Re-Wiring Diagram?

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
IrishTap

Re-Wiring Diagram?

Post by IrishTap »

Hey guys its been 6 months since i have had time to work on this damn thing. I have determined with all the strange problems im going to rewire the entire damn car(which cant be that bad compared to todays standards) Is there a diagram or any walk throughs on what exactly i need to keep and what not? Whoever had it before wired up a MSD 6al and deleted a bunch of stuff but seems they did a terrible job as when i turn my key into run it trys to start on its own without being in the car lol

thanks in advance
Tap :twisted:

IrishTap

Re: Re-Wiring Diagram?

Post by IrishTap »

sorry i didn't mean to post this twice

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

It would help if you would include the details of the car….
Year, make, model, engine, etc.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

IrishTap wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:34 pm
when i turn my key into run it trys to start on its own without being in the car lol

thanks in advance
that could be the 2 small push on wires on the solenoid swapped.
Johno

IrishTap

Post by IrishTap »

Okay so its a 64 with a 302 and c4. He had a relay that was in there that was for something that isn't in there anymore it was causing some funky problems, deleted it and rewired the solenoid and it no longer try's to start on its own, there is no voltage regulator and the ground was cut to the alt also am i to assume he switched to an alt with internal or was it a mistake, kind of thinking i should just rewire everything stock then start over.

IrishTap

Post by IrishTap »

I ordered a alt and regulator that will be here tomorrow at noon. The prior owner cut the regulator out.

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

No regulator required if using a G3 or some type of 1 wire alternator. Guys consider that an upgrade unless looking for originality.

IrishTap

Post by IrishTap »

Thanks for the response , yeah this was not the a g3 or single wire, they just deleted the regulator, wild. lol but since i think the alt is good im gonna try the cheap fix first then if the alt is weak ill upgrade

FuzzyDriver

Post by FuzzyDriver »

I did a complete rewiring of everything under the hood and inside the dash on my '64 Comet. The only original wiring left is to the headlights and parking lights/turn signals since that was still working OK. I have tons of experience with Comet wiring now. Some PO replaced the generator with a GM alternator that has an internal regulator, so I removed the regulator (that they left partially hooked up for no good reason). Maybe that's what you have. What alternator model is yours?

I wouldn't mind sharing my new wiring diagrams, etc., but I'll warn you ahead of time there's nothing minor about the work I did and you may get by with lots less work.
OK...so she might need a little work.Image

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

FuzzyDriver wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:19 pm
I did a complete rewiring of everything under the hood and inside the dash on my '64 Comet. The only original wiring left is to the headlights and parking lights/turn signals since that was still working OK. I have tons of experience with Comet wiring now. Some PO replaced the generator with a GM alternator that has an internal regulator, so I removed the regulator (that they left partially hooked up for no good reason). Maybe that's what you have. What alternator model is yours?

I wouldn't mind sharing my new wiring diagrams, etc., but I'll warn you ahead of time there's nothing minor about the work I did and you may get by with lots less work.
You may want to check the condition of the wiring that you did not replace. I know that the factory wiring harness that I removed from my Comet many years ago had brittle insulation and corrosion. I wouldn’t take a chance of wire shorting out or even worse a fire. With only a couple of fuses in the factory harness there is not much protection. Just my opinion.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

IrishTap

Post by IrishTap »

Thanks for the responses guys, I pulled of the dash and started seeing more of the fiasco that was this other guys wiring, and then I found a old rats nest(literally) lol in the little drivers side floor vent which I thought I removed with all that other heater crap but I guess I didn't get to it, well they had a nice meal of old wires it looks like, and with the brittle nature as mentioned above I decided to get a wiring upgrade kit. Found the same one that seems to be at summit and all those sites on amazon for cheaper so I guess I am just going to do the right thing for myself and the car and Replace it all.

FuzzyDriver

Post by FuzzyDriver »

I appreciate your concern, Jim. My changes were so complete that there are no fuses under my dash. The new light switch I installed contains a new auto-breaker for the headlights. The power for the park/turn signal lights runs from B1 through a dash-mounted aircraft circuit breaker (the kind that pops out when it trips and allows resetting without, eh, landing). The upper firewall pass-through is gone and only the headlight and parking light/turn signal wires remain in use in the lower pass-through. I checked those few wires before accepting them. I even did away with the nickel-chromium resistor wire under the dash - I don't think anyone should use resistor wire, especially in that stock rats-nest behind the instrument cluster, due to fire safety concerns.
OK...so she might need a little work.Image