StPro's 65 Comet rebuild

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
StPro

StPro's 65 Comet rebuild

Post by StPro »

ImageImageThis is my 1965 Comet Caliente. I bought the car for $1500.00 over 30 years ago. It had a 289 Edelbrock Performer 4V cam and kit with an automatic transmission and the kid who owned it had been beating on it and had hurt the motor.
At that time, I had a 65 comet 202 I had just finished reworking. It was Porsche Indi Red with Granada maroon Interior, lowered with heaver springs front and rear sway bars and Magnum 500. One of my customers that I was installing a roll cage in his 1970 Torino Cobra had to have the 202 so off it went. And I started on the Caliente.
I pulled the 289 sold the performer parts and built a 302 with 271 Hp heads with 351w valves very large Hyd cam and a (2) 4V intake. Sold the auto trans and installed a close ratio top loader 4spd and a 9” with 410 gears. I t was quite the rocket for a 2700 lb car. Not the fastest but would hold its own against the Bully’s 440 GTX on the street.
About that time My oldest boy decided it was time to start driving and took it out for a joy ride at 1 Am with one of his new friends. I remember the knock on the door and the cop and the kid standing there at 2am. The first thing the officer says is.14-Year-old kids shouldn’t be driving Hotrods as there first car. Being early spring, I hadn’t bought tabs or insurance for the car yet it created big hassle with the state. So, I parked the car under the deck and living life gets in the way of the best laid plans.
Several years ago, I decided to do a BFX project with the car. Time and weather was not kind to the car setting out side. Doors, trunk, hood and floors all took a beating. 2010 I ordered all the fiber glass parts Crites , hood, doors, fender, bumpers, Fiber glass glove box/radio delete panel and floors pans for the car and started dismantling the car and sent it out for sand blasting. Back from the blasters I have a lot of rust repair to do and I mean a lot.
ImageImage

So here we are 2023 I have been in my new Garage for several months now fighting to get sum of the rusted metal cut out and replaced
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

poboyjo65

Re: StPro's 65 Comet rebuild

Post by poboyjo65 »

Hard to tell what the color is. Is it tiffany blue like Roys & mine was original or the greener one,sorta mint color,cant remember the name of it.

how are the quarters? they look pretty straight,bad lowers? what all rust problems?
Johno

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Porsche Indi red is one of the best reds ever. Your new build looks like a solid starting point for a build. Keep posting updates. Looks great.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

I’ll be following your build, sounds interesting for sure. All the best with it.
Motor Safe,
Lee

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

You can bet I’ll be watching this one.

Jim

StPro

Post by StPro »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:32 pm
Hard to tell what the color is. Is it tiffany blue like Roys & mine was original or the greener one,sorta mint color,cant remember the name of it.

how are the quarters? they look pretty straight,bad lowers? what all rust problems?
I thought the color was sea foam green but I am color blind. Rust starting in the front the battery tray ,floors, cowl, some holes in torque boxes, dash, roof trunk seal lip, like I said a lot of rust.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
70 Torino GT

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

StPro wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:09 pm
poboyjo65 wrote:

I thought the color was sea foam green but I am color blind. Rust starting in the front the battery tray ,floors, cowl, some holes in torque boxes, dash, roof trunk seal lip, like I said a lot of rust.
You have quite a project going on, looks like you have a solid plan for the build. Will you be installing some type of sub frame connectors? What suspension are you planning front and rear?
Have considered having the whole body chemically stripped? You have it broken down enough to have the process done. I had my Cyclone dipped then ecoated, in my mind it is the best route for a build. The secret is having the e coat done after the stripping, it coats all the internal areas that the stripping process got to so there is no rusting from the inside out.
Keep the progress posts coming.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I was thinking if some one was going to open up the sides of their cowl to fix & seal around the inlets,they might could use the sides I cut off mine so I saved them, just make the hole a little smaller all way around so they could screw my sides on & have access covers. or they may need the sides because their sides were rusted out.
they are in pretty good shape.
Johno

StPro

Post by StPro »

A/FX wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:45 pm
StPro wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:09 pm
poboyjo65 wrote:

You have quite a project going on, looks like you have a solid plan for the build. Will you be installing some type of sub frame connectors? What suspension are you planning front and rear?
Have considered having the whole body chemically stripped? You have it broken down enough to have the process done. I had my Cyclone dipped then ecoated, in my mind it is the best route for a build. The secret is having the e coat done after the stripping, it coats all the internal areas that the stripping process got to so there is no rusting from the inside out.
Jim
I did think about having it dipped to finish stripping it I don't believe we have a stripper in town. I had it blasted almost 10 years. ago
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
70 Torino GT

StPro

Post by StPro »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:53 pm
I was thinking if some one was going to open up the sides of their cowl to fix & seal around the inlets,they might could use the sides I cut off mine so I saved them, just make the hole a little smaller all way around so they could screw my sides on & have access covers. or they may need the sides because their sides were rusted out.
they are in pretty good shape.
I bought a replacement cowl. Most of the sheet metal under the cowl is shot
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
70 Torino GT

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Here's the old Ditzler color chart for '65-

Looks like Aquamarine to me (my favorite).

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

StPro

Post by StPro »

A/FX wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:45 pm

Jim
I moved the front spring hanger inboard of the frame and have a set of Caltracs with Split mono leaf and sliders for the rear. The front will have AJE Colt 65 k member with Santhuff struts and RaceCraft 2" dropped spindles. I may have to use shorter control arms but I will decide that after the cars on the ground. It will get a full cage and frame as needed.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
70 Torino GT

StPro

Post by StPro »

Is the color code on the fender apron number or do I have to get it off the door tag?
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
70 Torino GT

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

StPro wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:55 pm
Is the color code on the fender apron number or do I have to get it off the door tag?
Should be second code on door tag after body code.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

What a cool build!! Bet your excited to be finally building your Comet. Going to be fun to watch!! One question...when done does your oldest get to borrow the car. Ya know for old times :)

Lou