1965 Comet Caliente (little red)

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Sugarmaker

Re: 1965 Comet Caliente (little red)

Post by Sugarmaker »

Comet folks,
The center console had some issues at the rear of the lid. The vinyl had cracked open. The goal was to try to improve this structurally and visually.

I trimmed the ragged vinyl to a somewhat straight line. and removed some of the foam to create a cavity for filler material.

Using JB weld two part epoxy in a tan color, I set the lid vertical. Sprayed some adhesive enhancer in the void and filled it with the epoxy.
Pretty crude but it worked pretty well. The epoxy was very runny. cure time was about 1 hour, with sanding time in about 2 hours.

This did shorten the lid by about 1/4 inch but after sanding and a coat of SEM white it was looking a lot better than before.

There was some dremel work on the cured epoxy to allow the hinge to set back in place.

This repair met my goal as a improvement to the console lid. perfect = no, much better = yes

Regards,
Chris and Cheryl

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Looks great, Chris. What was the "adhesive enhancer" you used?

Jim

Sugarmaker

Post by Sugarmaker »

Jim, folks,
Here is a picture of the product to enhance adhesion.

Yesterday was busy with Comet items.
Adam and John and I spent several hours cleaning fasteners and getting the seats in the Comet.

Very happy with the way the seats turned out. yep some problems came up of course.
Set the rails in the car, no more spacer blocks. Except for the factory ones in the rear inside corners.

Checking out the seat control handle location. It was out there a little too far.

Decided to just bend the handle much more vertical. This seems like it will work fine. Out of the way and can be bent back if the car needs to be changed back to stock seat positions,

Used short pieces of all thread with jamb nuts against the seat frames, to set down through the holes in the floor.

Testing the drivers seat fit and position with the rails attached:

Since the seats are back 3 inches this shows the rear of the console, so improving that while the seats were out was the right thing to do:

It was a lot easier to enter and exit the car with the seat rear ward the additional 3 inches!

Got the arm rest prepped and repainted. I stripped the old paint off and let it dry a couple days then used scotch bright to scruff the surface then a coat of the adhesion promoter, let that dry, another coat, let the second coat dry. Then a couple light coats of the white color.

My head is about 1 inch from the headliner. So putting these seats back on the floor was the right thing to do, with the new thicker stiffer foam:
A tip of the hat to Dave's Upholstery shop in Albion PA, he made these look and feel good again. He did have to modify, reshape the foam on the seat base front edge. Came out very nice for old covers.

Seats all the way back and reclined a little, No leg room for anyone in the back for sure:

Had to make new seat rail slide blocks from plastic for the passenger seat rail, they fell out or lost them.

I am going to add a mirror to the passengers side. It seems that it needs to be moved back about 1.5 inches to be able to be viewed, and or useful to the driver?? Is the mirror supposed to be mounted in the same position as the drivers side? If so the mirror is for looks only as the A pillar blocks most of the view.

I had to rebuild the mirror assembly as the mirror would not move. Thread was stripped in the assembly. Got it corrected now ready to mount. Only want to drill holes in the door once!
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Your interior is looking good!
As for the RH outside mirror, it should be in the same location as the LH mirror otherwise it does not look good. Being that most of the exterior mirrors were dealer installed there is no exact location and it differs between cars. When I added the RH mirror to my Cyclone I mocked it up in the same location as the LH side but I was unable to see anything so I moved it until I could see rearward easily. I then removed the LH mirror, welded up the holes and remounted it in the same location as the RH side. Now they look symmetrical and I have great rearward vision. I can measure the location if it will help you.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Sugarmaker

Post by Sugarmaker »

Jim, Folks,
Thanks on the positive comments about the interior. I am very happy with the height and stiffness and look of the seats. Maybe the drivers is kicked back a little more than needed? As I look at the car design more I realize they were designed with the seats at a back position to allow some leg room for passengers. Yep these cars are not real big. Something had to give in the interior design.

On the mirror: Yes the drivers side would need to be moved back to match. I think I am going to relocate the passengers side mirror to the location where it functions for the driver. The next guy will have to move the drivers side:). My drivers side is remote so the cable or mechanism would need to move also. Might be a 1/2 inch hole there?? The passengers side is an accessory that will dress the car up just a little more. I want the safety factor of function just like you did moving that mirror back too.

I was a little disappointed that the new (reproduction) mirror did not function, and froze up on the rotating ball. Could have sent it back ,but next one may have been the same. Just took it apart and rotated the stuck ball and lubed it a little. Then re-tapped the hole for the messed up threads. Crap happens.
Sorry for the rant!
Weather sucks
Hope things are good in Comet land.
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I couldn't get my mirrors exactly even but I have never thought much more about it & really hard to see them at same time unless you're in a tall building above it . But I got them as close as I could & still be able to see some out of the pass side for backing up. I didn't want interference with the wing windows either so had to sacrifice some of the view on pass side. but these cars with the low back seats dont have much of a blind spot if your neck still works good enough to spin it around that far. :lol:
Johno

Sugarmaker

Post by Sugarmaker »

Johno, folks
Not sure the old head can spin that much any more? Good or bad right or wrong I installed the passenger side mirror today.
Yep I went against the grain and moved it to where I had the best visibility as possible. So I will have the only Comet in Erie county with mirrors in different places!:) Some pictures:

The drivers side:

The view from the drivers seat

Regards,
Chris and Cheryl

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

They look good to me. If someone calls you out on it, that's their problem, not yours. :wink:

Jim

Sugarmaker

Post by Sugarmaker »

Jim,
Thanks! It was dealer installed in 65 and set slightly back from the adjustable drivers mirror, to please a little old lady in Memphis! That's my story and I am sticking to it!:) I tend to tell folks on sites like this the good and the bad of these projects on old iron. It's not perfect!
Question: Does anyone know if these mirrors are set into some bedding material to seal the plastic to the body?
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I cant tell it from the last pic . mine are offset & I looked thru about 200 pics of my car & cant find one where it is noticeable. you will forget all about it.

Sugarmaker wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:03 pm
Jim,
Thanks! It was dealer installed in 65 and set slightly back from the adjustable drivers mirror, to please a little old lady in Memphis! That's my story and I am sticking to it!:) I tend to tell folks on sites like this the good and the bad of these projects on old iron. It's not perfect!

:?:
Question: Does anyone know if these mirrors are set into some bedding material to seal the plastic to the body?
Do you mean under the door skin? or the mirror itself
Johno

Sugarmaker

Post by Sugarmaker »

Johno Folks,
Yea I think this will fade quickly (the mirror offset) As we drive the car more. My wife and I plan to do some short trips. OK maybe many short trips. maybe some interstate driving too, where there maybe cars to the right of us or passing a car. My wife is not going to be able to help me look around much at this point in her life, so I worry about being safe on the roads too. The extra mirror is just one added feature.
What I meant was when mounting the mirror on the plastic there are areas where water will get under the plastic base. It doesn't fit tight and is not rubber. its hard plastic. So I thought about maybe putting something like plumbers putty under the plastic and the mirror to seal it up? Ok maybe clear silicon might be better?? Just don't want to make more of a mess either.
Weather was warmer and roads were dry. Cheryl and I went for a 30 mile ride to get ice cream cone and test on it a little. Ran pretty good. Steering may still need some work? I can live with it for a while.
The new floor mats came today:

Regards,
Chris and Cheryl

Sugarmaker

Post by Sugarmaker »

Folks,
Adam and I took the Comet out for a spin. We found why it would not start good the last couple times. A small plastic par t with a plastic nut had broke and the choke was not closing properly.

Ordered two more of these today:

We are in the zone of the eclipse tomorrow, but may have overcast sky's? Hot dogs and hamburgers and family coming over to the shop to party.
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Sugarmaker wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:29 pm
We are in the zone of the eclipse tomorrow, but may have overcast sky's? Hot dogs and hamburgers and family coming over to the shop to party.
We were in the total eclipse zone back in 2017. It was a phenomenal experience! Hope the clouds hold off for you.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14673&p=84411&hilit=eclipse#p84411

Jim

Sugarmaker

Post by Sugarmaker »

Jim, Folks,
The eclipse event was awesome! We had about 16 friends and family at our shop for burgs and dogs! It was a experience of a lifetime with wife, kids, grandkids and great grandkids too.

We did take the Comet for a ride around the block. The part for the choke should be here in a couple days. This engine still has a a miss and has stalled a couple times when trying to accelerate from a stop. could be that choke part. We will see. But I did check the movement in the distributor shaft and I can wiggle it side to side maybe .005 inch. I know this might change the point gap as its running.
I have not put a timing light on the engine yet. (on the list ) It just doesn't feel like timing is too far off. It is more of an intermittent miss at medium RPM. Just have a feel it may be the distributor but could be wrong.
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl

saSSoman8810

Post by saSSoman8810 »

We were at the Masters in Augusta,Ga when the eclipse went over. It was only 70 percent down there.
Your interior looks great and as for the mirror. I had my neck fused about 20 years ago and I could care less if the mirrors are slightly offset, I
want to see behind me and in the other lane. I would hate to crash my ride because I didn't see someone in the other lane.