Root's 64 Cyclone Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Rootsy

Re: Root's 64 Cyclone Build

Post by Rootsy »

And just so everyone is aware - his hoods come pretty much ready to bolt on for the price you pay. Everything drilled and tapped, etc.

Also regarding the sway bar - I ended up just buying a new 1” one from opentracker. Will need to wait until I have weight on the front and compressed to install the end links.

So if anyone wants a basically NOS 1 1/8 bar and bushings let me know….
1964 Cyclone - 2 Dr / HT - A work in progress...

Rootsy

Post by Rootsy »

Weather is getting nice so back at it!

Last weekend was the local car show and swap meet. Wasn’t there 30 minutes and I spotted these. Price was too attractive to let them stay where they were. Not sure if I want to use them or have my steel ones re-chromed.

Been working on wrapping things up on the underside so I can pull her off the rotisserie. Fuel pump bracket fabricated and mounted. Still need to mount filters and make lines. Hopefully I can find some time this week. Everything is isolated with rubber so hopefully it won’t vibrate the body too badly.

Today I worked on finally fabricating a driveshaft loop. Tunnels in these cars aren’t exactly generous. I used the cross bar from the competition engineering kit and then rolled a strip of 1/4 x 2 HR strip to somewhat match the brake line template I made. It fits pretty well and I want to add another piece Inside the hoop to help contain everything but that needs to wait until the drivetrain is installed and car is on the ground.

331 goes on the Dyno May 3. Here’s to hoping I remembered to tighten all of the rod nuts 😂

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Nice find, I assume the Monroe swap meet. I was out of town or I would have went.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Rootsy

Post by Rootsy »

Yes Monroe. Outside of these I only saw one other person with a few odd and end comet parts. Was a decent size swap meet. I am getting quite the collection of stuff so I might need to setup there for the Fall meet.

Rootsy

Post by Rootsy »

Just about have the fuel system wrapped up now. I do want to replace the tank outlet with an AN hardline fitting rather than slip on and clamp down. Pump is an Aeromotive H.O. that will support 600 hp (90 gph) and is internally regulated @ 7 psi - the intent is to not need to use an external regulator. We will see how it goes.

Put an Aeromotive 1.25” 100 micron SS element filter between the tank and pump and a 1.25” 40 micron replaceable element between pump and carb. This is following the recommendations from Aeromotive. I do have a 2” 10 micron if I want to go finer.

Hose is all -6 AN CPE nylon braid over SS. Looks like Aeromotive recommends -8 from tank to pump, missed that aspect of
It but I reckon I will be fine.

Here’s to hoping the rearend doesn’t interfere with anything…

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Very nice!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Again, what Fred said!
Motor Safe,
Lee