsor but shouldn't matter since it's all sbf, right? Well, yesterday the Power master starter fought me like crazy. Upon starting, the bendix gear would not mesh at all with the flex plate and no amount of bracket adjusting would allow any decent amount of gear mesh. Often the gear would bind against the plate teeth without even meshing with the plate and would not retract. Odd thing is that I recently cranked it successfully although I wasn't pleased with the engagement. A bit too much of grind.
Think I should chuck the bracket and mount up the C6 anyway. If I were to eventually accomplish proper match up i'm afraid I would have to repeat fresh troubleshooting after getting it in the car. The bracket may get me a false sense of security. Easier to fight it outside rather than inside. Also, I did not have the separator plate installed if that would even factor in. Shimming....? Uhhhhhhggg........Thoughts....advice...?

SASSY

Re: Starter alignment issues on 351c

Post by SASSY »

I agree with your thinking on mounting the trans and solving any engagement issue BEFORE it's in the car.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

sanderjs

Post by sanderjs »

I think the Cleveland block is similar to the modified block not the SBF pattern and the Windsor bracket would be completely different!?!?
1965 404

barrys65cyclone

Post by barrys65cyclone »

Clevland is the same as SBF mid plate and flywheel have to match for proper engagment of starter.