StPro's 65 Comet rebuild

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
StPro

Re: StPro's 65 Comet rebuild

Post by StPro »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:12 pm
What a cool build!! Bet your excited to be finally building your Comet. Going to be fun to watch!! One question...when done does your oldest get to borrow the car. Ya know for old times :)

Lou
He is running a Mustang that runs in the 4s in the 1/8th with a friend. So his need for speed has deep roots.
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

StPro wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:17 pm
Lou's Comet wrote:
What a cool build!! Bet your excited to be finally building your Comet. Going to be fun to watch!! One question...when done does your oldest get to borrow the car. Ya know for old times :)

Lou
He is running a Mustang that runs in the 4s in the 1/8th with a friend. So his need for speed has deep roots.
That's cool as #ell ! And it all started at 14 in Dads comet??
Is your comet going to be a drag car? Or street/strip?

Lou

StPro

Post by StPro »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:57 pm
StPro wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:17 pm
Lou's Comet wrote:

Lou
That's cool as #ell ! And it all started at 14 in Dads comet??
Is your comet going to be a drag car? Or street/strip?

Lou
Mostly drag racing.I was told that the cam was not going to like street use.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
70 Torino GT

StPro

Post by StPro »

Removing rust holes at the firewall area.
Time to Fill The Holes
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
70 Torino GT

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Man that is a lot of work! Rust is bad stuff.
Since you are working in that area, give some thought to changing the “bump” that is at the bottom of the firewall in the wheel well. I removed that area and installed a flat panel to gain more clearance for the front tires because I wanted the car to sit as low as possible in the front. Turns out the limiting factor on my car is the header collectors, I have about 4” of clearance between the flange and the ground.
Jim
Here is the area I changed:
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

StPro

Post by StPro »

A/FX wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:28 pm
Man that is a lot of work! Rust is bad stuff.
Since you are working in that area, give some thought to changing the “bump” that is at the bottom of the firewall in the wheel well. I removed that area and installed a flat panel to gain more clearance for the front tires because I wanted the car to sit as low as possible in the front. Turns out the limiting factor on my car is the header collectors, I have about 4” of clearance between the flange and the ground.
Jim
Here is the area I changed:
I may have to throw wheels and tires on to check that out.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
70 Torino GT

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I'm going to put this over here instead of lou's thread.
Lou's Comet wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:43 pm
the flange you have pictured on your car needs removed.

Lou
the one in the car is the torque box flange. the bottom part of firewall /toeboard lays right on top of it, but cant because of the reversed flange. flange could be cut off & toeboard simply tacked to the torque box. If they ever ran into this on the assembly line I bet they just cut it off.

Lou even the pic you posted of your car looks like the torque box flange is welded to the lower a piller / side of car but toe / floor skin looks like it was cut off & welded to the t box. probably your stitch welds. all I remember is a bunch of random spot welds from toeboard to torque box scattered all around in the middle but may have been some on the sides. here is a pic of my 65 cali parts car t boxes,you can see some of the random places where I drilled off the toeboard,(I needed part of it for a patch)

here are some more pics of the t boxes,you can see more of where I drilled out the spot welds on them. (more 8x10 glossy photos)
https://www.cometcentral.com/forum/view ... 259#p66259
& I think I remember lots of the thick factory sealer all down the sides .
so I found some more pics might help. Looks like they just cut the flange off where it lays on the torque box, I bought new toeboards but they weren't tall enough so I needed these pieces of the firewall. in these pics I have the pass side cleaned up but haven't taken off the driver side yet;
Johno

StPro

Post by StPro »

I was having a brain fry moment with the firewall flange. It has been 6 years since the boys cut the firewall out of the Falcon and I didn't work on that car. My next task is to make new torque boxes after finishing cowl and A pillar patches. I want my new pieces to fit before I cut out more.
Final fit on battery tray front apron.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
70 Torino GT

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:22 pm
I'm going to put this over here instead of lou's thread.

the one in the car is the torque box flange. the bottom part of firewall /toeboard lays right on top of it, but cant because of the reversed flange. flange could be cut off & toeboard simply tacked to the torque box. If they ever ran into this on the assembly line I bet they just cut it off.

Lou even the pic you posted of your car looks like the torque box flange is welded to the lower a piller / side of car but toe / floor skin looks like it was cut off & welded to the t box. probably your stitch welds. all I remember is a bunch of random spot welds from toeboard to torque box scattered all around in the middle but may have been some on the sides. here is a pic of my 65 cali parts car t boxes,you can see some of the random places where I drilled off the toeboard,(I needed part of it for a patch)
Thanks John, makes sense now. The flange I thought was toe board/ floor is really flange from torque box and toe board/floor just lays on top of the torque box. Duh lol. Sorry for all the confusion. Did that in 2011 memory doesn't really like going back that far :)

StPro

Post by StPro »

I have been working on getting the replacement Falcon firewall fitted. I have to make patch pieces to fill holes where the the firewall was cut cut too short.
The next pieces to address will be the replacement toe boards. It is nice to be able to buy some patch panels so we don't have to make every part. My main objective is to get all the fire wall and cowl repair patches complete and fitted so when I cut out and make new torque boxes I will have a proper fitting firewall for reference .
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
70 Torino GT

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Good job, man 8)

Always cool to see someone with fab skills getting it done.
Something I aspire to become before I'm out of here. No one I trust locally, Have to do it myself, sink or swim.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

StPro

Post by StPro »

Joe Travers wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:11 pm
Good job, man 8)

Always cool to see someone with fab skills getting it done.
Something I aspire to become before I'm out of here. No one I trust locally, Have to do it myself, sink or swim.

Joe
All we can do is try. You know Fake it until you Make it right.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
70 Torino GT

StPro

Post by StPro »

I hate when My projects that delayed My real project get side tracked with domestic projects.
My 65 Comet got put on the back burner by my CNC plasma table build. That just got pushed out of the way to do brake booster on a 2014 Edge.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
70 Torino GT

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Oh well. good to step away from it some, keep from getting burn out. mines been on back burner too,,,I really want to jump back in it now, but need to get some out door projects done before it gets too hot.
Johno

iglooman

Post by iglooman »

Awesome build!!! :D :D :D