Root's 64 Cyclone Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Rootsy

Re: Root's 64 Cyclone Build

Post by Rootsy »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:50 pm
James, your progress is impressive. It seems like everyday major jobs completed, awesome job!
I have a goal of what I wish to accomplish while the weather holds so that I can get on to the next step in this process - a lot of time spent planning and trying to keep that plan in line without wandering off to work on NVA items. I need to get this car as a roller so I can get it some place to begin body work and paint. I seem to have sold everything to transport this thing when I sold the farm. Somewhat short sighted thinking I wouldn't need certain things at any point in the future.

Sooner I get this done the more time I will have this month to go catch some perch on Lake Erie.
1964 Cyclone - 2 Dr / HT - A work in progress...

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Looks like a few cold rainy days coming up Thursday thru Saturday , then back in the mid 60's next week so you have some opportunities to, hopefully, get it rolling.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Rootsy

Post by Rootsy »

Against my better judgement I just put 1/2 a gallon of JAU single stage from dash to tail lights in this thing. You won’t see most of it but I might need to do some color sanding and compounding on the dash and rockers.

NOW I feel like I can “begin” putting this thing back together.

I need to clean up and shoot the leafs and shoot the steering column so that I can get it mobile.

Seems like good time to book a dyno visit for the 331. Here’s to hoping i torqued everything…

Rootsy

Post by Rootsy »

And the results… I’ve done better but then again I have never tried to paint outdoors. Thank God most of this gets covered up by something! Next stop, Dynamat!

Rootsy

Post by Rootsy »

Not a whole lot of work today. Had to run to Toledo for some sheet steel between work meetings - I plan to make a rear firewall similar to Desertrat.

I also ordered 72 sq ft of Dynamat, some rollers and a box of 3M caulk strips this morning. This evening I disassembled my leaf springs, sanded, primed and painted. Same for the export brace.

The Calvert mono leaf springs have never left the driveway and have been sitting in the garage for the past 3 years and have totally rusted. The export brace has what I assume to be some type of ecoat and it chips pretty easily on the edges. Both received JP375 and Speedo-Kote 2k urethane topcoat.

I also installed a motor guard M30 filter after my 2 std filters / dryer / desiccant system and it made a world of difference in my air quality @ the gun.

Last edited by Rootsy on Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Looking through your thread again today, I like the work you are doing. Working on a rotisserie is just the best. Mine is in color and back in my garage ready for the next thing. I decided to build out the suspension at both ends while it is on the rotisserie, makes it so much easier. I was ready to build the front suspension when I discovered a camber mod that i felt had to be done. Parts are ordered and the mod will be completed in a couple of days. Then I can build my car into a roller (except the rear axle) while on the rotisserie. Your build and driveway painting are literally the same as what I am doing. Nice work!!
DR
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Looks great!! I agree with Boss you are making awesome progress.

One thing to think about, the top of your dash is gloss. You will probably get some serious reflection from sun of the shine dash.
You may want to mask off just the top of dash a spray a coat or two of satin/ low gloss clear over it to help cut down the reflection later. I did mine with gloss and the more I thought about it the more I wanted less gloss. So I just hit it with a scotch pad and sprayed some satin clear on it.

Just something to think about.

Car is looking good!!

Lou

Rootsy

Post by Rootsy »

Thanks DR. I honestly don’t know how you paint outdoors like you do.

Picked up my fuel line and rear parking brake cables yesterday from inline tube. The parking brake cables match my originals perfectly - length and all and have metal vs plastic sheathing so they won’t melt. Amazon delivered a whole bunch of stuff - the big item being the dynamat. I need to purchase a roll of cupronickel tube and fittings to begin bending my brake lines up. I do need to buy a set of clips. Is there a “set” available?

I should also probably try to paint my drag link, Tierod ends, spindles, calipers and non friction surfaces on rotors while I am at it.

Last edited by Rootsy on Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rootsy

Post by Rootsy »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:07 pm
Looks great!! I agree with Boss you are making awesome progress.

One thing to think about, the top of your dash is gloss. You will probably get some serious reflection from sun of the shine dash.
You may want to mask off just the top of dash a spray a coat or two of satin/ low gloss clear over it to help cut down the reflection later. I did mine with gloss and the more I thought about it the more I wanted less gloss. So I just hit it with a scotch pad and sprayed some satin clear on it.

Just something to think about.

Car is looking good!!

Lou
I have heard this. I need to wet sand it anyway to get some lint out of the finish so this sounds like a plan. Toledo Painters Supply can make 2K spray bombs.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Digging the red, looks to have blue in it.
I get tired just reading your thread!!
Reminds me of the edited tv builds, lol
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Rootsy

Post by Rootsy »

I am sorry?

Not much happened today - was a busy work day. Spent some time surfing NPD for various things though. Maybe a parts run tomorrow. This afternoon I reassembled my leaf springs and then pulled out all of my body plugs and ran them through a dishwasher cycle and then installed them. Pulled out a number of other parts and went through them to see if they needed paint or ???.

Disassembled my heater box and cleaned it up and made sure all of the cables and diverters worked. I still need to test the motor with my DC power supply. Wondering if I should just replace and not worry about it. I don’t plan to install heater hoses but would still like to be able to defrost. Is there an electric element out there?

Rootsy

Post by Rootsy »

Was messing around earlier organizing pieces and parts and cleaning stuff up. Stuck the master cylinder against the firewall and I think something is missing or maybe extra holes have been added? Does this cutout look correct? This car originally had power brakes.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Rootsy wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:13 pm
Was messing around earlier organizing pieces and parts and cleaning stuff up. Stuck the master cylinder against the firewall and I think something is missing or maybe extra holes have been added? Does this cutout look correct? This car originally had power brakes.

Mine has the same cutout. My car also had power brakes.

Lou

Edit:

Little hard to see but if you enlarge it you can see same cutout on my car

Rootsy

Post by Rootsy »

Guess I need to make a block off plate to close some of that off then. Thank you for the photo and feedback.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Rootsy wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:13 pm
Does this cutout look correct? This car originally had power brakes.
I've seen pics of firewalls with that hole arrangement before. Could it be due to the different connection point for the MC connecting rod to the brake pedal on an auto vs MT?

Jim