New to this site help on my new 64 Comet Cyclone please

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Higgboth

New to this site help on my new 64 Comet Cyclone please

Post by Higgboth »

Howdy Folks

I am new to the site and just found and purchased a bit of a barn find. I found a decent shape 64' Comet Cyclone. I have a couple of parts needed for it right away. I have built many Mustangs over the years and Oldsmobiles as well :) I know the wrong site for the Olds guy to be on.

The driver's tail light lens has been broken while stored for the last 25 years. I have not seen any repops for them, but that does not mean they are unavailable. I have found a NOS and used one and have noticed a difference. I was hoping someone could help with that. My lenses are red inside and outside, with a white lens in the center. So far, all the ones I have found are Red in all three lenses.
Tail Light Help.jpg
Tail Light Help.jpg (227.91 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
I am going to keep the stock rims and stainless hubcaps etc.. What size 14" tires are you guys with stock running?
Stock Rims1.jpg
Stock Rims1.jpg (229.58 KiB) Viewed 1019 times

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: New to this site help on my new 64 Comet Cyclone please

Post by A/FX »

Higgboth wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:22 pm
Howdy Folks

I am new to the site and just found and purchased a bit of a barn find. I found a decent shape 64' Comet Cyclone. I have a couple of parts needed for it right away. I have built many Mustangs over the years and Oldsmobiles as well :) I know the wrong site for the Olds guy to be on.

The driver's tail light lens has been broken while stored for the last 25 years. I have not seen any repops for them, but that does not mean they are unavailable. I have found a NOS and used one and have noticed a difference. I was hoping someone could help with that. My lenses are red inside and outside, with a white lens in the center. So far, all the ones I have found are Red in all three lenses.

Tail Light Help.jpg

I am going to keep the stock rims and stainless hubcaps etc.. What size 14" tires are you guys with stock running?

Stock Rims1.jpg
Welcome to the site. Another ‘64 Cyclone in the group is great!
As for the lens, you have the optional back up lights on your car, the solid red lens was just tail and brake lights. I am not aware of any reproductions available, used are rare but they must be out there. You could install the red lenses and disconnect the back up lights, use the center lens for brake/taillights.
I have the lens with the clear center lens but I use it as an amber turn signal, I do not need the reversing lights.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Higgboth

Post by Higgboth »

Thank you. I found a pair of NOS and will replace them until I can scan and print with the backup light. I am not 100% sure what I am going to do with the tires but those stainless caps are cool and original so 14's since I have my Cutlass if I need a speed fix :).

The car was Built in 1964 in Los Angeles, CA; it is a Cyclone 2dr Hardtop Coupe with a 289 Auto column shift. The production number is 5080 out of 7454

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Welcome! Nice find! All the best with your resto.
Motor Safe,
Lee

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! :D Start a build thread in the 64-65 Comets section so we can follow along with your progress. Looks like it’s going to be a great project we can all learn from.

Jim

Higgboth

Post by Higgboth »

Thank you. I got her out of the dirt and onto some take-offs from a 2005 Mustang. I like the wheels but expect that since this car is 100% original, it will not be changed. I do have all the stainless hub caps etc.

I found her stuck in the mud on original bias plys :)
Barn find 2ft deep :)
Barn find 2ft deep :)
AsFound1sm2.jpg (243.33 KiB) Viewed 919 times

I dug her out and got the take-offs on her.
Take-offs
Take-offs
Rims new smalla.jpg (235.94 KiB) Viewed 919 times

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome on! :D Have you thought any bout giving her a bath? :P
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Welcome, cool find!
Did the wheels bolt on, spacers, how thick?
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

'64 Cyclones are pretty rare these days.
With that being said, I'd keep it looking as close to stock as possible and sneak in any upgrades, if you're looking to go that way.
Just my opinion, looking at value.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

I do not believe I have seen another Cyclone in that color. What color interior does it have? Post some pictures. Has the extended storage in the mud caused any undercarriage corrosion?
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”