Gas Pedal

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
FuzzyDriver

Gas Pedal

Post by FuzzyDriver »

I'm putting new carpet in my '64 Comet 202 with the 200 L6. Found that the base of the gas pedal is cracked. Has anyone replaced the old, screwed-to-the-floor gas pedal with a '65 and up gas pedal (i.e., the kind that does not screw to the floor)? Any difficulties encountered?
OK...so she might need a little work.Image

comethead

Re: Gas Pedal

Post by comethead »

1965 gas pedals were still screwed to the floor.
On my 64 Falcon I used a 65/66 Mustang V8 gas pedal linkage and pedal https://www.cjponyparts.com/cj-classics ... gI0jvD_BwE

I do remember that I had to cut, weld and bend it to make it work.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

FuzzyDriver

Post by FuzzyDriver »

Didn't expect that. I was trying to figure it out by looking at other cars on the internet and found a 65 Mustang in restoration process and its gas pedal was not on the floor. Thought Comet and Mustang of the same year would have the same linkage.

I'd prefer to have a hanging pedal, but I don't know if I want to do much re-engineering. Did Comets in our early year range ever have hanging pedals? Oh...do you think engine would have changed how much you had to do to it? My money pit is a 200 L6.

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I bought an adjustable aluminum throttle pedal assembly from Speedway Motors which bolts to the firewall and a Lokar throttle cable kit that can be cut to length and connects to your carburetor. I have it connected to a Holley carburetor. It's a hanging pedal. Works great :D
Tom
tomb's 65

FuzzyDriver

Post by FuzzyDriver »

Thanks for the tip! I went to Speedway Motors' site and am considering the Chrome Steel and Billet Aluminum Throttle Pedal and the Lokar cable. Still gotta figure out if the cable can reach all the way around to the passenger side of my straight-six and will it work OK with the factory carb. Going to go 2V, but not before I finish the interior, including the accelerator pedao.