Comet and Falcon 4 door differences

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
sanderjs

Comet and Falcon 4 door differences

Post by sanderjs »

Hello guys, more 4 door questions.

I ordered the Dennis Carpenter 4 door falcon seals, they do not list them as being for the Comet but I thought all the doors were the same between the two.

On the Comet at the rear latch, or just below the latch area the OEM seal has a longer tongue that pokes out to touch the body area. On the Dennis Carpenter part the tongue in that area is the same as the rest of the seal. I called to speak with them and offer to send my old seals so they could maybe make a comet one. All I got was a generic answer that they are the identical parts from OEM. I was told they didn't remake the seals from old ones and that only make parts with OEM ford dies they bought however many years ago.

So I guess the question is am I wrong about the doors and pillars being the same in the two cars? If the doors are the same then they can't be making an exact OEM part? The OEM Comet seal has a separate molded piece glued in the section I am talking about and a suspicious person may think the manufacturer decided to cut costs by just run the normal seal shape instead of molding the extra piece.....
1965 404

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: Comet and Falcon 4 door differences

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

I have know a few people that use falcon doors on a comet with no issues. Do you have a picture of the section that is the problem?
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry