Windshield Washer Magic

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
FuzzyDriver

Windshield Washer Magic

Post by FuzzyDriver »

My Comet 202 has a single speed wiper and came without a washer. Nothing around except two loose wires from the wiper switch. Service manual designates these "Windshield-Washer Coordinator When Used". I would like to put in an electric washer and have it turned on via one of those awesome foot switches.

Back in '78 I had a '63 Meteor with a foot switch and really appreciated it. I told passengers who had no idea how I was making the wipers swipe once when the windshield misted over that it was magic. I want that magic back. :)

Anyone around here upgraded their moneypits to a footswitch wiper and electric washer combination? I see footswitches with a manual squirter, but I'd like to make it electric. It also looks like the footswitch for a two-speed wiper is a DPST which would enable independent connections, enabling both a single-speed wiper and an electric washer pump BUT since it's one switch they would come on at the same time. Maybe use a timer relay to delay energizing the washer pump when all you want is a swipe...might work OK.

Open to suggestions! Any wizards out there to help with this magic? Anybody got a two-speed footswitch laying around in their potion laboratory open to experiment?
OK...so she might need a little work.Image

poboyjo65

Re: Windshield Washer Magic

Post by poboyjo65 »

I'm in the process of installing a 2 speed wiper motor & switch from an 80's truck with intermittent switch & module. but I have tested & will wire in the foot pedal swiper. however the truck switch has a built in electric pump switch so I wont use the manual rubber pump bulb in the pedal. the extra faster speed is nice as well as the foot swipe. lots of these cars came with the foot pump ,have you looked to see if you have one? I think even the ones on later cars with 2 sp wipers only swiped in one speed.
but if you wanted to have an electric pump switch in the foot pump you could put a universal horn button for old cars on the foot pumper. the way the foot pumper works is when you barely push on it it has a spring loaded button then pops out activating the wiper swiper. Then push farther down to pump.so you could take off the manual pump bulb & install one like this or similar;
https://www.autozone.com/electrical-and ... lsrc=aw.ds
so if you only wanted to swipe push part way down & all way down for a squirt & swipe.

but I wanted the intermittent ,faster wipers & foot swipe . & have bench tested it. the cool thing is I can have it on intermittent, slow ,say every 10 seconds,& if I need a swipe I can foot swipe it, & it starts its timer all over!

here is some discussion on it
https://www.cometcentral.com/forum/view ... 10&t=16890
Johno

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

That would be cool if you can figure it out. My 67 GT500 has the foot pump with a swipe and always tricked people with its action.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:54 pm
That would be cool if you can figure it out. My 67 GT500 has the foot pump with a swipe and always tricked people with its action.
I got it figured out boss here is a bench test,I tested the delay for about a minute then reached down & pushed the footpedal some.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o43cRCdPb4
cool part is when you let off is waits the proper amount of time again,like it sets the timer back to 0 when you footswipe it.
Johno

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:23 pm
Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:54 pm
I got it figured out boss here is a bench test,I tested the delay for about a minute then reached down & pushed the footpedal some.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o43cRCdPb4
cool part is when you let off is waits the proper amount of time again,like it sets the timer back to 0 when you footswipe it.
Cool, I may try duplicating that over the winter.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Boss since you mentioned them & worth noting that I noticed is that the 67-68 mustangs foot swiper had 1 or more extra wires than the earlier comet versions. either 5 or 6 wires,cant remember off hand . more than comet which was 4 wires, 2 wires to switch the park wire & 2 to switch the power wire.
this is how I wired it. some of the earlier 70's trucks had an extra power wire for the pump in later ones they combined it. so I basically only used the power wire of the comet & ground to the motor, then spliced into the truck wiring with the pedal so the original wiring of the comet stays intact.
Johno