Taps 64 Comet Build!

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
IrishTap

Taps 64 Comet Build!

Post by IrishTap »

Alright Guys
Here we Go!

Phase one- Getting her back on the road so i can enjoy her while i do some body work.
She was running solid when i got here but driving her home i realized there were almost no brakes(lucky i live around the corner) after further inspection The front was converted to disc, the old single well master was still installed and the lines to the rear drums were capped off half way so not working. Thus started the chain reaction that has may garage filled with control arms springs swaybar link kits drums shoes etc. Leaf springs come today ( Question on the leafs?(not my terrible hockey team im well aware of their issues) Are the dampeners necessary? It seems there is a bushing in mine that doesn't seem to come with the dampeners online also it looks like most people don't reinstall them in the videdo's i see, any insight?) anyways i digress

I cleaned up everything i am keeping an repainted with rust-oleum flat black
and then bought all new suspension and brakes etc
I went stock for now i figure it gets me back on the road while i fix up the body and enjoy the vehicle, i will revisit building a custom monster down the road.
Had a helluva time getting u bolts for the rear axle i'm hoping the ones i ordered from i think summit will work

I installed new rad and thermostat/housing and gasket
got a new brake master and going to run all new lines
New MATCHING keys for ignition and doors lol different for trunk
Ordered new mirror got the wrong one working on that
got new ashtray for rear and dome light and window trim
Oh and cleaned up the undercarriage as much as i can before i start doing major body work(its pretty solid)and painted the entire under flat black

Now i wait on the leafs and id i need to worry about dampeners?
Everything is prepped and ready to install

working on pics now
Be patient i'm trying to figure it out lol

Tap
Tap :twisted:

IrishTap

Re: Taps 64 Comet Build!

Post by IrishTap »

Im not sure if this will work

https://postimg.cc/gallery/fTjWsP3

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

That thing looks great, very clean body.

1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Cool! Great cruiser. A little exhaust note, wheels? and look at me now!
I would like a sedan ,3 on the tree but,,,,, I know I would be driving it all the time.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

pfleuret

Post by pfleuret »

Very nice looking car!
Pat

1963 1/2 S-22 260/4spd

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Nice cruiser 👍

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

She looks to be in good shape. Looking forward to following your build. Where are you located?

Jim

StPro

Post by StPro »

Nice!
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

IrishTap

Post by IrishTap »

I am located in Mobile Al.

Okay so i am posting some leaf spring pics i have a question. Obviously the old ones are off something else or convertible as far as i can tell, did that dampener only come on the5 springs do i need to get new ones? or can i go without?

I also ordered the shop manual but it has not arrived yet, is there a page or thread where i can find the torque specifications for the front suspension components?

Thanks in advance

Tap

pics have been uploaded to build gallery

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

IrishTap

Post by IrishTap »

okay i need some direction, i installed a spring on drivers side and was having issues getting the passanger side. i installed exactly how i removed but now looking at the shop manual it appears the spring seats might have been installed backwards? is that possible? cant find any pics except my before shots, the shop manual drawing im sure i cant trust either. have pics on the side installed and before i will upload to the build page.

dont want to mess this up

thanks

IrishTap

Post by IrishTap »

these saddles are slightly larger but its what all the distributors list. Anyone delt with this before?

edit. I got an explanation from cjs about the saddles and arms that these are correct and the confusion is just the look of the original and aftermarket so hopefully they are correct.

Also update springs and front suspension are in all except drivers side outer tie rod which i cant seem to find a match even when cross referencing the part number all of the local stores still get the wrong one every time so i got 3 more coming at 5 pm hopefully one will work, wish i knew exactly what was changed in the front end, however small and annoying the hiccup i will overcome it lol

forward progresss