'65 with 351c/C6 install question

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
GasserMac

'65 with 351c/C6 install question

Post by GasserMac »

All, aside from notching the towers, will be attempting a 351c/c6 install using the early 70's mustang Hooker super Comp headers into my '65 Cyclone.
An early 70's Car Craft mag article depicts this with an early 60's Ford with a similar engine bay so the likelihood is doable.
Currently a 351w / c6 resides with Tubular automotive headers. (Tight). Since the rough dimensions of 351w/351c are both sbf my gut is to push ahead using the previous owners infrastructure of install. (Bashing the driveshaft tunnel).
My concern is steering. Would like to stay with the factory linkage and near steer setup. Rack and pinion appears to be the best route according to many folks including mustang and falcon thereby reducing fitment headaches. But...$
If bad comes to worse, does a drop steering linkage setup exist to clear the pan in case of rubbing? Said article spoke of raising the eng/trans by 1" to avoid this but a linkage drop would achieve the same (?)....
Thanks and Good Holidays to everyone...Mac

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: '65 with 351c/C6 install question

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

I have been running a cleveland for 30 years in my 65. The tunnel is probably too small for a C6, I am using a top loader and it is tight. Does your car have slave arm power steering? If it is manual steering should work fine. I did not use the same headers as you but used some now out of production swap headers from total performance in Detroit. They were made for a 65 Mustang and it was very tight on the driver side around the tierod other than that worked great. They were 8 individual pipes that slip fit into colletors with one pipe for each side crossing over to the opposite side.

1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I also ran a 351C ,toploader for many years. I think 70 Mustang headers were used with a couple modded pipes and pounded on lots.
Stock V8 manual steering with some mods to the header pipes for clearance.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

GasserMac

Post by GasserMac »

No PS or PB. Came with a manual 3 speed. Gonna clean up the tunnel by cutting and replacing the section where it joins the firewall. A slight enlargement.
Was considering Sanderson or Doug's shorty headers which looks like a compromise to avoid clearance problems.
Well I'm going to push on with plan A but I'll keep a hammer close or dimple the tubes with a press and dolly. Thanks...

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Not a Cleveland but I stuck a 460 with a C6 in a 65. I probably could have gotten by with shock tower mods but went with a M2 conversion instead. I had to put a couple small pie shaped patches in the tunnel but nothing drastic. The original type carpet fit fine.