1965 Comet Project

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
2gr8kids

1965 Comet Project

Post by 2gr8kids »

Here is my project... A little unconventional hot rodding a 4 door, but I love it and I don't care if others are not fond of it.

I've had the car for about 6 or 7 years. I live in Michigan and went to Arizona to pick it up. I flew down on a Fiday before a Memorial day weekend and took a test drive then proceeded to drive back without much more than a quick inspection. Fortunately, I made with only some minor overheating issues.

I didn't do much to it initially except for some minor repairs and swap the 3 speed manual out for a T5 I found on Craigslist.

In the last year I've made some siginficant progress on the suspension. One major goal was that I wanted it to handle decent.

A little over 2 years ago I was fortunate enough to land a job at Detroit Speed in Mooresville, North Carolina. I was an engineer there and used my car as the basis for the kits. I'm no longer there but will always have have fond memories of that job and the team I worked with. I've since relocated back to Michigan to spoil some grandkids!

So the suspension in the car is full Detroit Speed. This car handles excellent. It made the curvy roads in North Carolina so much fun!

The rear end is a Ford 9". The rear end housing is from Detoit Speed. The differential was built by GearFX in Mooresville, NC. It is a Strange case, Eaton Tru-trac diff with 3.55 gears.

The brakes are Baer 13" front and 12" rear. I have their master cylinder but have not installed it yet. It currently has a dual reservoir manual master.

Engine is what came with the car. It is a 289 and needs to be refreshed or updated.

Front tires are 245/17 the rear are 275/17. I needed to run at least 17" wheels to clear the Bear brakes but didn't want to go any larger than needed. I'm not fond of the thin rubber band tires on old cars.

Steering column is from Ididit and the steering wheel is Scott Drake.

Future plans...
Install the Baer master cylinder. I've picked up a iBooster that I'm contemplating using in conjuction with the Baer master cylinder. More to investigate... the iBooster is a bit large and may not fit without a lot of fab work. I'm not opposed to doing that, it may have to wait until I have a shop set up again.

Exhaust. The current exhaust is a bit cobbled together. It was kind of a mess when I got it and was modifed while installing the suspension. It needs to be trashed and a full new system built. Hopefully I can get that done over the winter.

Vintage air. If I'm alone I typically have the windows down. When I have my wife or others with me it is hard to carry on a conversation with the wind noise.

Re-wire the car. Like so many cars of this age it has had its share of cutting & splicing done.

Eventually address the tired 289.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: 1965 Comet Project

Post by A/FX »

Interesting build. Pictures?? Link to web site?? Im sure others are interested in the intricate details of the suspension installation.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

2gr8kids

Post by 2gr8kids »

The best place to see the details of the suspension is on the Detroit Speed website. Go to the platform page and click on any of the suspension options and take a look at the instructions. There are quite a few pictures and the steps required to install the suspension. If there are specific questions I'll try to answer them.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Your car looks great. My son-in-law is doing something similar. He is building a road race inspired street car out of a 4 door 67 Falcon. Your build will be some great inspiration for him.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Where are you in Michigan? I live not too far from Ididit, and attended their annual car show a few weeks ago.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Good looking old car ,nice stance! :D
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Great lookin moredr!!
Those 17s look right at home!
I need to check out the suspension shop for sure.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

2gr8kids

Post by 2gr8kids »

I'm located in Clare, Michigan