65 going to try spindles from a 71 mustang

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
tomb22

Re: 65 going to try spindles from a 71 mustang

Post by tomb22 »

I ended up buying new spring bars because the calipers rattled on the mounts. First I tried bending the spring bars more but it only lasted for a couple of trips.
Tom
tomb's 65

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

You may want to put some PB Blaster on the Allen bolt. Seen more than a few snap when rusted.

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:54 pm
You may want to put some PB Blaster on the Allen bolt. Seen more than a few snap when rusted.

Lou
Seen & felt :x ....drilled out :x
Johno

iglooman

Post by iglooman »

A master cylinder for a 74 Maverick has been ordered. But wondered if i should have ordered for a 71 Mustang.
I wasn't quite sure of fitment on the firewall.

I hope this master will be enough for this setup.

Disc/drum

Rotors aren't too easy to find unless going with the speciality shops in the USA. I thought they might be easily found at NAPA etc. Also there seems to be supply chain issues.

iglooman

Post by iglooman »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:54 pm

Lou
thanks Lou.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

iglooman wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:46 pm
Rotors aren't too easy to find unless going with the speciality shops in the USA. I thought they might be easily found at NAPA etc. Also there seems to be supply chain issues.
Did you search on NAPA's website? They still can get some pretty rare parts overnight in most cases, I've found.
Supply chain issues? I couldn't find a kit for a Holley DP on Holley's website year or two ago. Searched around town and found one @ O'Reillys on the shelf :?

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

iglooman

Post by iglooman »

Joe Travers wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:00 pm
iglooman wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:46 pm
Did you search on NAPA's website? They still can get some pretty rare parts overnight in most cases, I've found.
Supply chain issues? I couldn't find a kit for a Holley DP on Holley's website year or two ago. Searched around town and found one @ O'Reillys on the shelf :?

Joe
It does take a lot of searching. And I try as much as possible to get parts locally, otherwise exchange rates and duties at the border become issues. There are a lot more sources in the U.S.

On Amazon.CA I could get one rotor, and same at Carquest.
..just one.
I hope that if I stay with this plan rotors can still be had down the road.

Thanks Joe.

iglooman

Post by iglooman »

While waiting for my comet/falcon center link to arrive from California i've been researching spindles/hubs etc. and found that for the most part you can use any of these early hubs on any spindle it's just a matter of which inner/outer bearings and races you install.

In general!

So I ook the drum off a 67'ish setup that was on a C60A spindle, removed the inner bearing and replaced it with the bearing from the 71 disc and installed that into the inner of the drum instead.......boom, fits and spins like a charm.

Some of this i'm doing to try to contribute to the site. Hopefully I end up adding some helpful info.

Picking up a set of C8 spindles shortly so i'll have a bunch of them minus the C5 and C9. Would be good to have pics and measurements of all of them.

I'm also planning on setting up the spindle with rotor/caliper etc. plumbing it to the master cylinder, all on the bench, and show that working.

cheers!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Cool! & If you add it to the steering upgrade thread ,,,later on I'll edit a copy of the pics & info to the first page of it so all of it is easy to find. I need to replace some pics that are missing from that page but I've just been busy or lazy or somewhere in between.
Johno

iglooman

Post by iglooman »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:00 pm
Cool! & If you add it to the steering upgrade thread ,,,later on I'll edit a copy of the pics & info to the first page of it so all of it is easy to find. I need to replace some pics that are missing from that page but I've just been busy or lazy or somewhere in between.
I hear ya. As I get older I can't figure out if I'm lazy or scattered. I guess from one hour to the next it can be either lol, especially when my pups want to go nap.

iglooman

Post by iglooman »

Great info here, maybe most of you have seen this already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giZE3C5NEp4
ytspindlestuff.jpg
ytspindlestuff.jpg (141.33 KiB) Viewed 623 times
:D

iglooman

Post by iglooman »

Ok so now I have the following sets.......

C30A
C60A
C80A
D1ZA

I guess the one of the main one's i'm missing is the C5 which If I had in the first place I wouldn't have been searching for any more :P

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Street or track made that video. Great guy, I have been to his house and have his coil over front suspension in my 65 Cyclone and my 66 Mustang. Shuan makes great stuff and lives in the area as a bonus.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

iglooman

Post by iglooman »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:13 pm
Street or track made that video. Great guy, I have been to his house and have his coil over front suspension in my 65 Cyclone and my 66 Mustang. Shuan makes great stuff and lives in the area as a bonus.
Wow....very nice!!!

iglooman

Post by iglooman »

tomb22 wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:43 pm
I ended up buying new spring bars because the calipers rattled on the mounts. First I tried bending the spring bars more but it only lasted for a couple of trips.
Tom
Can you tell me rim/tire sizes as well as springs to get the stance your car has?
Yours looks exactly the way I want mine to look.

Cheers
Last edited by iglooman on Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.