The Tom Coward ‘64 A/FX Comet

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
A/FX
Comet Central Member

The Tom Coward ‘64 A/FX Comet

Post by A/FX »

Today I attended the vintage drag racing event at the Great Lakes Dragaway. The main reason for being at the event was to see the Tom Coward/ Kanois Enterprise’s Comet.
This is the car that in 1973 I used it’s hood to make a mold for the hood that is on my Comet today. The car has since been restored to the Tom Coward livery, but was the Kanois Enterprise’s Comet when I made the mold. Here are a few photos.
Jim

‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

SASSY

Re: The Tom Coward ‘64 A/FX Comet

Post by SASSY »

Jim ,do you know what changes were made under those shocktowers. Obviously cut but they dont look much smaller than stock.
Did I read something about shorter UCAs and mount moved out?
Any input appreciated.
Great to see the old race cars even though they're just museum pieces, was it fired up?
I, maybe more than alot of members understand the reasons for wanting to see that car again,,, the personal memories attached and the age of those memories! Very cool!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Too cool, Jim 8)

Has ownership of the car changed much in those 50 years?

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

SASSY wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:59 pm
Jim ,do you know what changes were made under those shocktowers. Obviously cut but they dont look much smaller than stock.
Did I read something about shorter UCAs and mount moved out?
Any input appreciated.
Great to see the old race cars even though they're just museum pieces, was it fired up?
I, maybe more than alot of members understand the reasons for wanting to see that car again,,, the personal memories attached and the age of those memories! Very cool!
It’s funny, when I looked at the shock towers this morning they were cut just like I did mine. When I saw this car the back in the day I did not look at the shock towers and how they were cut, but I “ designed” the cut on mine and it turned out to be almost exactly how Dearborn Steel Tubing did the Comet’s. They did not grind and finish the welds, if you look close to the picture I posted previously you are able to see their welds.
With the towers cut the upper control arm is pushed to the outside by about 2”, this puts the coil spring/ shock absorber at an angle compared to how the factory did it, I guess that does not matter when you inly drive it 1/4 of a mile in a straight line.
He did start the car and drive it across the pit area but he had no plans to run it down the strip. Here is how mine were done, I pie cut them so the bottom of the tower is now just under 2” narrower then tapers upward to nothing. (I eliminated the upper control arm when I installed the struts)
Jim

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Joe Travers wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:19 pm
Too cool, Jim 8)

Has ownership of the car changed much in those 50 years?

Joe
Joe, the current owner is the third owner of the car, we were discussing that today. He has all the paperwork on the car including some from Dearborn Steel Tubing. It was the fourth A/FX Comet built, 20 Caliente’s and one station wagon for Don Nicholson.
In my mind the paperwork is as valuable as the car itself.
Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

A/FX wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:58 pm
Joe, the current owner is the third owner of the car, we were discussing that today. He has all the paperwork on the car including some from Dearborn Steel Tubing. It was the fourth A/FX Comet built, 20 Caliente’s and one station wagon for Don Nicholson.
Yes, certificate of authenticity. The original disclaimer tag is pure gold. 👍
Was wondering if current owner was same that loaned you the hood.
Fifty year reunions are very special, indeed.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Joe Travers wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:14 pm
A/FX wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:58 pm
Yes, certificate of authenticity. The original disclaimer in the glove box is pure gold. 👍
Was wondering if current owner was same that loaned you the hood.
Fifty year reunions are very special, indeed.

Joe
The second owner is the person who loaned me the hood. (RIP) It took quite a while to convince him into letting me take it and having a mold made. He wanted $100 deposit when I took the hood, he gave it back to me when I returned the hood. (In 1973 $100 was all the money in the world to me!)
Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

A/FX wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:18 pm
The second owner is the person who loaned me the hood. (RIP) It took quite a while to convince him into letting me take it and having a mold made. He wanted $100 deposit when I took the hood, he gave it back to me when I returned the hood. (In 1973 $100 was all the money in the world to me!)
Jim
Very cool story! Sorry you didn't get to see him again. :(

Yeah, $100 in '73 was good money. Had to work a lot of hours to come up with it.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

StPro

Post by StPro »

Cool story! It is very important to see and hear about the old cars. I took My youngest to a nostalgia race just to see some of the older cars, just to give him a proper perspective.
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT