Building my 65 Comet

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
StPro

Re: Building my 65 Comet

Post by StPro »

saSSoman8810 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:20 pm
Got some new toys for the Comet. Just need to put some rebuild kits in the carbs and change the funnel web for the tunnel ram after I port match the
runners.image000000 (10).jpg
By the way do you like my restored desk I found in a junk shop.
I had the same intake manifold on my 71Comet with a pair of AFB's off a 66 Lincolns. I loved the combination. I could get 20 MPG on the highway with 4.10s and N50s. Carbs are a spread bore design, and I am sure that is why it had great throttle response and gas mileage.
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

saSSoman8810

Post by saSSoman8810 »

Bought a fresh built C-6 trans today. Now the fun begins making that sucker fit. Probably start mocking up this weekend.
Should be getting the Coyote for the 59 F100 project soon. Might just swing it over into the Comet engine bay for grins to see how it looks.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

saSSoman8810 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:28 pm
Should be getting the Coyote for the 59 F100 project soon. Might just swing it over into the Comet engine bay for grins to see how it looks.
That would be a big grin from me!
They'll fit between the stock towers but headers and access to anything NOT😆
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

saSSoman8810

Post by saSSoman8810 »

My shock towers are in the scrap metal pile. So no worries there.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

saSSoman8810 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:53 am
My shock towers are in the scrap metal pile. So no worries there.
If I did a big wide motor like that I'd be tempted to bolt the towers in for "conversation" at shows,, lol.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

saSSoman8810

Post by saSSoman8810 »

Well it appears that my build has taken a twist. The car will still be built as a street driven Gasser. However now it is being built for another person.
I was contacted by a very nice retired individual who had a 65 Comet as his high school ride and due to life happening it became lawn art for a very long time. Now I will be building this car for him. The car will go through some changes as he does not want a high strung race motor and fully manual automatic. He likes the tunnel ram look as he found the Hot Wheels version of the Comet Gasser.
So that's the direction we are headed except the tunnel ram will get 2 throttle bodies instead of carbs. It will get an overdrive automatic , and it will get heat and a/c. Plus a back seat for his 2 grandkids.
Yes, I know it's a big change but I build cars for a living to supplement my retirement and for a passion of building cars. I will probably be on the
lookout for another candidate for my engine and transmission.
I would be interested in a 2 door post car or maybe even a wagon. Good body minimal rust don't care or want the original drivetrain.
Doesn't have to be a 65 , but nothing newer than 67.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

saSSoman8810 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:33 am
He likes the tunnel ram look as he found the Hot Wheels version of the Comet Gasser.
Found this in a bin @ the pharmacy this morning. It was the first one I picked up @ $1.19.
Crazy thing, there was a 'Mike's Transmissions' shop near me back in the 80s. The owner had a trailered '64 Cyclone drag car back then.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

This was a door prize I won at last year's Comet Gathering in Pigeon Forge.

Jim

saSSoman8810

Post by saSSoman8810 »

That's sort of what he wants. He has the hot wheels and he wants the the motor to stick out through the hood so the tunnel ram will work.
The stripes on the side will be black and the car will be that gray that's popular on the new cars.
Should fun and profitable if all goes well. He said if he liked the Comet he has 2 more builds for me.